300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is deadly force justified?

if a suspect attacks an officer with bare hands full force would deadly force be justified? or only when weapons are presented?

It depends on the circumstances. In general: Deadly force is justified when a reasonable person believes that there is an immediate threat of death or serious bodily harm.
    Last edited by Michigan; 04-08-2011, 05:24 PM. Reason: grammar...go figure.
    I see dumb people in the mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by keviinkins View Post
      if a suspect attacks an officer with bare hands full force would deadly force be justified? or only when weapons are presented?
      The standard is when a reasonable officer believes they, another officer, or any other person is in immediate danger of serious bodily injury or death.

Comment

In addition to exigent circumstances such as:

-Size and ability of dirtbag
        -Size and ability of the Police Officer
        -Officer's exhaustion due to prolonged physical engagement
        -Age difference
        -Number of assailant's

Would deadly force be legal in the situation you posed? Maybe, but as the other fellow's above me said, it depends on the specifics of the situation.
        "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
        I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Google 'Ability, opportunity, jeopardy'.......
          Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Pursuant to a valid dirt-bag carcass tag....
            Originally posted by kontemplerande
            Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

When the situation falls within the AG guidelines.
              Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

It's contrary to my personal policy of assisting students with home work, research projects etc, but I suggest you research the laws of your state relative to the employment of deadly force. While there may be some variances from the laws of other states, your law will be similar enough for you to draw valid comparisons. So, the sooner you begin your research, the sooner you'll have your answer.

Comment

PS There's always a weapon present when a suspect attacks an officer....
                  "I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement."
                  -Calvin Coolidge

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unk

Comment

Originally posted by LPD003 View Post
                    PS There's always a weapon present when a suspect attacks an officer....
                    what if there isn't?

Comment

what if there isn't?
                      When would there not be?....

Think about it for awhile for your term paper before you reply....
                      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

what if there isn't?
                        What part of that did you not understand? There is always a weapon present when a suspect attacks an officer.

Comment

Oh oh oh can I tell him if he can't figure it out?
                          Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
                          I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
                          Originally posted by weinerdog2000
                          as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

what if there isn't?
                            There is.............................Always.

Comment

Originally posted by Redders View Post
                              Oh oh oh can I tell him if he can't figure it out?
                              No redders. Now sit down and pay attention.
                              I see dumb people in the mirror.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10175 users online. 506 members and 9669 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X