300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Reserve with some questions.

Im 42 years old and I have taken the written and agility portion of the test to be a reserve. I believe we will proceed to in house acadamy for 80 hours along with weapon training off site. I enjoy the forum and the questions and answers I have read. I would love to be a full time officer but I dont think I ever will. I have a career and my age limits me somewhat.

I have lived in my town for 12 years. My wife is a local gal. The town is small. I know of a lot of things others do in their free time. What is your take on this? I know of guys that freely smoke weed or do other drugs. I have worked with a few guys that I know enough to know when they are high. It kind of made me think the other day when they were telling party stories and said they better shut up becuase Im going to be a cop.

I know I'm not going to be a cop. I'm going to be a reserve and that isnt the same. I will at some point have arrest power and carry a duty weapon. To my knowledge I will be more of a backup and help out the full time officers.

So I basically I have the goods on a few guys and girls around town, but I bet the Police dept would already know who the users are anyway. Do I need to mention anything about this to my fellow officers?

My take is this. I just tell them to stay out of trouble. Dont break the law and they have nothing to worry about. Im not planning on running to the Chief with a list of possible law breakers. Do you think I would be expected too?
    Last edited by jeffwo; 04-15-2011, 02:18 PM. Reason: my grammer sucks

Being a cop in your home town is a lot of fun.............(note sarcasm)

Unless someone throws it in your face.......or you know about a serious felony..........ignore what happens off duty.

That applies to what happened off duty 8 yrs ago and you are aware of it.. (like smoking weed).

Your circle of friends might change drastically after you become a reserve. ................it happens all the time.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
      Being a cop in your home town is a lot of fun.............(note sarcasm)

Unless someone throws it in your face.......or you know about a serious felony..........ignore what happens off duty.

That applies to what happened off duty 8 yrs ago and you are aware of it.. (like smoking weed).

Your circle of friends might change drastically after you become a reserve. ................it happens all the time.
      +1

I work in the town I grew up in. It will definitely change people's attitude toward you. Keep in mind you aren't getting into Law Enforcement for the adulation aspect. If you are then you are in for a rude awakening. A lot of your friends will probably stop talking to you. I'm not telling you this to deter you but simply to prepare you. Best of luck.

Also, I'm not sure how things are in Kansas but here a cop is a cop, reserve or not. Same powers, same job. The only difference here is the pay.

Comment

Big W

I believe that I will (after the acadamy) have full arrest power. Only when Im on duty. Off duty I will not have any authority. Im not sure I will have the same gun carring rights as well. That is some of the difference. Yes and no pay just expierience.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffwo View Post
          Big W

I believe that I will (after the acadamy) have full arrest power. Only when Im on duty. Off duty I will not have any authority. Im not sure I will have the same gun carring rights as well. That is some of the difference. Yes and no pay just expierience.
          It's a trade off though. If you're up for it being the po-leece is the best job out there.
          Just don't expect your friends to understand. Also, if you're married be sure your wife is cool with it. There is a small to extremely large chance that you'll find yourself at the PD more and more often.

I had a great job that paid well, started as a reserve, the next thing I knew i was leaving my comfy little job to go to the academy and start bein the "darn po-leece" full-time.

I went into the reserves with every intention of only being a reserve but be warned it gets in your blood.

On the other hand having your former friends shun you, and seeing dead bodies isn't for everyone. From what I've seen the first death call (either accident, or whatever) tends to either reinforce it's what you want to do or break you from sucking eggs.

I'm sure others have opinions on this. This is just my 2 cents.

*Edit*

Don't automatically think age can stop you. I've seen guys over 50 go to academy.

Comment

Yea most places don't have age guidelines------------------and it won't matter to anyone that you are a "reserve" You will STILL be the po-po and treated like one.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

In the eyes of the people you either work or socialize with, you'll be the Police. While you really can't avoid the people you mentioned in the work place, you can and should be very careful of any social contacts. (Parties, etc). In many ways, this situation will take care of itself. People whom you've known for years, will avoid you like the plague. Not all of them to be certain, but those who still continue to do drugs. You will find out who your friends really are.

Comment

Try your damnest to avoid ****ing off the town folk. I work in a small town and it very political because the mayor is also the chief of the FD. Everyone in town has his number. Expect to be under the microscope and on stage every time you get into that car.
                "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
                I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5223 users online. 256 members and 4967 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X