300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could I look too young to get hired?

Hi guys, name's Dan. I searched the forums to find something similar to my question but didn't find anything, so if there happens to be one out there, my apologies, I must have missed it. Anyway, I'm 21 years old, but I kind of have a "baby" face. I kind of look like I'm 16. I grew out facial hair to look a bit older, and sometimes it works, but most of the time people make note on how young I look. I have gotten my Illinois P.O.W.E.R. card and there are a bunch of departments I'll be testing for coming up. I was just wondering, could my looking so young hinder my chances on being considered for the job? I have this notion in my head that to be a police officer you have to I guess look intimidating in order to be taken seriously? Maybe I'm just psyching myself out? Any feedback would be great, thanks!

No way man...but if you grew a mustache you might get more respect...

Comment

Originally posted by danbud View Post
      Hi guys, name's Dan. I searched the forums to find something similar to my question but didn't find anything, so if there happens to be one out there, my apologies, I must have missed it. Anyway, I'm 21 years old, but I kind of have a "baby" face. I kind of look like I'm 16. I grew out facial hair to look a bit older, and sometimes it works, but most of the time people make note on how young I look. I have gotten my Illinois P.O.W.E.R. card and there are a bunch of departments I'll be testing for coming up. I was just wondering, could my looking so young hinder my chances on being considered for the job? I have this notion in my head that to be a police officer you have to I guess look intimidating in order to be taken seriously? Maybe I'm just psyching myself out? Any feedback would be great, thanks!
      id start looking for another career with that in your head...
      Originally posted by crass cop
      Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Comment

Ha thanks. I did grow one actually, and it has helped a lot.

Comment

It's really not that big of a deal. I've been with my agency for 4 1/2 years and am still one of the youngest, and I look it. I have been carded for chewing tobacco at gas stations while working, I'm plainclothes but still have the badge and gun. The clerk suggested that the badge could be fake. I guess she has a problem selling dip to an underage kids, but wasn't bothered by the fact that she may have a 17 year old in her store with a gun and a fake badge.
          You will have older folks talk down to you sometimes because of your age, or youthful good looks in my case. That will get tiring for you, as well as people asking if you are old enough to carry the gun you are wearing. You just have to set em straight. Work on your self confidence. People can tell if it is lacking. You want the public to be reassured by your presence.

Comment

Originally posted by LaPlaca View Post
            id start looking for another career with that in your head...
            I wouldn't say that. Many people, especially ones just starting out in the field, confuse looking intimidating or tough with commanding respect from your appearance. When I was just starting out I was 6'2" and about 155 pounds. I figured i'd be viewed as "too small" or "too skinny." I never thought I looked too young, just that I might not be as respected because I was slender. I've since put on about 35-40 pounds of muscle and (mostly) healthy body mass and realized that the way people view me now isn't any different than then.

I think he should continue looking for a career in law enforcement if it's what he wants to do, just realize that looking intimidating isn't the goal.
            Originally posted by K40
            To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
            ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Had a buddy I served in the corps grow one while we were overseas...we both had the baby face going, but he got more respect from the locals...I would've but I couldnt grow facial hair very well back then...haha

Comment

Well LaPlaca, I know I would make a good police officer. I didn't have that thought about looking young until I talked to some security guards at work who kind of joked about it. It made me wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by danbud View Post
                  You don't have to "look the part" to be a cop. I think different types of looks present different challenges for some officers when dealing with people. (i.e. Smaller statures of officers) The perception of the general public may get them into some fights on the street. These officers generally have to have better verbal skills to de-escalate situations. It can be helpful in some cases and can hurt you in others. If you don't get hired, don't plan on saying that it's because you look to young...
                  1. Nobody will believe you.
                  2. Many departments have people on that look 12.

I still have people (some drunk dude) say that I look too young to be a cop, after 6 years on the job (26 yoa now). I have noticed that some of the best road drug interdictions start off with a cop that looks like he's a big dork. Although this is my opinion, I think this plays a HUGE role in getting people to cooperate with them on the stop. (i.e. Giving consent when normally denying it) They simply don't think the cop knows what he's doing, and they're the one's that generally pull the most dope. So, do I think looks plays a big role in law enforcement, yes to some extent. But, I doubt you wouldn't get hired because of it. If you're more qualified than the other applicants, you should get the job.
                  "I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement."
                  -Calvin Coolidge

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unk

Comment

I have the same problem as you danbud, im 21 but look like I could barely have my drivers license. Just a few months ago I took a written exam. One of the officers pulled me out of line and asked me if I was old enough to take the test. Kinda puts some doubt in if your going to get hired, but its just something we have to deal with.
                    Last edited by thepizzle44; 04-27-2011, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone, you've been a great help. Really appreciate it.

Comment

You could work vice and walk the streets looking for a "date"...haha...I think LaPlaca was eye ballin you with some interest...haha

Comment

haha I could always do that, you're right. I'll put that in the "maybe" pile.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm 25 and my facial has started to grow a little better, but I get asked all the time how old I am. It gets old but it isn't as bad as it was when I first started at 22.

Comment

Don't sweat it as has been said. I'm 6'00 and weigh a 120 lbs soaking wet. Did I mention I look like I'm 16? Seriously, the joke in my academy 3 years ago was that I'd be the first cop to ever work undercover in middle school. At first I had some issues dealing with people that developed strictly from my confidence but since those issues were overcome, I have zero issues.

I do get asked all the time how old I am and tell folks I'm a year or two older than I am. I also tell them my middle school deal and that always breaks the ice. As a side note, I almost did get to ride in plain clothes on a middle school bus to break a 911 prank call ring up but it turned out to be 2nd graders. I can't pass for an eight year old so that made my day lol.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6230 users online. 356 members and 5874 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X