Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RicRandom
    replied
    Well self sponsoring was the only option I had. No departments near my home have their own academy. I did everything I could to have a job when I graduated. I rode with the local Sheriffs department every night possible unless I had a class in the morning. I was given a reserve spot upon passing my state test and hired full time when the first opening became available.
    I'm not sure how it works in other parts of the country but I am certified for life as long as I keep my hours current, but I would not be a police officer if I lost my job. From reading what others said you might lose your certification if you are not hired in a set amount of time, so that may weigh on your decision to self sponsor.
    Anyway, I basically had no choice but to self sponsor and hope to be hired. I really don't find it much different than graduating with a degree from college and having to find a job in that field.

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    Originally posted by John C. View Post
    So what is the point of self sponsoring yourself? Lol sounds like a big rip off to me, sorry. I'd rather have my Dept put me through the academy.

But, If I pass my oral exam will they tell me if my Dept want's to make me go through with them? Or will they tell me I have to sponsor myself?

Thanks again
    -John C.

And if they tell me I have to sponsor myself, there pretty much saying They just want my money and could careless about you?
    John, you just hit the nail on the head. OK, let's go a little further in our discussion. Many agencies, especially smaller ones which don't run their own academies will really appreciate an applicant who has already been certified. However, there is a major "caveat" here, and one we've touched on. Self sponsorship at an academy is very often a crap shoot. An applicant expends considerable sums of time and money completing an Academy with ZERO prospects of employment. All too many academies are all too willing to take your money, and turn out a glut of graduates who simply won't be hired. O T H, in the case of an agency sponsoring you, it's also possible you'll be on the payroll and receiving full pay and benefits. The conditions of continued employment are successful completion of the Academy and the agencies' FTO program. Obviously, this is the way you want to go if at all possible. Weigh any decision you make in the light of the current economy, and more particularly, the economy where you intend to apply. Don't be afraid to ask questions and do some research. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Been that way since they started probably back in 1995 or so

The academy went real professional back around then----put in a lot of new rules..................

Leave a comment:

• OneAdam12
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    The average academy training contract in Iowa is 3 -4 yrs. They allow the officer to buy it out at a pro-rated fee.

If the officer finds a new job, many times the new department will buy out the contract as it is cheaper than sending an new guy/gal thru the 13 week school

The department really doesn't worry too much about getting paid if the officer decides to leave the job because our academy council has the power (and uses it) to decertify the person should they not honor the contract.
    Has it always been 3-4 years or has it changed over time?

Leave a comment:

• Redders
    replied
    Originally posted by OneAdam12 View Post
    Mine too. Does the department that sponsored have a contract with that officer for a length of time like mine?

T Had a year contract before I could apply at any other department.
    Our contract is 3 years from date of graduation. There is the option of a pro-rate buy out, however in recent years we did have a deputy leave to go into the private sector. The county sued successfully.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    The average academy training contract in Iowa is 3 -4 yrs. They allow the officer to buy it out at a pro-rated fee.

If the officer finds a new job, many times the new department will buy out the contract as it is cheaper than sending an new guy/gal thru the 13 week school

The department really doesn't worry too much about getting paid if the officer decides to leave the job because our academy council has the power (and uses it) to decertify the person should they not honor the contract.

Leave a comment:

• OneAdam12
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    Ok you just don't understand the process.....................

yes, that is why you go to the self sponsor academy-----YOU pay the money & maybe someone will hire you.

Maybe..................the states that have self sponsor are trying to cut costs-------------------

In my state you have to be hired by a department to go to the academy----------and the department pays the bill.
    Mine too. Does the department that sponsored have a contract with that officer for a length of time like mine?

T Had a year contract before I could apply at any other department.

Leave a comment:

• crass cop
    replied
    Ok, If I don't have a valid job offer and gurantee'd nothing, then why go to academy in the first place?

Just to get the certificate pretty much?

Sorry im not coming off rude I just this has been on my mind the whole day today and I think I am over thinking it...

My bad, Thanks for your answers I will talk to recruiter before I take the oral exam most likely and I hope.. lol (If the guy answers his damn phone..)

EDIT: I didn't see Redders post, nvm mine.
    Again...Im slightly skeptical...do you know a MR. Farnsworth?

however....self sponsoring could make you a bit more marketable to an agency., esp in todays crazy economy.
    What dept are you testing with? I can probably get you a better answer...or confirm or deny something else

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by HotSoup View Post
    Iowa my head hurts LOL
    It's been a long day...................

Damn retirement is taxing.

Leave a comment:

• HotSoup
    replied
    Iowa my head hurts LOL

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Good luck

Just make sure you know what you are getting into before you commit.

Leave a comment:

• Redders
    replied
    Do a search on your states law enforcement training standards, or find the state's training center website it should lay out for you some of the answers you need as well.

Leave a comment:

• John C.
    replied
    Im going to log Off, Because I am getting to nervous about this stuff and thinking about the Oral exam, I will post in a couple of weeks and tell you all if I passed or Failed, but I am really to nervous at the moment and I need to log off and go relax...

Thanks for your answers, god bless see you guys in a couple of weeks HOORAH.

-John

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Ok, If I don't have a valid job offer and gurantee'd nothing, then why go to academy in the first place?

Sorry im not coming off rude I just this has been on my mind the whole day today and I think I am over thinking it...

My bad, Thanks for your answers I will talk to recruiter before I take the oral exam most likely and I hope.. lol (If the guy answers his damn phone..)

Ok you just don't understand the process.....................

yes, that is why you go to the self sponsor academy-----YOU pay the money & maybe someone will hire you.

Maybe..................the states that have self sponsor are trying to cut costs-------------------

In my state you have to be hired by a department to go to the academy----------and the department pays the bill.

Leave a comment:

• John C.
    replied

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4786 users online. 298 members and 4488 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X