300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determined 2 Make it

Simply put, looking for the best advice to get in self sponsored academy. Failed psych a week ago with an agency. Trying to apply in next couple of months with a different agency to avoid waiting a year to reapply. I Know how and why I failed the psych exam. I listened to bad advice that's why I am here, to get advice from the ones who have gone b4 me. 1st question, do i disclose the fact that I applied elsewhere, if so- do I give real reason 4 not continuing w/that agency?

In this profession, honesty is always the best policy. Full disclosure shows that you are mature enough to recognize and admit your mistakes. If telling the truth prevents you from becoming an officer or securing a position then it just wasn't meant to be.

Comment

Thanks 4 response, protect and serve. Full disclosure is how I talked my way into failing the Psych interview, thinking life experience would give me a great advantage being middle aged- WRONG. Selective disclosure is what personally known cops are telling me! I have a military veteran recent academy graduate friend who also failed his first psych, i'm gonna pick his brain and compare advice from you guys to help in my upcoming application. I don't think there's a cop in the world that doesn't believe in selective disclosure. I Listened to other psych failures advice online instead of asking cop friend or BI whom i personally know. This time I have to go with professional seasoned advice. I will whey ur advice with others and I definately appreciate ur time in responding.

Comment

Originally posted by JWKnight View Post
        Simply put, looking for the best advice to get in self sponsored academy. Failed psych a week ago with an agency. Trying to apply in next couple of months with a different agency to avoid waiting a year to reapply. I Know how and why I failed the psych exam. I listened to bad advice that's why I am here, to get advice from the ones who have gone b4 me. 1st question, do i disclose the fact that I applied elsewhere, if so- do I give real reason 4 not continuing w/that agency?
        Thanks 4 response, protect and serve. Full disclosure is how I talked my way into failing the Psych interview, thinking life experience would give me a great advantage being middle aged- WRONG. Selective disclosure is what personally known cops are telling me! I have a military veteran recent academy graduate friend who also failed his first psych, i'm gonna pick his brain and compare advice from you guys to help in my upcoming application. I don't think there's a cop in the world that doesn't believe in selective disclosure. I Listened to other psych failures advice online instead of asking cop friend or BI whom i personally know. This time I have to go with professional seasoned advice. I will whey ur advice with others and I definately appreciate ur time in responding.

Selective disclosure is what personally known cops are telling me!
        You do that and you MIGHT get hired.

And when the department finds out you didn't fully disclose you will be fired.

If you have a skeleton in your closet that will end up disqualifying you..............it is what it is. If you don't disclose something to your department -----it is lying by omission..................and that is an integrity problem.
        Last edited by Iowa #1603; 04-29-2011, 06:36 PM.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Friendly hint:

Use letters instead of numbers for forming words.
          "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
          I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

So you failed the psych because you told the truth and you think you should now NOT tell the truth about the issue because that, somehow, will get you hired? And once they find out you lied, you'll not only be fired, you'll be blackballed. Nice. The fact you have to ask us whether or not you should "give real reason 4 not continuing w/that agency" is utter BS and you aren't cut out for this job.
            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Suppose you define selective disclosure? Oh, I have a pretty good idea of what it means, I just want to hear your thoughts. Flunking a psych happens every day. It's entirely possible to flunk a psych one day, and pass the self same exam the next day. But, no, not you. You''re going to take a relatively simple matter, and blow yourself right out of the water. Your issue isn't so much the pysch exam, as it is a matter of personal integrity. Or, in your case the lack thereof. The mere fact that you're prepared to lie(and failure to fully disclose is a lie) speaks volumes to the fact that you're not suited to this profession. Try Mac Donald's.Heard last week that they're on a "Hiring Blitz".

Comment

Point well taken, Full disclosure it is. The timing of my last application was bad. I am involved in a lawsuit with former employer and I am awaiting response on appeal with military regarding GI Bill for education assistance. Those issues will clear before I apply with next agency, however it was too much baggage to have gone before a Psych. I will press on smartly but patiently!

Comment

Point well taken, Full disclosure it is. The timing of my last application was bad. I am involved in a lawsuit with former employer and I am awaiting response on appeal with military regarding GI Bill for education assistance. Those issues will clear before I apply with next agency, however it was too much baggage to have gone before a Psych. I will press on smartly but patiently!
                  Sounds cool, but there's still the problem of integrity. You WERE prepared to lie. That can come back and bite you, and probably will. Don't be surprised if it happens.

Comment

I was recruited because of my integrity by cops that personally know me. I'm not one that claims to have always wanted to be a cop. Circumstances led to this, however no one knew of legal pending issues. I am and will succeed when the time is right. Clear up pending issues then proceed. Thanks for all the advice guys! More diesel for the fuel tank!

Comment

I told 100% truth at the oral psych, but recent firing from job labels me high risk/pattern. No employer wants to hear of a prospect suing an ex-employer. That's an example of my selective disclosure. Told truth about termination but I was told by attorney's and cops to not tell about lawsuit. How do I defend myself! The answer is don't, wait until smoke clears! As for the written, I didn't ask any personally known cops, I googled for advice and paid the price.

Comment

I told 100% truth at the oral psych, but recent firing from job labels me high risk/pattern. No employer wants to hear of a prospect suing an ex-employer. That's an example of my selective disclosure. Told truth about termination but I was told by attorney's and cops to not tell about lawsuit. How do I defend myself! The answer is don't, wait until smoke clears! As for the written, I didn't ask any personally known cops, I googled for advice and paid the price.
                        Your example sucks. Pure, plain, and simple. You're substituting rationalization for integrity. Who's fault is it you were fired from the job? Are you going to only "selectively disclose" that? I don't really give a rusty flip about your "personally known cops".I also question your assertion that they selected you based on your integrity. Selected you for what? I'm not raising these issues simply to pull your chain. These are real time, real life issues that are going to cause you real time, real life problems as you attempt to advance in any process. Are you stupid enough to think an agency won't find out about your termination? Are you stupid enough to think they won't find out about your pending litigation? Do you honestly think your "selective disclosure" will do anything but torpedo you? Your problem(s) won't so much be the termination or the litigation, but the fact you were(are) willing to attempt to conceal them. I'm not the least bit convinced that you're not willing to continue to entertain the thought of lying on your application. You can argue correctly that what I think doesn't matter. What's going to nail you is what a Department thinks about your integrity issues.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                          Your example sucks. Pure, plain, and simple. You're substituting rationalization for integrity. Who's fault is it you were fired from the job? Are you going to only "selectively disclose" that? I don't really give a rusty flip about your "personally known cops".I also question your assertion that they selected you based on your integrity. Selected you for what? I'm not raising these issues simply to pull your chain. These are real time, real life issues that are going to cause you real time, real life problems as you attempt to advance in any process. Are you stupid enough to think an agency won't find out about your termination? Are you stupid enough to think they won't find out about your pending litigation? Do you honestly think your "selective disclosure" will do anything but torpedo you? Your problem(s) won't so much be the termination or the litigation, but the fact you were(are) willing to attempt to conceal them. I'm not the least bit convinced that you're not willing to continue to entertain the thought of lying on your application. You can argue correctly that what I think doesn't matter. What's going to nail you is what a Department thinks about your integrity issues.
                          This^^^ 100% and as Fred Sanford would say - period.
                          It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
                          Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

You are all so right. I made a bad choice of judgement, but will not rationalize. That is over and I am moving on. Don't mean to pull your chain but I soon might be the backup that covers your rear, scary thought huh.

Comment

You are all so right. I made a bad choice of judgement, but will not rationalize. That is over and I am moving on. Don't mean to pull your chain but I soon might be the backup that covers your rear, scary thought huh.
                              Yes it really is...................
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2898 users online. 145 members and 2753 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X