Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Software engineer going to police academy, interesting situation

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Software engineer going to police academy, interesting situation

    Hi.

    I am a full time software engineer with a secret clearance wanting to start going to police academy part time.

    Several colleges around my town offers Tuesday-Thursday 5:30-10:30 and Sat 6-5 classes.

    My question is has anyone done this or anyone knows anyone that has done this? My ex-gf's dad has accomplished this years ago and said it was pretty harsh.

    I understand that this will take a toll on my social life but being on the force and helping the community is always something I wanted to do.

    Although I have a secret clearance, I was convicted a wet reckless driving and had one speeding ticket, will this fail my entrance to the police academy?(3 years ago)


    Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.

  • #2
    Originally posted by zaqweewqaz View Post
    Hi.

    I am a full time software engineer with a secret clearance wanting to start going to police academy part time.

    Several colleges around my town offers Tuesday-Thursday 5:30-10:30 and Sat 6-5 classes.

    My question is has anyone done this or anyone knows anyone that has done this? My ex-gf's dad has accomplished this years ago and said it was pretty harsh.

    I understand that this will take a toll on my social life but being on the force and helping the community is always something I wanted to do.

    Although I have a secret clearance, I was convicted a wet reckless driving and had one speeding ticket, will this fail my entrance to the police academy?(3 years ago)


    Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.
    Any conviction on your record is definitely not going to help, I can assure you that. Reckless driving at that; it's looked at as being irresponsible and they will hold your feet to the fire on that.

    But in the academy, you've got many different people from all walks of life. Software engineers, teachers, artists, actors, ex-college ball players, ex-wrestlers, ex-wifes and ex-husbands too. Everybody is in there trying to become the police.

    I don't know about the academy and process your going through for whatever area you're applying, but mines was a very strict, tough, military like atmosphere. If your pen rolled off of your desk and hit the ground while an instructor was teaching, he'd yell.

    "Follow it."

    And pushing the earth is where'd you go!
    <--- "The man"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by zaqweewqaz View Post
      Hi.

      I am a full time software engineer with a secret clearance wanting to start going to police academy part time.

      Several colleges around my town offers Tuesday-Thursday 5:30-10:30 and Sat 6-5 classes.

      My question is has anyone done this or anyone knows anyone that has done this? My ex-gf's dad has accomplished this years ago and said it was pretty harsh.

      I understand that this will take a toll on my social life but being on the force and helping the community is always something I wanted to do.

      Although I have a secret clearance, I was convicted a wet reckless driving and had one speeding ticket, will this fail my entrance to the police academy?(3 years ago)


      Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.
      "Wet reckless" really an acronym for DUI three years ago could be a problem. I'm assuming that you intend to attend a "self-sponsor" academy. If that's the case, you could end up spending considerable time and money, and have absolutely no guarantee of employment at the end of the effort. Prior to enrolling in any Academy, I'd do some checking to see what effect the arrest might have on your prospects for employment. That inquiry should be made of any agency to which you intend to reply. Attendance at any academy will require considerable dedication and commitment on your part. It will be made somewhat more challenging by virtue of your current employment. Once more, before enrolling, before parting with any money, be as certain as you can that you have a realistic shot at being hired. Keep in mind that the current LE hiring market has a glut of highly qualified applicants, many of whom are laid off Officers (economy)and others who don't bring any arrests to the table.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
        "Wet reckless" really an acronym for DUI three years ago could be a problem. I'm assuming that you intend to attend a "self-sponsor" academy. If that's the case, you could end up spending considerable time and money, and have absolutely no guarantee of employment at the end of the effort. Prior to enrolling in any Academy, I'd do some checking to see what effect the arrest might have on your prospects for employment. That inquiry should be made of any agency to which you intend to reply. Attendance at any academy will require considerable dedication and commitment on your part. It will be made somewhat more challenging by virtue of your current employment. Once more, before enrolling, before parting with any money, be as certain as you can that you have a realistic shot at being hired. Keep in mind that the current LE hiring market has a glut of highly qualified applicants, many of whom are laid off Officers (economy)and others who don't bring any arrests to the table.
        Thank you for your advice. I guess I shouldve clarified myself. I do not intend to get hired as a full-time police. I was looking into joining unpaid reserve. Maybe patrol once a week or so. I just wanted to do something meaningful.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by zaqweewqaz View Post
          Thank you for your advice. I guess I shouldve clarified myself. I do not intend to get hired as a full-time police. I was looking into joining unpaid reserve. Maybe patrol once a week or so. I just wanted to do something meaningful.
          You'll discover that the standards for appointment as a Reserve Officer are often the very same as for a Regular Officer. I believe this is especially true in California. Before spending any money on an Academy, I suggest you contact any LE agency which might interest you, and determine whether the arrest/conviction you mentioned will prevent your appointment as a Reserve Officer. It's possible it will for a number of years.

          Comment


          • #6
            Also, understand that a secret clearance doesn't go very far for a local city police department. Your DUI arrest and Wet Reckless conviction will be a very large hurdle.
            semper destravit

            Comment


            • #7
              As a follow up to what RGDS said, your Secret clearance is meaningless. Each agency that you test for is required to do its own independent background. They will all chat, exchange notes and look at each other's packages to see if they can catch any discrepancies in what you told them, but each agency has their own investigative and DQ standards, and none is allowed to base their background on another agency's investigation.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

              Comment

              MR300x250 Tablet

              Collapse

              What's Going On

              Collapse

              There are currently 6014 users online. 302 members and 5712 guests.

              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

              Welcome Ad

              Collapse
              Working...
              X