Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you still arresting people who wifi from cars? (coffeeshops, libraries, etc)?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you still arresting people who wifi from cars? (coffeeshops, libraries, etc)?

The middle of the 2000's seemed to be full of these arrests.
    http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...786abfe55a1598

We're talking people simply checking email, facebooking, etc. Thanks your feedback.

Originally posted by c1020 View Post
    The middle of the 2000's seemed to be full of these arrests.
    http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...786abfe55a1598

We're talking people simply checking email, facebooking, etc. Thanks your feedback.
    Why would anyone be arrested for checking email, facebook, etc?
    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

How can you be arrested for using a free service? Stupidest thing I've ever seen by a business. I would never darken their door again. The local news would hear about it too.
      Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

No, arrests like that are rare these days.

I heard an attorney make the argument that the default setting on most wireless routers is to have password protection, so if a network is unsecure, the presumption is the network is meant to be open to the public. I'm not sure how well that will hold up in court, but either way, arrests are extremely rare. 6 years of law enforcement, the only case I ever had was a local hotel complaining about people using their bandwith, I recommended they password protect it, end of call.

Comment

No, can't think of any law if violates locally.
          I miss you, Dave.
          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Its not a case I would be crazy about making. People/Businesses need to secure their wireless signal if they dont want people on it. Just like they need to continue making people pre-pay for gas so they wont get gas drive offs.
            Last edited by DeputySC; 04-09-2011, 09:29 PM.

Comment

It's not theft if it's unsecured. And there is no way it could be theft from a library. The whole idea of library is not paying (directly) to use the materials.
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

The middle of the 2000's seemed to be full of these arrests
                Wrong. I'm sure if this actually occurs it's so infrequent we couldn't even put a number on it, but I will try - 00000000000005% of arrests.
                I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
                  Wrong. I'm sure if this actually occurs it's so infrequent we couldn't even put a number on it, but I will try - 00000000000005% of arrests.
                  Ummmm.....

00000000000005% == 5%

How about 0.00000000000005%?
                  The academy teaches you skills, the street gives you experience, but it all comes down to your instinct.

Comment

Yes, we make hundreds of these arrest per year.

We also aggressively seek-out people who share their internet connections in violation of their internet service provider's terms of service.

It's a highly specialized regional taskforce assignment, and I'm really not permitted to discuss the operational aspects of the team as they're largely confidential.
                    All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Originally posted by RaucousSilence View Post
                      Ummmm.....

00000000000005% == 5%

How about 0.00000000000005%?
                      Sorry, thought I put the period at the beginning.
                      I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Huh? Didn't know I started arresting people for this.
                        Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

I arrested three people yesterday for recording baseball games without express written consent from Major League Baseball.
                          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

deleted IT v Lawyer rant. didn't see this was in AaC until after hitting send.

Comment

It's not illegal, so I don't arrest.

The only logic that makes it illegal would also make it illegal if they listened to music that was on loud enough to hear from the street. It's silly. If you are giving a signal away for free, it's not illegal for people to use it.
                              You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3941 users online. 215 members and 3726 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X