Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it mean for an officer to "confirm a warrant"?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does it mean for an officer to "confirm a warrant"?

I have heard this before and was just wondering what takes place to confirm a warrant. Is this generally a policy for the police departments or something officers just do as an extra step? Thanks.

In my neck of the woods the officer does not confirm the warrant. Dispatch does.

If you run a wanted check on a individual and that individual is wanted, then there is what is called a "potential hit". Dispatch needs to communicate with the agency that issued the warrant and confirm that warrant is not only accurate but is still active and can be served by your department in your jurisdiction. While the hit is being confirmed, the individual is detained. Takes anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes to confirm a potential hit.

Comment

Originally posted by mp1161 View Post
      In my neck of the woods the officer does not confirm the warrant. Dispatch does.

If you run a wanted check on a individual and that individual is wanted, then there is what is called a "potential hit". Dispatch needs to communicate with the agency that issued the warrant and confirm that warrant is not only accurate but is still active and can be served by your department in your jurisdiction. While the hit is being confirmed, the individual is detained. Takes anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes to confirm a potential hit.
      Yep............same in my neck of the woods
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

When we run a name and dob, if he has a warrant we will get an alert tone. That is radio letting us know the guy or gal has a warrant. The next step is to ask radio to confirm the warrant which means they will call bookin and have them visually check to make sure the warrant is in the file. If the warrant is good we take bad guy to jail and serve the warrant.
        Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll Slayer
          Im watching you
          Yes, I am also noticing the influx of "new" members...all of a sudden
          hmmmmmmmmmmm
          "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
          The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
          sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
          Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

The State of NC has a statewide system called NC Aware. Anyone with active warrants, orders for arrests or criminal summons are listed in this database. Officers can check from their cars, but our communications automatically checks when we give them a name/dob or driver license number. In addition, everyone is run through NCIC (the national database). If a hit comes through NCIC, the agency must do a hit confirmation with the entering agency to ensure the warrant is 1) active and 2) the entering jurisdiction intends on extraditing the defendant if the warrant is outside NC. If it's a NC warrant, the person will be arrested; if outside NC, it depends on the extradiction set by the entering agency.
            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

If he wasn't a turd then he wouldn't have a warrant in the first place.
              "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
              I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Originally posted by crass cop View Post
                Yes, I am also noticing the influx of "new" members...all of a sudden
                hmmmmmmmmmmm
                Is that bad?
                Retired

Comment

Originally posted by STLCardinals View Post
                  I have heard this before and was just wondering what takes place to confirm a warrant. Is this generally a policy for the police departments or something officers just do as an extra step? Thanks.
                  what agency, specifically, are you referring to for their policy?

Comment

Originally posted by amw315 View Post
                    what agency, specifically, are you referring to for their policy?
                    Just around the St. Louis area. My girlfriend's dad always has a scanner going and we were just wondering about it because we have heard it a lot lately. I figured once the dispatcher found the warrant, that was it, but I guess there may be times when the warrant is left in the system or something similar. I didn't know who the dispatcher might contact to confirm that, especially at night. I didn't think every department (especially the small ones) would have someone able to answer the phone at all hours to confirm the warrant. Does it ever happen where the dispatcher can't get a hold of someone to confirm the warrant and you let the person go, only to find out the warrant was good?

Another reason I asked, it seems the officer always asks to confirm it and I figured if it was policy, the dispatcher would automatically confirm it without the officer even needing to ask.

Comment

NCIC requires the warrant to be validated at any time.
                      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

You've got to ask the agency that wants him to confirm that the warrant is still good. It may not have been taken out of the system and already served.
                        "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
                        I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

How do you apply a stigmatism? Just asking.

Comment

HOld the eye open and just poke it in there.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by STLCardinals View Post
                              Just around the St. Louis area. My girlfriend's dad always has a scanner going and we were just wondering about it because we have heard it a lot lately. I figured once the dispatcher found the warrant, that was it, but I guess there may be times when the warrant is left in the system or something similar. I didn't know who the dispatcher might contact to confirm that, especially at night. I didn't think every department (especially the small ones) would have someone able to answer the phone at all hours to confirm the warrant. Does it ever happen where the dispatcher can't get a hold of someone to confirm the warrant and you let the person go, only to find out the warrant was good?

Another reason I asked, it seems the officer always asks to confirm it and I figured if it was policy, the dispatcher would automatically confirm it without the officer even needing to ask.
                              When a police officer serves a warrant, they need to complete what's called a return of service and fax it back to the originating agency. This will remove the warrant out of the system. Sometimes this isn't done so someone who is wanted, is showing that they are. Dispatch also needs to confirm because if it is an out of state warrant, the original agency needs to come and pick up the wanted person if they want him. If I work in MD, and I stop someone who is wanted in Cali by the LAPD for simple theft, LAPD is not going to want to come all the way to MD to pick him up, therefore I can't serve the warrant.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6026 users online. 299 members and 5727 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X