300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about being a cop

in my city i need 30 college credit hours ? when you went to apply did you need college credit hours ?

how stressful is it being a cop ? my best friend just became a cop an he was starting to look really stressed out like all the other cops an he finally told me that being a cop has made his life stressful
    so to you is is stressful?
    Last edited by jvaca254; 04-14-2011, 06:32 PM. Reason: correct spelling error

Hopefully, I'm not doing someone's homework for him. At the time I entered Law Enforcement (over forty years ago) a High School Diplloma/GED pretty well fulfilled the educational requirement. Currently, many agencies require either a four year degree, or a number of college semester hours. The semester hour requirement varies, but is often in the 30-60 hour range. Agencies which do not require a four year degree will often offer more starting pay to an entry level officer who has one. Stress? It comes with the territory. If you can't handle stress, sometimes at considerable levels, this is not the job for you.

Comment

When I started in Law Enforcement, my AA degree was the exception. 99.9999% of applicants had GED or HS diplomas.

The profession is stressful

So are many other professions.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

The only stressful part is answering questions in Ask A Cop.

Comment

It depends on the agency if they require their recruits to have college experience. They don't have to, per State law. In Iowa, you need to be 18 and at least be a high school graduate or equivalent to a diploma. That being said, it's pretty competitive right now, and schooling certainly doesn't hurt.

You're job generally includes body armor and a gun, what do you think? We get to make split second decisions that take a judge and jurors weeks to decide if it was the right one. Oh, minus the fact that you're employed by a government body, which to some people means you (agency) have deep pockets. Which, will naturally make people want to sue for any possible thing. Not to mention that it can get kind of nasty with officers throwing other officers under the bus to make themselves look better. Administrators generally forget where they come from and tell people (general public) what they want to hear, instead of what they need to hear. Basically like politicians. So stressful that our life expectancy is less and our divorce rate is at the top of the national average. I could go on... Yes, it's stressful.

That being said, I don't do it for the pay because it's certainly not worth the pay. I do it because society needs protectors and I don't see a ton of other people jumping up and down to do it. I want to be involved with situations that I know I could help in, when others would most likely run away from. People think this is a selfish job... It's the exact opposite. But, it is worth it.
          Last edited by LPD003; 04-14-2011, 06:56 PM.
          "I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement."
          -Calvin Coolidge

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unk

Comment

much stress....
            trying not to get killed, in trouble, in a wreck, beat up, etc
            trying to not become an alcoholic or divorced
            trying not to personalize some calls or situations
            having a camera on you or someone watching you and HOPING to catch you screw up...ALL THE TIME
            theres pages more...but

i phukking LOVE IT

stay in school and learn to build computers or practice medicine
            "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
            The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
            sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
            Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

one day at a time, man.
              <--- "The man"

Comment

Originally posted by jvaca254 View Post
                in my city i need 30 college credit hours ?
                Is that really a question?
                when you went to apply did you need college credit hours ?
                No, but every department has different standards/hiring requirements. Some do require college credits (or even a full degree).

how stressful is it being a cop ? my best friend just became a cop an he was starting to look really stressed out like all the other cops an he finally told me that being a cop has made his life stressful
                Didn't you just answer your own question (see portion in bold)?

so to you is is stressful?
                Yes, but rewarding too. I'd rather deal with the stresses of being a cop (and they can be extreme sometimes) than sit at a cubicle working for a company where my sole job is to make some rich man richer.
                sigpic

Comment

Stress=banging mulitple chicks in the same beat and keeping them away from each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
                    The only stressful part is answering questions in Ask A Cop.
                    Especially to these type threads...
                    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

I was only stressed out my first year....after that I had more confidence in myself to do the job and I didn't have a Sgt hanging over my shoulder watching everything I did

Comment

I don't consider myself to be under much stress at all.

We do what we want and we're moderately busy. I spent most of my time looking for DWIs. It's not a very stressful career in my opinion. And I work for a suburb of Houston with 100,000+ population. But I'm a multitasking SOB.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                          When I started in Law Enforcement, my AA degree was the exception. 99.9999% of applicants had GED or HS diplomas.

The profession is stressful

So are many other professions.
                          Former leo & exactly the same where I was at that time
                          Last edited by besafe2; 04-16-2011, 01:55 PM. Reason: Had my remarks in wrong place.
                          Train as if your life depends on it.
                          Someday it might..........Paul

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5322 users online. 285 members and 5037 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X