Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommondation of non-fiction books that assist with being a cop?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPDBennaiah
    replied
    There are three Books in my Unit at all Times. Policeman's Bible, On Combat, and The State Code book. I've found all three useful in different situations.

True Blue- Stories told by the men who lived them. is a Good read also, not necessarily for training but Just a good reminder of the good and bad in this line of work.

Leave a comment:

• ummone
    replied
    The Bible....

Leave a comment:

• cgravines
    replied
    I found On Combat to be more directly related to police.

Leave a comment:

• H00PDIE
    replied
    I looked at both "on killing" and "on combat", I plan on getting both of them but can only get one right now. Would anyone recommend one over the other to get started?

Leave a comment:

• Sleuth
    replied
    marty33, they have no problem with killing cops! Just check how many officers killed in the last few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• marty33
    replied
    "Street Survial" by Charles Remsberg. That book had an impact on me as a new patrolman because it drove home the message that some bad guys have no problem with trying to kill a cop.

Leave a comment:

• Code6Chuck
    replied
    "Boot" by William Dunn

Leave a comment:

• cgravines
    replied
    Originally posted by Michigan View Post
    ON COMBAT and ON KILLING

Both by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman.

Leave a comment:

• Sleuth
    replied
    Officer Down, Code Three (Brooks) , Signal Zero (by Kirkham). Both older, Officer Down lays out the basics of officer Survival. Signal Zero is the tale of a college CJ professor who becomes a cop, and learns that what he had been teaching was 100% WRONG!

Leave a comment:

• Richb353
    replied
    Training at the Speed of Life ~ Ken Murray

Most of the book deals with scenario based training, but the first 1/3 deals with instructor basics and how important training is to the officer and to his agency.

I keep a Bible and On Killing in my gear bag.

Leave a comment:

• CruiserClass
    replied
    Force Under Pressure: Good book on dealing with the stress and mess of LE
    Surviving Street Patrol: Good book on both tactics and being effective on the streets
    Tactics for Criminal Patrol: Dated, but still some useful information.

Leave a comment:

• OneAdam12
    replied
    Search and Seizure.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CGUQ8wIwAw#

Leave a comment:

• Zeitgeist
    replied
    I Love A Cop. For families of LEOs.........

Leave a comment:

• RGDS
    replied
    The Penal Code of whatever state you want to work in and the legal opinions of that State's Attorney General and regional District Attorneys.

The above books are nice reference, but a good majority of this job is about explaining to people WHY you are NOT going to do anything about non crime they called you on.

Leave a comment:

• FL Trooper
    replied
    As said, On Combat and On killing. I also like Criminal Interdiction by Steven Varnell. Excellent book about officer safety and going beyond the traffic stop.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3615 users online. 176 members and 3439 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X