Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions regarding the FBI

Hi all
    I have a few questions about being accepted into the FBI academy & the training there

First off, is the ability to swim a skill that's required to be able to apply? And does the training include any swimming tests?

Second, I'm currently 16, and going to take a 2 year education here in Denmark which will be sort of a back up plan if this fails. After this I'm going to try if i can get into an college in Canada as i've heard good things about the colleges there. I will probably need to take some sort of college prep. class for like a year before i can get in to the college.

And here's my last question: During the FBI training, if you are accepted into the academy, will you be able to keep your day job and salary? Or will you need to go down in hours? Or do you get a federal salary during the training at the FBI?

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by BoG; 04-18-2011, 08:39 PM.

1. Check with the FBI to see if non-citizens can be accepted - now, not after you go through all of this.
    2. Check with Customs & Border Protection, but I think Danes have a short wait to become U.S. Citizens. If you get accepted at a U.S. College, your time in school may count toward your residency to become a U.S. citizen.
    3. If you are accepted, when you go to the Academy you are full time employee - it IS your day job! Also your night job, weekend job, etc.
    4. There are lots of other U.S. Federal Investigators besides the FBI - I.C.E., IRS, DEA, ATFE, Fish & Wildlife, Forest Service, over 60 agencies as I recall.
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

Comment

What Sleuth said and to make yourself more competitive become fluent in Arabic and / or Chinese. Start looking at job announcements to see what qualifications are preferred and adjust you academics to those qualifications.

While in college do NOT drink while underage or do any drugs or other stupid things that will get you disqualified. Keep your GPA high and remember your goal.

Don't come back here in a few years and ask "Will this ...... disqualify me from becoming an agent?"
      Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth View Post
        1. Check with the FBI to see if non-citizens can be accepted - now, not after you go through all of this.
        2. Check with Customs & Border Protection, but I think Danes have a short wait to become U.S. Citizens. If you get accepted at a U.S. College, your time in school may count toward your residency to become a U.S. citizen.
        3. If you are accepted, when you go to the Academy you are full time employee - it IS your day job! Also your night job, weekend job, etc.
        4. There are lots of other U.S. Federal Investigators besides the FBI - I.C.E., IRS, DEA, ATFE, Fish & Wildlife, Forest Service, over 60 agencies as I recall.
        Ok, thanks for the information i will see if i can find an email address where can i ask about the first 2 things. I'm also considering looking into the other agencies, so thanks for mentioning some, i will have a look at them. The DEA sounds like something i might be a bit interested in.

Originally posted by ddurkof View Post
        What Sleuth said and to make yourself more competitive become fluent in Arabic and / or Chinese. Start looking at job announcements to see what qualifications are preferred and adjust you academics to those qualifications.

While in college do NOT drink while underage or do any drugs or other stupid things that will get you disqualified. Keep your GPA high and remember your goal.

Don't come back here in a few years and ask "Will this ...... disqualify me from becoming an agent?"
        Yeah i imagine that's a good skill to have to get accepted to the academy. Would fluent Russian work as well? Or do you think Arabic/Chinese would be better? The reason I ask is because i already know a little tiny bit of Russian and probably would easier learn the language than i would with Chinese or Arabic.
        I will keep in mind not to drink underage. The limit is 21 over there in the US, right?
        Drugs isn't something i could ever imagine myself doing, so I'm staying far away from that.

Comment

The FBI maintains a website which hopefully will answer your questions.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
            The FBI maintains a website which hopefully will answer your questions.
            http://fbijobs.gov/

Comment

For any naturalized US citizen, you may have some issue obtaining a top secret clearance. It's not impossible, but it makes it much harder. And many of these federal agencies have as a requirement to be eligible for a top secret clearance. Unless you have a really impressive education or skills that would make them go the extra way, I am not sure that they will take the chance to go through all the expensive hiring process if there is a cloud above your head regarding the clearance at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                yeah i know about that site, but there was some questions it didn't answer

Originally posted by patrick_leo View Post
                For any naturalized US citizen, you may have some issue obtaining a top secret clearance. It's not impossible, but it makes it much harder. And many of these federal agencies have as a requirement to be eligible for a top secret clearance. Unless you have a really impressive education or skills that would make them go the extra way, I am not sure that they will take the chance to go through all the expensive hiring process if there is a cloud above your head regarding the clearance at the end.
                Wouldn't that only be a problem if i was from a country like Syria, Israel, Russia, Latvia etc.?
                Anyway, are there some agencies who hires without the need of a top secret clearance?

Comment

Originally posted by BoG View Post
                  Anyway, are there some agencies who hires without the need of a top secret clearance?
                  No.....

Comment

If you have questions not answered on the FBI web site, you can try calling the U.S. Embassy and asking to speak to the legal adviser. They are usually FBI agents. Or, (and this may be better), e-mail the FBI and ask to be put in touch with a recruiter. You may be a bit too young to start with a recruiter, but the worse thing they can say is 'callback in 3-4 years".

And clearances are not based solely on your country of origin.
                    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                    John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth View Post
                      If you have questions not answered on the FBI web site, you can try calling the U.S. Embassy and asking to speak to the legal adviser. They are usually FBI agents. Or, (and this may be better), e-mail the FBI and ask to be put in touch with a recruiter. You may be a bit too young to start with a recruiter, but the worse thing they can say is 'callback in 3-4 years".

And clearances are not based solely on your country of origin.
                      That's a good idea. I will see if i can find an email address tomorrow and then send an email. Thanks for the suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by patrick_leo View Post
                        Wrong. No issues, being a "naturalized citizen" is not a negative unless other issues in your backround point to foreign allegiance.

Source: I'm a current fed with top secret clearance and also a naturalized citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthFed View Post
                          Wrong. No issues, being a "naturalized citizen" is not a negative unless other issues in your backround point to foreign allegiance.

Source: I'm a current fed with top secret clearance and also a naturalized citizen.
                          Thank you, it's great to hear this from a guy who has experience

Comment

I just have another question:
                            If you have broken a copyright (i.e downloaded a movie from the internet or used a piece of paid software which was cracked) will that lower you chances to get into the academy? Or doesn't it matter?
                            I'm not saying I have broken a copyright, it's just a hypothetical question

Comment

Well I got an answer from the FBI now for the email I sent them
                              They've told me that becoming a US Citizen could easily take two or three years or maybe more, they couldn't say with certainty so they have advised me to contact Immigration Services to find out more. Also they've mentioned that you cannot work for the FBI before you are a US citizen. So basically it seems like it should not be a problem for me to work for the FBI whenever i have obtained a US citizenship and of course fit the requirements.
                              Also, they mentioned that swimming isn't a required skill to become an agent, but being a good swimmer is a plus in case it would be needed when on duty.

Either way, thanks to everyone here for their help and replies. I really deeply appreciate it

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6355 users online. 367 members and 5988 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X