300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do any states have laws like this?

I was doing a lot of driving today and came across more than one traffic stop occurring on the roadway. So I was wondering if any states had a law that required drivers to pull off the roadway and onto say a side street or into a parking lot, when it is possible to do so, whenever an Officer stops them

I ask because these people stopped no more than 15 feet from a side street rather than pull into said side street.
    This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Not that I know of. Definitely not in NY.

-V

Comment

Nope, not that I know of either. I'd support a legislation for a law like that though.
      You can always get on the loudspeaker and order people to move to a better spot if your really uncomfortable with it.

Comment

My state law: Immediately pull as far to the right as possible and stop.

I time when and where to stop a car, not the other driver.

I get very annoyed when people think they have some input into where they should stop. The law is clear. It's this way for traffic stops AND for getting through traffic safely to calls.
        All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14 View Post
          I get very annoyed when people think they have some input into where they should stop. The law is clear. It's this way for traffic stops AND for getting through traffic safely to calls.
          Yep... I get annoyed when people refuse to move to the right. Especially if I'm trying to stop a car that is 3 or 4 cars ahead. My favorite is this... you light someone up, instead of pulling onto the clear shoulder, they move into the left turn lane and make us both wait at a stoplight before trying into the walgreens or whatever.

If people would simply pull over to the right, my job would be much easier. Once I get the car stopped, I will then decide if it is necessary for the driver to move their car.

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14 View Post

Wow, I find it hard to believe that you would get annoyed.
            Retired

Comment

Are you implying I'm opinionated or something???

And no, they don't get a "gun jammed in their face" for failing to yield to an emergency vehicle.
              All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Originally posted by resq14 View Post
                and no, they don't get a "gun jammed in their face" for failing to yield to an emergency vehicle.
                why not??????

Comment

No, you pull to the right and stop. I may not be stopping you, I may be stopping the car in front of you or I may be going somewhere totally unrelated. I don't need you poking around looking for a place you deem safe to get out of the way. If I didn't want you to stop there, I wouldn't have turned my lights on yet, like I'm not going to light you up on a bridge or an on ramp. Just pull to the right, stop, and then we'll work it out from there if need be.

On a side note, my new car has LEDs and more people actually move. Not always correctly, but at least they do get out of the way, as opposed to the old halogens where I'm behind them for two minutes and they never saw me.
                  I miss you, Dave.
                  http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I wouldn't support such a law. I pick the place of the stop for a reason. I don't need some yahoo trying to muck it up by going someplace else. If they stop someplace unsafe despite my best efforts, I'll kindly direct them to a better position.

The average person has NO idea what would be a safe (or safer) place to stop. What they "think" is a better location could be significantly worse for reasons they couldn't even consider. I don't need you pulling down the road two blocks and stopping in front of the crack house just because you thought it was "safer" up there instead. That is only one minor example.
                    Originally posted by kontemplerande
                    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6386 users online. 387 members and 5999 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X