300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master's Degree an Advantage?

Hi, I just had a general education question. In case there are some hiring personnel on the forum that could answer, I figured I'd ask. There was a forum made about 8 years ago about a similar topic, but it wasn't really about a master's being an extra qualification for being hired or promoted.

My question is basically just if having a Master's degree will help me get hired on to a department, and if I can get on, if it will help me advance up in that department. I have a Bachelor's degree in chemistry, and will have my Master's in chemistry in May. Even though it isn't a criminal justice degree, I hope that it helps.

I have been testing at departments, and did very well on the written test for the department I really would like to work for, plus I have an uncle who is a deputy of 23 years on the department which I hear is a plus.

Thanks for any input anyone has to offer in advance. I respect you all; you do a great job out there on the streets.
    Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

Yes it will help.

In LE, common sense is more important than a degree. However, in this day and age a degree is required for most agencies. Having a degree will NEVER hurt you, but doesn't mean that you're a guarantee either. It will probably help with a promotion at some point in your career.

A Criminal Justice degree is equal to a Chemistry degree when you're talking about the application process to get into a department. Assuming you're going into patrol and not forensics or something... as long as you have a degree no one will care what it's in.

Comment

Thanks Michigan. Yes, I am talking about patrol, not forensics. I get a lot of weird looks for that from other people in my chemistry program now, but I can't see doing chemistry forever.
      Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6236 users online. 346 members and 5890 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X