Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilians vs Cops?

Civilians VS Cops.

I suppose my question is why do you refer to us as civilians? Ive attended law enforcement academy, 6 years in infantry with the united states army and served my country honorably.
    Recently I joined a lodge that has a few officers as members that always refer to anyone not an officer as a civilian. This is not the only case I have encountered. As I understand Police officers are public servants and are in place to help and protect the public. I have been noticing lately it seems your cities, counties and states you work for have you out writing more tickets and fines. I have even seen municipals lowering speed limits and changing other small rules and having you push them harder as though to make more revenue for your employer.
    I'm looking forward to some other Officers response to my questions.
    Last edited by west4570; 04-18-2011, 08:30 PM.

Use the search function...............this topic has been discussed ad nauseum
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by west4570 View Post
      I'm am looking forward to some other Officers response to my questions.
      Questions? You ask one question, then whine about police writing tickets.

I'll help you with the actual question, wikipedia somes it up pretty well:

The term "civilian" is also often used colloquially to refer to people who are not members of a particular profession or occupation, especially by law enforcement agencies, which often use rank structures similar to those of military units.

Comment

Don't feed him.

Remember the last guy that messed with us on the speed traps.......................
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Because we are officers and you are a civilian in the terms of officer and civilian. Officers are also civilians. While you are a civilian you are also armed forces/military or what ever you want to classify your service as. Would it be appropriate to classify a non military individual as a member of the armed forces/military? no.

Comment

Me thinks you're seeking confrontational responses but the answer is quite simple. LEO's are sworn employees. The "O" in LEO means "Officer". Anyone else is not. This includes civilian employees of any LE agency. They are referred to as civilians which is what they are. It is not meant in anyway to be derogatory.

Insofar as traffic enforcement is concerned, while there is revenue to be had, the primary purpose is to keep traffic crashes, incidents, and more importantly, injuries & deaths to a minimum. Next time you come across a bloody crash caused by a reckless or speeding driver, think hard about how it may have been prevented had the reckless & speeding driver been stopped and cited five minutes beforehand.
            sigpic
            Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
            And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

On a side note we don't write fines, we write tickets. Fines are assessed by the court. In my opinion to quit this bickering about citations being about money I would be all for mandatory night in jail for violations of the traffic code. The problem with that is jail over population.

Comment

Like said before, it's not derogatory. People that aren't cops, are civilians. You can call anyone that's not in a branch of the military a civilian as well, if you'd like. I'd have no problem with that.
                "I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement."
                -Calvin Coolidge

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unk

Comment

Originally posted by west4570 View Post
                  Civilians VS Cops.

I suppose my question is why do you refer to us as civilians? Ive attended law enforcement academy, 6 years in infantry with the united states army and served my country honorably.
                  Recently I joined a lodge that has a few officers as members that always refer to anyone not an officer as a civilian. This is not the only case I have encountered. As I understand Police officers are public servants and are in place to help and protect the public. I have been noticing lately it seems your cities, counties and states you work for have you out writing more tickets and fines. I have even seen municipals lowering speed limits and changing other small rules and having you push them harder as though to make more revenue for your employer.
                  I'm looking forward to some other Officers response to my questions.

Good for you!

Your question has been answered and bait reviewed and refused

Have the best day ever!
                  "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Beginning to look like the troll cave needs another dose of spray. They're really out lately, and they all have agenda's Let's see if we can keep from feeding this one. Maybe he'll go away.

Comment

I appreciate and thank those of you giving respectful answers and comments, but for those of you who don't (iowa&dingo) you seem to fortify the stereotype given to your profession. I'm not whining about getting tickets (i have never had a single one) nor do i have the knowledge of your rules and profession to debate anything with you. I do agree a night in jail would work just fine other than the cost to house and feed everyone who received a ticket I have fought and been wounded in many battles similar to what you could possibly face one day and I was referred to the forum by my fellow soldier and current Police officer. I will quit posting comments as per the rules and wait for more replies to what some of you think is a dumb question. Thanks again to you who shows some respect those outside of your profession.

Comment

Another satisfied customer.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                          Another satisfied customer.
                          Lol. Lot of them lately.
                          Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

The title of this thread shouldn't be "civilians vs. cops". It should be, "What's the difference between cops and civilians?".

A question which has been asked an answered a million times already. The search button is your friend.

Comment

Civilians do not have the powers granted to Police Officers by State law. That's why we call them civilians. When I was in the military I referred to people as civilians too and I'm sure you do too. Members of the Armed Forces are referred to as Service Members and are thus not civilians. Why? Because members of the military are granted special status by Federal law that everyone else does not have.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4879 users online. 279 members and 4600 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X