300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullet Proof Vests

Did you add any trauma plates to the bullet proof vests that were issued by your department/bought by you?

MDYOUNG,
    There is no such thing as bullet proof, only bullet resistant. Cerami trauma plates are a bit heavy to wear for underuniform wear. The vest I was issued comes with a soft trauma pad, basically the same thickenss as the whole vest, but in a smaller pocket centers above the sternum.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

I did, the soft trauma plates dont cost too much and the extra bulk isn't really noticable. I tested some old vests I had with and without the trauma plates and the plates did help to defeat rounds like the 7.62x25 and .357sig which defeated the vests without the trauma plates.

Comment

A Seasonal Officer was trying on vests today, and he added 2 plates to the vest. I was just wondering how much heavier they would be/how big of a difference they might make.

Comment

We were issued a small (4x6") hard front plate for our vests. I wear it, and most of the guys I work with do as well. It might help with pistol rounds, but it wont protect you from someone who means business with a 12 guage or a rifle.
          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

We have IMPAC plates as standard issue. The weight they add is negligible for what they offer. I was going to buy them myself when the chief returned from a conference where they did a live demo, he ordered them for the whole department on the spot.

Comment

I got both a hard and soft trauma pack for my vest. Don't use either for everyday duty, though I do use them for assignments where there are elevated risks, and when on a protection detail.
              Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
                I got both a hard and soft trauma pack for my vest. Don't use either for everyday duty, though I do use them for assignments where there are elevated risks, and when on a protection detail.
                ??????????
                This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

If you are out on patrol or out on any duty that involves mingling with your area's finest, wear all the body armor you can get. It bothers me that some people think wearing body armor is an option. If your gut is too big to comfortably wear the darn thing-loose some inches. If you don't like the way the vest looks when its on, get over it. There is no such thing as a pretty corpse.
                  "Its not cheating, unless you get caught."-Al Bundy

Comment

I would recommend a soft trauma plate.

I think I read somewhere that there is a concern with hard plates of a round ricocheting up and striking you in the face.

My newest vest actually came with a pocket in the front AND back. So I put a soft plate in the back also.
                    I don't know if the one in the back is for protection against my admin people or bad guys though

Comment

My vest has the pocket up front and in the back.

I've got the IMPAC ST plate up front between the soft trauma plate and vest itself. My understanding is that the soft trauma plate in front of the hard trauma will lessen the likelihood of a ricochet.
                      Brad

Comment

Don't forget to duct tape level IIIA SAPI plates on top of those soft plates.

I have set of soft trauma plates for my vest. Not that heavy and doesn't restrict my body movement.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3355 users online. 200 members and 3155 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X