300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removal of Driver License

My grandfather is 78 years old and now presents with full blown Alzheimers dimensia. Originally he split his time between California and Washington (6 months at each of his houses). He claims residency in Washington and therefore has a license issued by that State, but no license issued by California. We've filled out the "request for reexamination" forms for both Washington and California and sent mailed them in, along with supporting documents from his doctors explaining his condition. Is there anything else we as his family can do to have his driving priviliges removed? We took his keys away and hid them but are not sure if he keeps a spare set stashed somewhere. We love him but he gets so confused and disoriented we do not want him getting in his car and driving off somehow, but we want him to keep his car so we can drive him to his doctors appointment (car has disabled placards).

You've done the right thing. DOes a member of your family have POA over his affairs?
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Disable his car......................

Pull the coil wire and keep it in a safe place.

The state taking his license won't make any difference-------------he won't remember that he no longer has a license.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Soap Box time now. {Climbs on the Box}

A person who is suffering from Alzheimer's Disease has absolutely no business not being supervised 24/7/365. They are a danger to themselves more than to others, but they are a disaster waiting to happen.

It is little things----------

Like forgetting to turn off the cooking range after heating a can of soup…

Deciding to go outside at midnight and accidently locking themselves out of the house in 32 degree weather….in stocking feet and a robe......

Taking a walk at noon and forgetting where he is while he is in the middle of crossing a busy street…..

Ok EVERYONE, including the patient wants to be independent and not be a burden to their family. No one wants to have to pay the high cost of nursing home care, but unless you can provide constant care to your relative---------------you need to seriously consider residential care

Providing constant care is a very hard proposition for a family member. Alzheimer's care is 24/7. A family member has to sleep---the patient might not.

There are alternatives to Nursing home care for some people---Assisted Living & Adult Day Care can help until the disease runs it's course ...................

Credentials-----------------------
      My mother is in her 12th year of suffering from the plague & 6 yrs of nursing home care
      My sister took care of her for 5 yrs before it became too much/too dangerous.

My father in law is in his 5th year & 3rd yr of nursing home care.
      He lasted 2 weeks at my Brother-in-Laws house before needing more care than was available

{Climbs off Soap Box}
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Just as Iowa said, pull the coil wire. It's an easy way to disable the vehicle and not very difficult to put back on when you need it. This is exactly what we had to do with my grandfather while he was still with us.

Alzheimers is a very difficult disease for both that patient and the family. My prayers for you and your family from someone who has been in your situation.

Comment

Thank you for trying to address this issue before he kills someone.

Comment

Yeah. We wanted to stop him before killed someone too. I would not say he's a danger to himself or others...he can not even stand up and make it to the bathroom without assistance anymore. We've hired a live-in caretaker and I got into his safe and we removed all keys to his vehicle from the house, so there would be no chance of him even starting the car.

Comment

Originally posted by radji View Post
              I would not say he's a danger to himself or others...he can not even stand up and make it to the bathroom without assistance anymore. .
              In that case the entire original post about having his drivers license canceled is moot. It wouldn't be necessary to do so. Just let his license expire and forget about it.

That is the tactic we used with both my mother and father- in- law
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Where in California is he? If he's in Sun City shoot me a PM. I'll help you out.

Hey Iowa I stole your signature. I had to tell someone to FOCUS today.
                God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                  Disable his car......................

Pull the coil wire and keep it in a safe place.

The state taking his license won't make any difference-------------he won't remember that he no longer has a license.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Soap Box time now. {Climbs on the Box}

A person who is suffering from Alzheimer's Disease has absolutely no business not being supervised 24/7/365. They are a danger to themselves more than to others, but they are a disaster waiting to happen.

It is little things----------

Like forgetting to turn off the cooking range after heating a can of soup…

Deciding to go outside at midnight and accidently locking themselves out of the house in 32 degree weather….in stocking feet and a robe......

Taking a walk at noon and forgetting where he is while he is in the middle of crossing a busy street…..

Ok EVERYONE, including the patient wants to be independent and not be a burden to their family. No one wants to have to pay the high cost of nursing home care, but unless you can provide constant care to your relative---------------you need to seriously consider residential care

Providing constant care is a very hard proposition for a family member. Alzheimer's care is 24/7. A family member has to sleep---the patient might not.

There are alternatives to Nursing home care for some people---Assisted Living & Adult Day Care can help until the disease runs it's course ...................

Credentials-----------------------
                  My mother is in her 12th year of suffering from the plague & 6 yrs of nursing home careiye
                  My sister took care of her for 5 yrs before it became too much/too dangerous.

My father in law is in his 5th year & 3rd yr of nursing home care.
                  He lasted 2 weeks at my Brother-in-Laws house before needing more care than was available

{Climbs off Soap Box}
                  You and your family deserve saint robes. I have not dealt with it daily yet but I fear in a year or two I will be.
                  Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

No, we're much further South, down in Oceanside. In any case, its better to remove the keys and give one set to the caretaker to have on them at all times...that way in an emergency he can be driven to urgent care faster than it would take an ambulance to arrive since he lives so close to the hospital. I do agree with Iowa in some aspects; we worry if he does not have someone with him at all times he may do something mildly dangerous, like turn the heater up to 90 and leave it on all day. The other day he tried to use his laptop like an ATM machine, so we ended up having to look for his bank card again. As far as his POA goes, its double sided. His estate executor and POA all name his late wife. My step grandma has been dead for 7 years and he never got around to changing the papers, so that is something my mother and her siblings will be doing next week with the lawyers. On the upside, my step grandma had MS and so grandpa has been paying for a high premium insurance policy that includes live in caretaker costs. So this will be one less thing we have to worry about.

Comment

I would not normally resurrect a dead thread like this (the Mods at the NBR would burn me at the stake) but I wanted to thank all of you whom shared your input on how to handle a sick old man (especially IOWA). The last two years have been unbelievably hard. But we made it thru it and now I don't have to worry about my grandpa so much. Muchas garcias.

Comment

Originally posted by radji View Post
                        I would not normally resurrect a dead thread like this (the Mods at the NBR would burn me at the stake) but I wanted to thank all of you whom shared your input on how to handle a sick old man (especially IOWA). The last two years have been unbelievably hard. But we made it thru it and now I don't have to worry about my grandpa so much. Muchas garcias.
                        Resurrecting old threads for good reason isn't really frowned upon here.

My mother (mercifully) lost her battle this last spring & is at peace now & the father in law has passed to the "lays in bed most of the time" stage

It doesn't get easier as time goes on , but one does what has to be done.

Good luck and make sure to take care of yourself

Comment

Thank you. My Grandpa is not totally out of touch with reality yet, but he's getting there. The good news is he's not resistant to having caretakers now so I don't need to be there everyday with him like I did in 2011 and 2012 (and now into 2013) I have concentrated on getting my own life back on track. That includes being interviewed (twice) for an Auto Tech position for the CHP. I expect to hear back from them by the end of next week.
                          Last edited by radji; 03-12-2013, 02:28 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5123 users online. 317 members and 4806 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X