Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many agencies did you apply to before getting hired?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many agencies did you apply to before getting hired?

Just curious. I wil be starting the application process in just under a year and half and I am aware that the job market is pretty brutal out there these days.

I'm definitely going to apply to all of the agencies near my hometown, but I have a feeling I'm going to have to branch out and looke elsewhere as well.

5. got a job offer from 2, took the one that was the best fit for me.

Comment

More than 20. Hired by 3. One as a reserve deputy, and as a CO at two agencies.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Just the one I'm currently with...
        Carpe Noctem

Comment

I pretty much shotgunned my applications. Different agencies, local, federal. I did a lot of my applications through usajobs.gov. Finaly got 2 offers with US VAPD. One in some small town Pennsylvania one here in NH. NH offered about 7,000 more a year than the one in Penn.
          GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

I guess I'm the lucky contestant on this one. When I got out of the Marine Corps (retirement), I applied at two agencies (1 local, 1 Fed). Was in the academy (local) 4 months after application. The day before my academy graduation, got a letter with my Fed offer. In the end, I decided to stay local. After 20 yrs of moving around with no real roots, I decided against going Fed. The only draw to go Fed was keeping my Fed time.

Comment

Originally posted by jshinobi View Post
              I guess I'm the lucky contestant on this one. When I got out of the Marine Corps (retirement), I applied at two agencies (1 local, 1 Fed). Was in the academy (local) 4 months after application. The day before my academy graduation, got a letter with my Fed offer. In the end, I decided to stay local. After 20 yrs of moving around with no real roots, I decided against going Fed. The only draw to go Fed was keeping my Fed time.
              I retired from the Navy July 2009. All the local agencies where I retired had a hiring freeze. 2009 was not a good year to retire. I didn't get picked up for a federal job till March 2010.

Comment

When I was going through my VA rating physical, the doctor mentioned applying for the VA PD. I hadn't really though of it as an option. The agencies I applied to were the only ones who showed up for our TAPS (we have 18 local agencies). I figured they were the ones who were interested in hiring veterans (actively interested), so I went with them first.

Comment

120 requests, 98 applics. submitted---took about 2 years to get on the job.........

Comment

25 tests, 18 months

Comment

7, missed a test date with 1, washed out at oral boards with 1, hired by 2, left process with other 3.
                      I miss you, Dave.
                      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by jshinobi View Post
                        When I was going through my VA rating physical, the doctor mentioned applying for the VA PD. I hadn't really though of it as an option. The agencies I applied to were the only ones who showed up for our TAPS (we have 18 local agencies). I figured they were the ones who were interested in hiring veterans (actively interested), so I went with them first.
                        It's not a bad job. Problem is you have to be willing to move where the job is. I retired from the Navy in San Diego, bought a house before my retirement thinking I could get on with a local LEO, had to move to New Hampshire for this job. Good part is once you're in with the US VAPD you can move to other VA hospitals when announcement are out. No having to go to academy again, and you just move and start up quickly with another VAMC.

Comment

3, got picked up by no. 3
                          "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
                          I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

I tested with 12-15 agencies. Took two years or so to get hired by one, but I had a feeling that a couple of those agencies were about to give me offers.

Comment

I applied to about 20+ agencies around Central Florida for my first job in 1995. This time around (2010), I did more homework narrowing down my search to about 6 agencies I specifically knew I would want to work for.

Do your homework so you reasonably know what you are asking for. My first agency was the first one to offer me a job of the 20+ I applied to and I was very lucky it turned out to be a good match. Like they say about significant others, be careful not to confuse "Ms. Right" for "Ms. Right Now".

Good Luck,
                              Tac Six One

"For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~Romans 13

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3264 users online. 188 members and 3076 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X