300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 911 call?

I feel like I should know the answer to this question considering I'll be starting an academy soon, but I feel compelled to ask. After picking up my daughter from school a Chevy Suburban rolls up next to me at a stop light. As soon as the single driver comes to a stop he finishes taking a drink of his beer. I know it was beer, because I recognized the labeling on the bottle. I followed him for several miles and contemplated making a 911 call but I did know if this situation warranted a "911" call. I didn't notice any moving violations other that the obvious open container. Should I have called 911? If so, is it truely an emergency (granted it could be)? If not, who should have been contacted and how?
    "... Somewhere Between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace..."

A 911 call would have been appropriate.

That said, you are under no obligation to make the call, so I wouldn't beat yourself up over it.

Could it have potentially saved a life? Yeah, but every person makes millions of decisions every day and you can "what if" anything to death.

This is far from the worst decisions we've seen.

-V

Comment

You can also check to see if the County/City you're in has a non-emergency number for you to call if you feel uncomfortable dialing 911
      Reputation & Truth

Comment

Originally posted by copdude View Post
        You can also check to see if the County/City you're in has a non-emergency number for you to call if you feel uncomfortable dialing 911
        ^^^^^^ This.
        In my jurisdiction this would be the appropriate action if the driver does not appear impaired. However, if you do not have this number available to you then by all means call 911.

Comment

Thanks for the response everyone. I will look in to a non-emergency number for my local PD/SO. I just felt it necessary to do something, I was just unsure about the appropriate action. Thanks again. Stay safe.
          "... Somewhere Between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace..."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6293 users online. 343 members and 5950 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X