300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCW etiquette

I am a CPL holder. what is the best way to reveal my CPLand the fact i am carrying to a LEO during a traffic stop?

After revealing this information to an LEO, what is the SOP? would they want to take control of my side arm to keep the upper hand?

most important, i dont want to do anything that would cause surprise. i know you alldeal with idiots all day long, i prefer not to end up on your idiot list

thanks

Tell the officer that you're armed with your hands in plain sight, that you have a permit and wait for instructions.
    "I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement."
    -Calvin Coolidge

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unk

Comment

What does your state require you to do? Does your state require you to informed the officer or not?

As a firearms instructor for both LE and civilian (ccw courses), I recommend that when you get pulled over by an officer, make sure you have both hands on top of steering wheel, if dark outside, turn interior lights on and informed the officer that you are CPL/CCW Permit holder and you are carrying a firearm (don't yell I have a weapon) and informed the location of your firearm. Wait for officer's request/command. Don't try to reach for your wallet or other documents until you are told to do so. If a person tells me that he/she's licensed and armed, I will use my discretion to either disarmed or not.

Again, this is just the way I recommend, but not required in all states, but some states does require ccw permit/CPL holders to disclose the info upon having a contact with an LEO.

Comment

Excellent info, thank you

One comment, there are laws and statutes governed by each state which must be complied with, then there's doing things in a respectful manner or above and beyond what the law requires. For example, if my state did not require me to surrender my weapon or reveal my concealed weapon, i would still comply with all the officers requests even if it required surrendering my weapon.

Originally posted by M1garand View Post
        What does your state require you to do? Does your state require you to informed the officer or not?

As a firearms instructor for both LE and civilian (ccw courses), I recommend that when you get pulled over by an officer, make sure you have both hands on top of steering wheel, if dark outside, turn interior lights on and informed the officer that you are CPL/CCW Permit holder and you are carrying a firearm (don't yell I have a weapon) and informed the location of your firearm. Wait for officer's request/command. Don't try to reach for your wallet or other documents until you are told to do so. If a person tells me that he/she's licensed and armed, I will use my discretion to either disarmed or not.

Again, this is just the way I recommend, but not required in all states, but some states does require ccw permit/CPL holders to disclose the info upon having a contact with an LEO.

Comment

Being that laws change frequently and often without a lot of notice, I recommend that you inform the officer that you have a CC permit, and are carrying your firearm (in that order). Keep your hands in plain sight, don't make any sudden moves, and follow the officer's directions. Last thing any LEO wants is to be surprised when they find a concealed firearm on you.
          Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by wsuguy04 View Post
            I am a CPL holder. what is the best way to reveal my CPLand the fact i am carrying to a LEO during a traffic stop?

After revealing this information to an LEO, what is the SOP? would they want to take control of my side arm to keep the upper hand?

most important, i dont want to do anything that would cause surprise. i know you alldeal with idiots all day long, i prefer not to end up on your idiot list

thanks
            Don't break the law and get pulled over and you won't have to do anything...make sense?

Did they teach you anything in your CCW class of what a LEO would do if you make contact with a LEO? What if the situation is different and it's not a traffic stop, but you bend over and someone sees your gun and calls the police? Something to ponder over.
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
              Don't break the law and get pulled over and you won't have to do anything...make sense?

Did they teach you anything in your CCW class of what a LEO would do if you make contact with a LEO? What if the situation is different and it's not a traffic stop, but you bend over and someone sees your gun and calls the police? Something to ponder over.
              this is one my biggest fears of carrying accidentally revealing my firearm and someone getting "freaked" by it. what is the protocol in this case? for the most part, i just conceal in the car. i dont really feel comfortable and educated enough to carry everywhere....

thanks

I dont plan on breaking the law sir, but sometimes even the straightest individuals slip up (especially speeding).

Comment

Up here you have to identify yourself anytime you are stopped by a LEO for any official reason. My advice is to turn the dome light on (if for a traffic stop), keep your hands on the wheel, say "Officer, I have a Concealed carry liscence and I am currently carrying. My weapon is (wherever it is). What would you like me to do?" Most of the time you will stay in the car. If you carry a wallet, carry it on the opposite side of your weapon if possible. Also when you hand him your OL or paperwork move sloooowly. You should be fine if you follow those steps. Then again some of this depends on whether WA requires you to identify yourself.
                "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
                I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

thanks
                  Don't they go over this stuff BEFORE they issue you a CPL?!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
                    You'd think they'd have to right?
                    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
                    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

In my area you are not required to tell me you have a concealed weapon. However, when I go back and run your DL it is going to tell me that you are a CCW. If my contact with you is due to a simple traffic stop and you are not getting out of your car then I really don't care that you are carrying. It's up to you if you feel the need to tell me that you are armed.

However, when I ask people to exit their vehicle I always ask if they are armed. If you lie to me and say you are not when you are then we will have a huge issue. Another thing to keep in mind, if you carry your wallet anywhere near your gun then you run the risk of me getting the wrong idea when you reach for the wallet. So keep them as seperated as possible. Also, as has already been mentioned, if you are going to tell me you have a concealed weapon then keep both hands on the wheel when doing so. You can't imagine how many people have said to me, "Oh yeah I have a knife/gun/bazooka," as they reach for the weapon to show me. They somehow always seem surprised when they hear my holster unsnap.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
                        Actually it was pretty easy to get the CPL. Background check and fingerprint w/ no CPL class...

Comment

Originally posted by JW356 View Post
                          In my area you are not required to tell me you have a concealed weapon. However, when I go back and run your DL it is going to tell me that you are a CCW. If my contact with you is due to a simple traffic stop and you are not getting out of your car then I really don't care that you are carrying. It's up to you if you feel the need to tell me that you are armed.

However, when I ask people to exit their vehicle I always ask if they are armed. If you lie to me and say you are not when you are then we will have a huge issue. Another thing to keep in mind, if you carry your wallet anywhere near your gun then you run the risk of me getting the wrong idea when you reach for the wallet. So keep them as seperated as possible. Also, as has already been mentioned, if you are going to tell me you have a concealed weapon then keep both hands on the wheel when doing so. You can't imagine how many people have said to me, "Oh yeah I have a knife/gun/bazooka," as they reach for the weapon to show me. They somehow always seem surprised when they hear my holster unsnap.
                          Thanks, and it's comical that someone would actually reach for their weapon to show you! that's the last thing i'd do, unless you request, but even in that case i think i'd prefer you take it off me to minimize any misunderstandings....

Comment

Excellent info, thank you

One comment, there are laws and statutes governed by each state which must be complied with, then there's doing things in a respectful manner or above and beyond what the law requires. For example, if my state did not require me to surrender my weapon or reveal my concealed weapon, i would still comply with all the officers requests even if it required surrendering my weapon.
                            I will add that just because it's not state law about handing over the weapon doesn't mean the officer can't do it. If he can articulate a safety concern that's all that he needs. Same as doing a Terry pat-down.
                            I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
                              I will add that just because it's not state law about handing over the weapon doesn't mean the officer can't do it. If he can articulate a safety concern that's all that he needs. Same as doing a Terry pat-down.
                              tushay

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5725 users online. 321 members and 5404 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X