300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a cop called my mom?

I was recently pulled over for speeding. 49 in a 25... I know, bad.

The cop was not happy with me to say the least. Apparently, he didn't think I cared about being pulled over, so he demanded for my mom's phone number, and he called her, and told her I was speeding. Is he allowed to do this? He was also hiding in a driveway, but I believe he had permission from the house owner.

How old are you?

edited to add: We are allowed to 'hide' you know. And btw, at twice the legal limit, I'd have taken you to jail.
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Yes, it's a myth that we can't hide. Yes, he can call your mother on you. Technically, it's really no different than putting it in the newspaper if he wrote you a ticket. It's public record. If he didn't, you're lucky and he's a very nice officer. You should be thanking him...

Like Smurf said, you're pretty lucky he didn't take you to jail to teach you the lesson. Calling your mom should not be what you're worried about. I'm guessing you had an attitude judging by your post.

I've called several parents and "told" on them. Sometimes that's a worse punishment than a fine/jail anyway.
      "I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement."
      -Calvin Coolidge

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unk

Comment

When my son was in high school he was stopped for DWHUA (Driving While Head up you know where). The officer was kind enough to call my wife and explain the violation. My son did not worry about if the cop was hiding nor that his mother was called, he worried about what I would do to him.

He lost the keys to the cars for a period of time, a few other restrictions too, but I made him go to the officer and tell him "thank you" for calling his parents AND apologize for driving in a way that placed himself and his friends in danger. We had a discussion about how when the littlest thing goes wrong, the police are not issuing tickets or warnings, they are picking up the dead bodies of young men and women.

Speed limits are generally set for a reason. Traveling twice the speed limit is a disregard for the safety of you, your passengers and many other people who just might be in the area and end up in the way of your speeding vehicle.

Be glad that the office may had saved your or some else's life. Hug your mom. Tell her you are sorry and start driving that a responsible person. Just think about not being able to hug you mom, because you were in an collision and suffered a broken neck at the C3 level. You have no feeling below you neck or any muscle strength. Someone had to brush your teeth, clean you up, take care of your every need because you drove recklessly.

Be glad the phone call was not to your mom teller her that you are dead.

The officer did you a favor, be smart enough to realize it and thank-full for another opportunity to be a safe driver.

I use to hide all of the time and snatch speeders all of the time. They don't pay be to fight fair the pay me to effectively do a job.

Drive safely, you may not have an second chance next time.
        Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

ROFLMAO! You're lucky you didn't get a ride to jail. I can imagine how the phone call went. These are the kind of stops that belong on YouTube.
          Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

It isn't my job to call your Mom for a traffic violation. Personally, and I'm sure there are an ample number of cops on this board who disagree with me, but no, I would not have called your Mom. I think the officer was out of line. He writes the citation and goes back on patrol. I'm also surprised at how many of them would have arrested you.
            Retired

Comment

Originally posted by retired View Post
              I'm also surprised at how many of them would have arrested you.
              20 over in MO and not only can I take you to jail to post bond, our County Judge will toss folks in jail for 30 days for driving like a jackwagon.........

And yes, I have called parents as a City and County Cop......great PR at times when you are dealing with silly things.....

In this case, I would have cited and released unless I knew the parents and/or the kid was acting like an idiot.....which is what I am suspecting.....

Comment

some depts have an SOP that parents have to be contacted when a juvi is involved

I wouldnt have locked you up for only 20ish over and I would only call a parent if you were being a pain in my ***
                Originally posted by Rudy8116
                The only reason I have one in the chamber at all times is because it is impossible to have two in.

Originally posted by CruiserClass
                OC is my last option. I've never met anyone immune to electricity or physics.

Comment

While I was a Navy MP in Pearl Harbor a Honolulu Police Sgt. had a kid call his mom and explain why he was pulled over on Navy property drifting in her Lexus. He only got a trespassing on Federal property warning, as well as a being yelled at over the cell phone from his mom. His mother was curious why she had to buy new tires so soon after buying the car.
                  GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

It isn't my job to call your Mom for a traffic violation. Personally, and I'm sure there are an ample number of cops on this board who disagree with me, but no, I would not have called your Mom. I think the officer was out of line. He writes the citation and goes back on patrol. I'm also surprised at how many of them would have arrested you.
                    I guess neither one of us were there. But, my guess is that the kid wasn't taking it too seriously that he was pulled over. I agree, it's not your job to call parents, however it is (was) your job to try to make an impact on people's driving habits. After all, that's supposed to be the reason people write tickets anyway. If that involves calling parents if I think that's going to help, I'll do it and I certainly wouldn't call that out of line.

Would I have arrested him? No, but he's lucky he wasn't arrested. I know of officers that would have. (Above) At that point, it's not just speeding, it can be argued that it's careless or reckless driving. To say the officer was out of line for calling someone that he thinks may have a better influence on the OP's driving habits, is out of line.

This is coming from an officer that writes very few citations... If I think I can get someone to slow down without writing them a ticket, I certainly will. (In this case, he most definitely deserved a ticket given his "can he do that" attitude) Just trying to let ya know where I'm coming from.

FWIW, I'm extremely jealous of you for being retired.
                    "I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement."
                    -Calvin Coolidge

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unk

Comment

Once more, how old are you? I'll bet you're a juvenile (in more ways than one). And, yeah, given your admitted attitude, I'd have called your Mother/Father in a freakin heartbeat. Where is it written that we can't hide? Oh, and here's a thought, Junior. Had you been driving with your head in the proper place, it wouldn't have mattered whether the cop was hiding or not. Hope your Mom suspended your license. I love parental suspensions, that is when Mom or Dad have the guts to do it.

Comment

I'm a little surprised at your position. You're certainly entitled to it, perhaps it worked for you,,,,,,,,,,but IMHO, the call was entirely proper. Certainly, a call to the parent might not work all the time, but when it does, it can have a very profound and positive effect on the young driver.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                          I'm a little surprised at your position. You're certainly entitled to it, perhaps it worked for you,,,,,,,,,,but IMHO, the call was entirely proper. Certainly, a call to the parent might not work all the time, but when it does, it can have a very profound and positive effect on the young driver.
                          Very much so. I made that call a couple of months ago and had father contact me two days afterward, he told me how much he appreciated the call and that his daughter had to stand up to eat...

Some of you young timers won't know what that means. He also took her keys for a couple of weeks.
                          It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
                          Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

That is totally bogus, he should not have been hiding, and better yet he should have been out taking care of real criminals and not picking on little kids. I am also willing to bet he likes to sit in the driveway of that particular house, as there is some type of radiation interference that causes his radar to read higher than what you were doing, so he set you up. If you got a citation take it to court, let the judge know all about this I am sure he will toss it out, if you did not get a citation then chalk it up to a learning experience.
                            It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

A lot of times this is how we use to take care of things. The officer probably figured you are on your parents insurance and they would have to pay your fine for you. So the officer didn't want to punish your parents by giving you a ticket.

As for the question of "hiding". [B]Quit making excuses for your behavior.[B] You better straigten up and start taking responsibility for yourself.
                              "Lay there and bleed awhile before you feel some real pain."

"Have a cup of coffee, a pall mall, and relax!"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3638 users online. 194 members and 3444 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X