300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The revolving door

My sister is constanly being picked up by the police and taken to the hospital. She is diagnosed bipolar. At the hospital she occupies a bed and the officers time, as well as the nursing staff. In the morning she is discharged with no consequence to her so she's not learning her lesson. I think you call this the 'revolving door', where mental health patients are quickly discharged after being brought to the hospital by cops. Why does this happen? What are the laws around this and why is there no consequence? She never has to appear in court, pay a fine and is never taken to jail. Why does she get away with stuff just because she's mentally ill? What does the law say?

Originally posted by sad sati View Post
    My sister is constanly being picked up by the police and taken to the hospital. She is diagnosed bipolar. At the hospital she occupies a bed and the officers time, as well as the nursing staff. In the morning she is discharged with no consequence to her so she's not learning her lesson. I think you call this the 'revolving door', where mental health patients are quickly discharged after being brought to the hospital by cops. Why does this happen? What are the laws around this and why is there no consequence? She never has to appear in court, pay a fine and is never taken to jail. Why does she get away with stuff just because she's mentally ill? What does the law say?
    In the States it is referred to as an M1 hold. The M1 is supposed to last 72 hours but rarely goes past 24 hours due to limited resources. Usually they are a safety threat to themselves or others. As long as they don't hurt or physically threaten harm to others then we can't charge them with a crime. Maybe a Canadian officer can chime in.

Comment

Ok. One time she was drunk and was causing a disturbance in the bar so they called the cops. An ambulance was also called and she was taken to the hospital. This was after she was handcuffed and searched. She spit in a police officers face while the cuffs were being put on. Isn't that assault? Why wasn't she charged? Also, she dated a guy who ended up putting three police officers in the hospital. He was never charged with anything because he was trying to get to the hospital himself. He's also bipolar. Do they not get chharged because of the law or are the officers showing mercy?
      According to the Canadian Mental Health Act the mentally ill can get away with misdemeanors. But assault on a police officer?.....isn't that a criminal offence?

Comment

It's very difficult for us on this side of the Border to assist you with your problem. It has to be dealt with from the perspective of Canadian Law. As to why your Sister and the guy she dated were not charged criminally, I really can't give you a valid answer except to say they would definitely have been charged in Alabama. However, that fact is helping neither you nor your Sister. For your answer, you're going to have to find the solution in Canadian Law, at either Provincial or Federal levels. It would seem to me that living in Windsor Ontario, there should be mental health associations or organizations which could be of some assistance to you. I would suggest your research began there. We are fortunate in having at least one Canadian Officer (RCMP) on the forum, and hopefully he could assist you further. Best of luck in your efforts.

Comment

Canada is doubtlessly different, but here you can be charged even if you are mentally ill. You get more leeway, but you do not get a free pass. The only time I can recall that I was injured by a mentally ill person and the charges were dropped was one where it was shown the doctor gave the guy the wrong medicine accidentally and the guy didn't know it. He was well controlled with regular meds, but flipped out on the wrong meds. He still had to do a diversion program and do something like a probation or the original charges would come back, but he avoided charges.

The mental health care system sucks. Indiana calls it "immediate detention" when you are forced to the hospital for mental health reasons and being a threat to yourself/others. I've seen the same guy ID'd twice in a shift, and he was fighting demons with a brass jeweler's hammer. There is no way anyone with a shred of common sense would think he was now well enough to be back out unsupervised, but apparently they needed that bed again.
          I miss you, Dave.
          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Just a short drive away from me --------------we lost a sheriff's deputy this week----------------------to a person who had a long time battle with bipolar disease.
            http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...-Deputy-Killed

We buried him yesterday.

Long story shortened ----last month he was placed in a hospital after an episode. The judge refused to keep him in longer than a few days. The same officers that took him into custody that day were the ones who went to the residence on Monday.

This incident happened in June of 2009 and made national news..................................
            http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_220184.html

The shooter in that incident is now in prison for life.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

My guess is - 1223
              Last edited by ryker; 03-29-2012, 08:40 AM.
              Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

The family usually wants the state to take care of it, at least here that is how it goes. The family won't bother getting off their butt and making sure the person gets the help they need, they just call the police and lay it on us.
                Be courteous, Be professional, Have a plan to kill everyone you meet

Comment

Originally posted by ryker View Post
                  My guess is - liberal judges, liberal prosecutors lack the willpower to enforce laws and keep safe order.
                  sigpic
                  Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                  And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

If someone is mentally ill/suicidal the ambulance takes them to the er for treatment. Of course the hospital usually releases them in a few hours and the ambulance is right back over there or round two.

I think after so many trips they get checked into some type of mental health camp for awhile called 'group homes'. And if you think that would be the end of it. We constantly get called to these group homes where they act out, runaway, and god knows what else.
                    Last edited by DeputySC; 04-13-2011, 10:52 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5902 users online. 325 members and 5577 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X