Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommondation of non-fiction books that assist with being a cop?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommondation of non-fiction books that assist with being a cop?

I had to attend a class before I went to Afghanistan last year which was taught by military police(I'm military). The class taught skills like taking control over a situation, detaining, use of force, and self aid. One of the instructors suggested a book called "Verbal Judo". I recently bought the book and started reading it when I can. I'm separating from the military soon and looking into Law Enforcement as a new career path.

I've read several books pertaining to the military but ran into a few that seemed to purposed to make the author money and not teach the reader any skills. I'm trying to minimize this as much as possible for my police reading. So...

Is there any other books that any of you could recommend that's worth the time and the money?

Thank you for you time.

ON COMBAT and ON KILLING

Both by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman.

Comment

As said, On Combat and On killing. I also like Criminal Interdiction by Steven Varnell. Excellent book about officer safety and going beyond the traffic stop.

Comment

The Penal Code of whatever state you want to work in and the legal opinions of that State's Attorney General and regional District Attorneys.

The above books are nice reference, but a good majority of this job is about explaining to people WHY you are NOT going to do anything about non crime they called you on.
        semper destravit

Comment

I Love A Cop. For families of LEOs.........
          Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Search and Seizure.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CGUQ8wIwAw#
            Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Force Under Pressure: Good book on dealing with the stress and mess of LE
              Surviving Street Patrol: Good book on both tactics and being effective on the streets
              Tactics for Criminal Patrol: Dated, but still some useful information.
              I miss you, Dave.
              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Training at the Speed of Life ~ Ken Murray

Most of the book deals with scenario based training, but the first 1/3 deals with instructor basics and how important training is to the officer and to his agency.

I keep a Bible and On Killing in my gear bag.
                Tac Six One

"For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~Romans 13

Comment

Officer Down, Code Three (Brooks) , Signal Zero (by Kirkham). Both older, Officer Down lays out the basics of officer Survival. Signal Zero is the tale of a college CJ professor who becomes a cop, and learns that what he had been teaching was 100% WRONG!
                  "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                  John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
                    ON COMBAT and ON KILLING

Both by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman.
                    West Chester University B.S. Criminal Justice: May 2009
                    Delaware County Community College Municipal Police Academy Class 126: July-Dec 2009
                    Full time Patrolman in Chester County, PA.

Comment

"Boot" by William Dunn

Comment

"Street Survial" by Charles Remsberg. That book had an impact on me as a new patrolman because it drove home the message that some bad guys have no problem with trying to kill a cop.

Comment

marty33, they have no problem with killing cops! Just check how many officers killed in the last few weeks.
                          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                          John Stuart Mill

Comment

I looked at both "on killing" and "on combat", I plan on getting both of them but can only get one right now. Would anyone recommend one over the other to get started?

Comment

I found On Combat to be more directly related to police.
                              West Chester University B.S. Criminal Justice: May 2009
                              Delaware County Community College Municipal Police Academy Class 126: July-Dec 2009
                              Full time Patrolman in Chester County, PA.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5510 users online. 295 members and 5215 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X