Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can any officer (preferably FL) share their Miranda Rights Form for the Deaf?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can any officer (preferably FL) share their Miranda Rights Form for the Deaf?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a Miranda Rights Form for the Deaf, and if there is a specific Rights Waiver Form to go with it I'd like that too.

If anybody has it in PDF or Word it woul help. I'd like a FL specific one, but a generic one will work.

Thanks in advance,

D30
    "Just when you think you know all the answers, we change the questions."
    -"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Why not give the standard 5th amendment rights form? Also, since when are rights forms state specific?
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

We have department printed Miranda cards. Instead of reading it to them we just hand them the card. Simple.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by Smurfette
      Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
      Originally posted by DAL
      You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

^^ thats what I would think too. Just let them read it and if they wanna "talk", hand then a en and some paper and get ready for a long, long day with a LOT of writing
        "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
        The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
        sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
        Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

In my academy textbook they touched on the fact that (according to the text) that we have to provide this specific form to those who are deaf or hard of hearing. I'm assuming that it includes the right to have an interpreter present for any questioning, etc. I'm finish studying up for my state exam, and as I have been going through the text I have been trying find copies of forms, or sources of information that may provide helpful that whre listed in the text.when I patrol down the road. Some more examples are .PDF forms of certain Victim's Right's forms, etc. that we have to provide and obtain a receipt for per FL statute. Others include perusing Resources for Law Enforcement on FDLE's website. You get the general idea.

I thought it would be just another useful form to have on hand on a thumb drive...should the situation arise where I might have to print one.
          Last edited by Department 30; 04-22-2011, 08:49 PM.
          -"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Comment

I'm also thinking it would behoove me to have my Operating Orders or S.O.P on there as well if it's in an electronic format?

Any other suggestions as to "thumb driveable" type resources to have on hand? Maybe an electronic copy of the Hazmat Emergency Response Guidbook, drug recognition charts, etc.?

Thanks for the responses so far.
            -"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Comment

First off (and I know I'm being picky here) but the rights are their 5th amendment rights, not Miranda. Miranda was a man...in a court case. It's an odd sticking point with me when I see Officers write in reports that _____ was advised and/or waived their Miranda rights. No. They didn't. They might have waived their 5th amendment right or they might have invoked a particular right (counsel, remain silent, etc).

Sorry, I digress...I do that from time to time...my apologies.

Yes, you do need to afford them the right to an interpreter; however, in my few experiences with interviewing a hearing impaired person, they could read. I, however, waited for the interpretor and ensured the form was signed to them and they (as always with me in my interviews) initialed beside each sentence and signed the bottom.
              sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Department 30 View Post
                I'm also thinking it would behoove me to have my Operating Orders or S.O.P on there as well if it's in an electronic format?

Any other suggestions as to "thumb driveable" type resources to have on hand? Maybe an electronic copy of the Hazmat Emergency Response Guidbook, drug recognition charts, etc.?

Thanks for the responses so far.
                Honey, think about it...how are you going to have time to use a hazmat guide via the computer? That's why you have quick reference quides in your vehicle.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                  First off (and I know I'm being picky here) but the rights are their 5th amendment rights, not Miranda. Miranda was a man...in a court case. It's an odd sticking point with me when I see Officers write in reports that _____ was advised and/or waived their Miranda rights. No. They didn't. They might have waived their 5th amendment right or they might have invoked a particular right (counsel, remain silent, etc).
                  If nothing else, I hate answering inane questions in court. "Officer.. what did you mean by "'their rights'?" Being specific in reports cuts that out.

Arrested two deaf people in my career, neither case required me to take a statement from them.
                  Last edited by Dingo990; 04-22-2011, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Smurfette,

You have the right to be picky because you're correct. I'll make sure to watch out for this in the future. I have the physical hazmat guide already. I was just brainstorming.

I guess it boils down to being extra careful when explaining their rights, and the waiver of them should they choose it. And of course, documentation, documentation, documentation!

Thanks everyone.
                    -"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Comment

Guess I've never had this situation, but I'd guess I'd most likely give them a written copy of their 5th Amendment rights and have them sign off on them if they wish. This would take a while, but I'd write down the questions and have them answer on the same sheet of paper. I often times write down the question in my notes and write their response verbatim next to it.

It would be nearly impossible without a translator to do an actual interrogation in this case. Just my .02..
                      "I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement."
                      -Calvin Coolidge

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unk

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4625 users online. 279 members and 4346 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X