300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Job Would Be More Prevalent?

Greetings all, I come to you for advice on something. Currently I work as a "security guard" at John Deere and I will be putting in my two weeks soon to attend an internship in D.C. this summer. I put quotes around "security guard" because it's a joke, as many of you would have guessed. I sit at a computer, watch people come in/out, issue them badges, take in absentee calls and walk around once a night for 45 minutes. I can obviously fancy a little bit of the job up to be relevant to LEO on a resume but really not much of it.

When I come back from my internship I will be starting my third year of college and will be at a new 4-year university - I'll have to find another job again. They have student jobs available with the campus police force that has about 15 sworn officers. They offier positions including Student Patrol, Dispatcher and a position that gives parking tickets I believe. The ticket position and dispatcher are pretty obvious, and here's a description of student patrol - i've bolded some of the more important descriptive parts.

The Student Patrol program began in 1990 and currently consists of fifteen student patrol members who serve the students, faculty, staff, and visitors to the UNI campus. UNI students involved in the program represent a variety of majors, including freshman through senior classifications.

Student Patrol is one of the most recognizable elements of the Department of Public Safety at UNI. They can be easily identified by their silver jackets and navy polo shirts. While a majority of assignments are walking patrol beats, the Student Patrol regularly uses golf carts and vans for certain tasks.

Student Patrol members assist the UNI Police officers in doing all nature of tasks that free officers for their law enforcement mission. Student Patrol members play a vital role in providing safety awareness on campus through a variety of programs designed to educate the University community about safety issues and concerns. Student Patrol members are also committed to maintaining a safe learning environment for all UNI students, while safeguarding the rights of the individual.

Student Patrol operations enhance the safety of UNI and also give Student Patrol member and excellent opportunity to gain leadership experience and to impact safety issues while acting as liaisons between Public Safety and the UNI community. The nature of situations encountered by patrol members necessitate developing critical thinking and conflict management skills, both of which provide experiential learning. They also handle many administrative tasks, such as scheduling, training and managing deployment in-house, with significant opportunities and responsibilities for members.

The patrol members are provided with great experience for a future in law enforcement or other public service. Student Patrol members serve in countless federal, state and local governmental and criminal justice agencies throughout the nations.

UNI students who are in good standing with the university and are enrolled for at least six hours of credit are encouraged to apply for a Student Patrol position. Successful applicants must pass an interview process and a criminal background check. Student Patrol postions are funded through departmental funding, but students qualifying for work study are also encouraged to apply.

My question to you gentlemen and ladies is pretty blunt. If you were the person sifting through mountains of resumes, which job would you prefer the applicant have? And if you were an interviewer, which job would you like to see? I would have 2.5 years of experience as a security guard, or 1.5 years as a student patrol, dispatch, etc. if I applied right after I graduated. I think the student patrol position, from the description, sounds like it would give good experience for LEO, especially just being able to work around the department and officers. But then again, job descriptions aren't everything. I should make it clear I would be applying for federal special agent positions and also city LEO patrol officer positions - not dispatcher, etc.

Sorry for the small book of a post. Thank you for your time and for all you do.
    Last edited by jjbledsoe; 04-10-2011, 12:59 AM.
    Pursuing the dream.

Awaiting the start of Academy... April 28th.

I think if you can explain to your future employment that you've taken the job, because the job description resembled law enforcement all together more-so at UNI than your security job, you'd be fine. I wouldn't say in your interview or questioning that your current job is a joke as a security guard. It may very well be a joke, but it shows that you may think you're already over-qualified for a security job and could show some arrogance. Try to stay positive about your current or previous employments when interviewing, etc. I'd simply say that you took the new job to better yourself, because it more closely resembled law enforcement, which is your ultimate goal.

Good luck.
    "I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement."
    -Calvin Coolidge

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unk

Comment

Oh most definitely agree and thank you for your input. I would never down-talk any job in an interview, I always make the best of what I have. I'm actually leaving this one for the internship - they won't keep me hired for 3 months without me working, and I wasn't sure if I should try to get back on afterwards or apply for the UNI ones. Great words and thanks again for your post!
      Pursuing the dream.

Comment

I'm super tired and didn't read your post well. Sorry... Keep plugging away and apply everywhere you can when the opportunities present themselves.
        "I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement."
        -Calvin Coolidge

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unk

Comment

Just my opinion but, as someone who has hired folks for City/County/Federal agencies.... To me, a job is a job is a job......

Folks try to do things or get jobs that resemble police jobs and it isn't necessary in my book....and some end up getting jammed up because they took some "cool" sounding job and it either wasn't or they got carried away and started doing silly stuff (not saying you would do that) like carrying a scanner all the time and hitting calls, going out and getting a CCW and carrying 24/7 just because, sticking emergency lights and/or off-colored lights in their vehicles, etc....) and that ends up getting them jammed up in the end for being silly and trying to be what they wannabe.....and they aren't just yet.......

My advice....? Have a good job history, keep your credit squared away, be in good shape, stay out of trouble, stay away from drugs, don't hang out with ****heads, and you will be fine when you apply......

I know plenty of folks what worked at Wally-World, Target, Grocery Stores, bars/restaurants, video stores, etc.....while going to college and they were hired as LEOs/FLEOs........

Comment

P.S. Make sure you leave your current job on a good note if you can. If it means you have to work there again when you get back while the UNI job gets processed, so be it. But, not much will reflect more poorly than a dissatisfied former employer.

Again, I'm tired and I may be way off the rocker. Hope I answered your question. G'night.
            -Calvin Coolidge

Comment

Bear - Thanks for the honest response sir. Sounds like I am getting a bit too caught up on the 'relevant jobs' category. Just having a job is the most important thing for sure. The UNI job seems like a great opportunity because i'll be around LEO and also they will work with my schedule, something a lot of places don't do with college kids. That's crazy that people actually would do stuff like that! Carry guns to be cool, put lights on their vehicles, all from that job - wow! Thanks much for your info and I will take heed to your advice sir!

LPD - Good advice also, thanks for that. I planned on leaving on a good note. I really want Easter off to spend with my family and it's only 1 weekend before i'll be done. I've been tempted to call in that day but I will not do it, however i'm definitely going to see if someone can switch days and wants to work that day instead.
              Pursuing the dream.

Comment

Originally posted by jjbledsoe View Post
                Bear - Thanks for the honest response sir. Sounds like I am getting a bit too caught up on the 'relevant jobs' category. Just having a job is the most important thing for sure. The UNI job seems like a great opportunity because i'll be around LEO and also they will work with my schedule, something a lot of places don't do with college kids. That's crazy that people actually would do stuff like that! Carry guns to be cool, put lights on their vehicles, all from that job - wow! Thanks much for your info and I will take heed to your advice sir!
                Once again, not saying you would do anything like that..... but it does happen.....a lot more than folks might think. The ones that do it get wrapped up with things and start wanting to live the life even more.....and end up getting burnt by it.....

I would tell you to take the job that works best with your schedule.....whether it's at JD or UNI..... You just need to show real good work habits and have them give you a good reference...

And as LPD said....don't burn bridges at either place.....or any job for that matter......
                Last edited by Bearcat357; 04-10-2011, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Great words again - such knowledgable folks around here. I'm always stuck around people my age and it's tough to get serious answers sometimes. I will have to admit that UNI is definitely going to give me the upper hand in flexible hours, and school comes first - the only way I was able to remain hired with JD (it's a contract company that does the security) after the new semester schedule is I had to work weekends-only because I had no class then. They give 1 out of 10 flexibility, 10 being the highest, heh. Don't plan on burning any bridges in the future and I haven't in the past, so let's hope it stays that way!
                  Pursuing the dream.

Comment

The campus job is a pretty good fit for someone who wants to get into Law Enforcement. I know one of the sister universities here in our state likes to hire former Campus Patrol people as full time Campus Police after they graduate. You might even get a break on tuition. If not think of it as the school paying for part of your education by paying you a salary.

As far as the JD job. You were doing the job they were paying you for. As long as you did what you were instructed, and provided the service as required, it was an honorable job.

(I know a couple JD security officers from the Quad Cities)
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

That's awesome, I didn't know colleges around here liked to hire from campus patrol after they graduated. Definitely some good motivation to want to get on with it even more. Thanks for the words, man.
                      Pursuing the dream.

Comment

If I had to pick the "better" job, it would be the two Campus Police positions you mentioned. The point was made though, and I agree, that's what's important is the work record you compile at ANY job. I "capped" that for a reason. Agencies get applicants from all walks of life, and from pretty diverse backgrounds. That includes prior work histories. What we're looking for is work records which demonstrate reliability, and solid job performance. Good luck in your future plans.

Comment

Thank you for your input Philip - sounds like everyone has the same advice and that definitely helps!
                          Pursuing the dream.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6604 users online. 356 members and 6248 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X