300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USMS (CSCEP), Graduating College, Looking For Input On Best Solution

I'm graduating this may with a bachelor's in criminal justice from a state university in Illinois. I've applied for the CSCEP with the Marshals Service and passed the medical and background, but since the budget freeze they aren't able to hire interns. To salvage this opportunity I am contemplating postponing my degree certification and still be in the running for the internship, (but no word on how long that will take). I've also applied to police departments, county jail, and TSA, I'm looking for input on what the best solution would be in order to become a deputy US Marshal as it is an incredibly important decision I'm about to make. Do I work as a part-time TSO at the airport and postpone my degree? Or should I graduate next month and try to get a job as a full time police officer and then apply under FCIP (whenever vacancies become open) ?

Originally posted by mmagnu2 View Post
    I'm graduating this may with a bachelor's in criminal justice from a state university in Illinois. I've applied for the CSCEP with the Marshals Service and passed the medical and background, but since the budget freeze they aren't able to hire interns. To salvage this opportunity I am contemplating postponing my degree certification and still be in the running for the internship, (but no word on how long that will take). I've also applied to police departments, county jail, and TSA, I'm looking for input on what the best solution would be in order to become a deputy US Marshal as it is an incredibly important decision I'm about to make. Do I work as a part-time TSO at the airport and postpone my degree? Or should I graduate next month and try to get a job as a full time police officer and then apply under FCIP (whenever vacancies become open) ?
    Finish your degree. With a month left to graduate, you'd be a fool to stop. You can always apply when they have openings after. If you can, can you go back for a Master's degree and still be considered for FCIP? I can't see wasting all that money for a degree and not finishing it.

Comment

You would be a fool to put off your degree when you are less than a month out. I would hold it against you in selection process.

Comment

The situation is that I am able to postpone the certification of my degree and still be enrolled in school; this means that my credits will be completed but I will not have a degree until I submit my intent to graduate and leave school. Only reason I would do this would be to still be eligible to participate in the CSCEP. You have to be at least a half-time student in school when they offer you the co-op. As soon as I receive my degree I automatically become disqualified from the program. USMS is my career goal therefore I am looking for insight to whether accept my degree, get into law enforcement, and apply for FCIP or postpone my degree and continue waiting for the CSCEP to come through. (by the way, yes you may be considered for the FCIP if you go back for your masters, actually all you need to apply for FCIP is a bachelors, but you can not have any degrees to get into CSCEP, you need to be at least a half-time undergrad to be eligible for CSCEP)

Comment

A. FINISH YOUR FREAKING DEGREE!!!!!!!

B. FCIP is done...over....not going to be used ever again......

C. You don't need the CSCEP program to get on with the USMS..... I know several that went though the old Intern program/Co-op program that were never hired afterwards.....

D. You are going to be completeing against folks with degrees, advanced degrees, LEO experience, military expereince and/or a combo of all that.... Do be competitive you at least need to have your dgree.....

E. In my opinion....your best bet is to finish your degree and look for a LE job.....and go for it.... When USMS finally hired (probably this summer) there are going to be 5,000 - 10,000 people apply..... especially with this economy..... It's going to be tough to get hired on the first time around....not impossible but extremely tough....especially if you don't have a degree......

F. If you get some LE experience....have your degree.....next time around hiring opens up, you will be in a much better position to get hired on.....

You are a fool if you don't get your degree......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5755 users online. 337 members and 5418 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X