300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy Questions

Let's just say, If I get to academy, what % of chance will I get a job when I graduate it?

Also, what if I don't get hired after I graduate? If I go apply to another department, do I have to go to there academy to? Or is there like a waiver saying I already been through academy threw my first Department.

Sorry, kinda of confusing for me at the moment, but my recruiter wont answer his phone. so I will post here. And Im anxious..

Pretty much in other words,

Do I have to go thru each academy for each department I apply to?

Originally posted by John C. View Post
    Let's just say, If I get to academy, what % of chance will I get a job when I graduate it?
    Depends, are you self sponsoring or is a dept hiring you and sending you through?

Also, what if I don't get hired after I graduate? If I go apply to another department, do I have to go to there academy to? Or is there like a waiver saying I already been through academy threw my first Department.
    Again depends on if the agency you apply for run's their own academy or recognizes other certifications. In my state there are 4 academies. 3 agencies that run their own and then the states. If you apply and are hired by the "Big 3" then yes you have to attend theirs.

Do I have to go thru each academy for each department I apply to?
    Depends on your state, as I previously stated, the Big 3 in my state you have to attend their basic even if you are currently certified. If you apply to another of the other hundred some odd agencies then no, those agencies recognize state certification.
    Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
    I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
    Originally posted by weinerdog2000
    as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

Well, I just passed my PT, and need to take a oral exam too.

But, I am really a humble guy and I don't speak alot to higher Power, unless I am spoken to. (Also my friends said that is a good idea when your in academy too). That is probably why I am having these questions, sorry about that.

So, I need to check if my Department gives out state certification for there academy, I guess. and the Difference between Self Sponsoring and "Dept putting you through" is that self sponsoring you get a Chance to make it, as in the "Dept Putting you through" You will automatically have a job with them right after graduation?

I obliviously want my Dept to put me through then.. Man I need to talk to my recruiter, why would anyone want to self sponsor themselves? When you know you might not make it?

Comment

If the department puts you through ---they hire you then send you through the academy
        '
        Self sponsoring is when you put yourself through and hope to get a job someplace before your (temporary) certification lapses.

Most self sponsor academies care about getting the tuition paid for the classes. They have influence on getting you hired by a department...............all they want is the money

These schools crank out "certified" or "certifiable" people with no idea if there are enough jobs out there to handle the glut of "trained" people
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

So what is the point of self sponsoring yourself? Lol sounds like a big rip off to me, sorry. I'd rather have my Dept put me through the academy.

But, If I pass my oral exam will they tell me if my Dept want's to make me go through with them? Or will they tell me I have to sponsor myself?

Thanks again
          -John C.

And if they tell me I have to sponsor myself, there pretty much saying They just want my money and could careless about you?

Comment

You should know the answer to that

Is there a department that has given you a job offer?
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

So, I need to check if my Department gives out state certification for there academy, I guess. and the Difference between Self Sponsoring and "Dept putting you through" is that self sponsoring you get a Chance to make it, as in the "Dept Putting you through" You will automatically have a job with them right after graduation?

I obliviously want my Dept to put me through then.. Man I need to talk to my recruiter, why would anyone want to self sponsor themselves? When you know you might not make it?
              As Iowa said in Self Sponsor you pay, if you are hired by a dept and then certified they pay, sorta, but that's a different ball of worms and I don't want to fry your brain. The dept you are currently applying with, if they conduct their own academy will be in compliance with state certification standards. If you jumped state borders then other states may or may not recognize that states certification and yes you may have to go to another academy.

Bottom line? Relax, get hired, do what you need to do to be certified, put your time in, learn to be a good cop then think about whether or not you want to make a jump to some place else. Worry about stuff when you need to. You will learn many of these answers to these questions as you progress through your career. I did.

I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
              as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

Well, I just passed my PT, and need to take a oral exam too.

But, I am really a humble guy and I don't speak alot to higher Power, unless I am spoken to. (Also my friends said that is a good idea when your in academy too). That is probably why I am having these questions, sorry about that.

There - a place......Are we there yet?
                Their - shows posession - Their cruiser is a POS
                They're - combo of "they are" - They're under arrest!

Sorry, a pet peeve of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                  You should know the answer to that

Is there a department that has given you a job offer?

Nope, My Oral exam is next week and im more nervous then ever...

Ok, so even if I pay and go to the academy I am still guranteed a job right out of graduation? That makes sense now, Ty Redders.

-John C.

I hope they will pay for me though, to be honest I guess it just depends how good I do in the oral exam? (If they like me alot?)

Comment

If you have a valid job offer from a department then you are guaranteed a job if you pass the academy

If you do NOT have a valid job offer, you are responsible for all costs, and you are guaranteed NOTHING

You need to understand the difference between a self sponsored acadmey and a departmental academy.

SOME departments will also offer spaces in there departmental academy class to self sponsoring.

Once again if the department has given you a job offer, they will most likely pay for the acadmey.

Comment

I am still guranteed a job right out of graduation?
                      No, in my state, if you self sponsored yourself through an academy, and you graduate the training center you have two years from the date of graduation to be hired by an agency. Which means until you are hired and recognized by the state as a peace officer you are only "certifiable" not "certified".

Comment

Ok, If I don't have a valid job offer and gurantee'd nothing, then why go to academy in the first place?

Just to get the certificate pretty much?

Sorry im not coming off rude I just this has been on my mind the whole day today and I think I am over thinking it...

My bad, Thanks for your answers I will talk to recruiter before I take the oral exam most likely and I hope.. lol (If the guy answers his damn phone..)

EDIT: I didn't see Redders post, nvm mine.

Comment

Ok, If I don't have a valid job offer and gurantee'd nothing, then why go to academy in the first place?

Just to get the certificate pretty much?

Sorry im not coming off rude I just this has been on my mind the whole day today and I think I am over thinking it...

My bad, Thanks for your answers I will talk to recruiter before I take the oral exam most likely and I hope.. lol (If the guy answers his damn phone..)

EDIT: I didn't see Redders post, nvm mine.
                          Ok you just don't understand the process.....................

yes, that is why you go to the self sponsor academy-----YOU pay the money & maybe someone will hire you.

Maybe..................the states that have self sponsor are trying to cut costs-------------------

In my state you have to be hired by a department to go to the academy----------and the department pays the bill.

Comment

Im going to log Off, Because I am getting to nervous about this stuff and thinking about the Oral exam, I will post in a couple of weeks and tell you all if I passed or Failed, but I am really to nervous at the moment and I need to log off and go relax...

Thanks for your answers, god bless see you guys in a couple of weeks HOORAH.

-John

Comment

Do a search on your states law enforcement training standards, or find the state's training center website it should lay out for you some of the answers you need as well.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4314 users online. 238 members and 4076 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X