Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does poor economy equal lower speed limits?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does poor economy equal lower speed limits?

    Just curious. Close to where i live, the speed limit was suddenly lowered from 45mph to 35mph. I'm sure most here are aware of human factors and the fact that when accustomed to doing something a certain way, it's hard to change all of a sudden.

    While i was driving one day, it occurred to me that maybe the speed limit was lowered so quickly or drastically because that would be an easy "revenue" generator, knowing that people would easily be caught speeding. (commuters using that road everyday for the last 10 years might be in the "habit" of driving 45mph??)

    I am law abiding, i always try to stick to the speed limit (i even use cruise control every chance i get), but was just curious if these kinds of "revenue" generating decisions are really made or am i just stabbing in the dark?

    thanks

  • #2
    I would not infer anything so drastic from one speed limit change.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

    Comment


    • #3
      Changing the speed limit isn't that easy.

      Many states require a traffic study be done and local cities typically don't have the authority to change the speed limit on a state road (highways)

      Comment


      • #4
        WSU guy, where are you talking about exactly? If you're in Pullman I'm a little familiar and wondered where this happened is happening at.

        Comment


        • #5
          You're stabbing in the dark,and no, speed limits are NOT merely arbitrarily changed. Traffic surveys/engineering studies are required, and the process is anything but rapid. As an IT professional at Boeing and a person familiar with electronics, you should appreciate the technology behind cruise control. Do you know what the best cruise control is? I'm typing this post to him right now. You're aware of the new speed limit now, so simply make a mental note to be just a little more careful and observe it. That's the best cruise control in the world.

          Comment


          • #6
            As stated, their are rules and formulas for setting speed limits. Usually when one changes its either been found to be outside those rules or something in the environment changed.

            You don't have to change speed limits to catch speeders. I could probably write 4-5 an hour with no problem if that's what I wanted to do, and the limiting factor is the time required to pull you over, write you, and get back in position, not the number of speeders.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by wickrb33 View Post
              WSU guy, where are you talking about exactly? If you're in Pullman I'm a little familiar and wondered where this happened is happening at.
              this was in the puyallup/frederickson area. although i used to live in Pullman.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yes i am the best cruise control, i agree completely, and i am not trying to let people off from breaking the law (speeding). I was more curious if the people conducting the trade studies take into account human factors. As a IT professional that designs software for airline pilots, humans factors is a huge part of any change that impacts what a human does, how humans react to changes to the norm, etc...

                thanks for your response.

                Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                You're stabbing in the dark,and no, speed limits are NOT merely arbitrarily changed. Traffic surveys/engineering studies are required, and the process is anything but rapid. As an IT professional at Boeing and a person familiar with electronics, you should appreciate the technology behind cruise control. Do you know what the best cruise control is? I'm typing this post to him right now. You're aware of the new speed limit now, so simply make a mental note to be just a little more careful and observe it. That's the best cruise control in the world.

                Comment


                • #9
                  yeah, i figure this is why most people try to get away with 5mph over the speed limit? but you must be a big city cop, i grew up in small towns and i'm pretty sure they pulled over as many speeders as they could.

                  there's a town called Colfax, the speed limit through town is 25, i promise if you hit 26 or 27, you will get pulled over...

                  Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                  As stated, their are rules and formulas for setting speed limits. Usually when one changes its either been found to be outside those rules or something in the environment changed.

                  You don't have to change speed limits to catch speeders. I could probably write 4-5 an hour with no problem if that's what I wanted to do, and the limiting factor is the time required to pull you over, write you, and get back in position, not the number of speeders.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DAL View Post
                    I would not infer anything so drastic from one speed limit change.
                    i think my question is less about the actual speed limit change and more about when the city, county or state has budget problems, they start getting creative on raising tax money, so i thought speed limit would be like a low hanging fruit...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don't know about Washington, but reality is local juridstictions get very little of th actual fine money from citations.
                      Today's Quote:

                      "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                      Albert Einstein

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by wsuguy04 View Post
                        ... was just curious if these kinds of "revenue" generating decisions are really made or am i just stabbing in the dark?
                        Speeding infractions don't generate all that much revenue for the city where they're issued. The local jurisdiction gets about 36% of the monetary penalty. The rest goes support the cost of the court system, the "Public Safety Education Account", the "Traumatic Brain Injury Account ", the "Auto Theft Prevention Authority Account," the "Emergency Medical Services & Trauma Care Trust Account" , etc, etc. The State Court system publishes a guide for the perplexed. Figuring what account gets how much is like doing your taxes long form.

                        If you really want to know the reason for this particular change was made you'll have to track down the ordinance that made it so.

                        I've worked many years for a revenue-challenged town in Washington. My observation is that speed limits are changed, and stop signs are erected not raise revenue but because somebody complained to their city councilman about the crazy drivers at the other end of their street.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by wsuguy04 View Post
                          this was in the puyallup/frederickson area. although i used to live in Pullman.
                          Ok, nevermind then. Don't really know that area, don't think I've ever been there. I figured you were complaining about Colfax, that's all I ever heard from people in that area.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Seventy2002 View Post
                            Speeding infractions don't generate all that much revenue for the city where they're issued.
                            Exactly, whenever people accuse my police department of being revenue generators, I just laugh and inform them the city council is dumber than I thought since when it's all said and done my city is losing a lot of my money by having a police department.
                            Last edited by Dingo990; 04-10-2011, 02:29 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Oh Lord. I can't believe you actually asked this question.

                              I think it's time to break out the tinfoil.

                              -V

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3485 users online. 184 members and 3301 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X