Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAL
    replied
    You are talking about straight up and down. No one else is.

Leave a comment:

• ummone
    replied
    Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
    It flies backwards at 80mph. This simple concept is why you aren't allowed to open your own drinks on an air plane. One errant bottle cap killed a family of seven in the 1984 Sprite/Pan-am incident when it flew backward at 590mph after popping up off the bottle. Its also why the FAA bans whole fruits on aircrafts. The simple act of tossing an apple in the air could cause it to become a cannon ball sailing out the rear of the plane's fuselage.
    WINNING!

That was funny...

Leave a comment:

• ummone
    replied
    Oh and I beg to differ on the bullets falling and not being able to kill you. My last days as a trainee I was sitting in my car with the FTO schit chatten with another car on new years eve. In indianaolis the dumb f... like to shoot in to the air in celebration. One round landed on the roof of our car. It put a dent an inch deep in the car. Now i'm no exert but the damage to the car would have equated to a death sentance for a head shot.
    Last edited by ummone; 04-04-2011, 10:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ummone
    replied
    No not serious....just a little fun watching you guys scratch your heads.

Leave a comment:

• Dingo990
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    We also had one that was an radio frequency emissions engineer.....(Rockwell Collins Radio is in our town) We always wanted to send to to court on a radar ticket and have the defense attorney question him about radar but the Sheriff wouldn't let us do it because he was just a reserve.
    I've always wanted to go to law school, then render a legal opinion in court so when a defense attorney asks me where I went to law school, I could tell him :P

This came about after a fellow officer told someone it would be best if they took a breath test and he got hammered for "giving legal advice"
    Last edited by Dingo990; 04-04-2011, 09:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• crass cop
    replied
    ^^^ tee hee

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by crass cop View Post
    dude, this is why Im a cop and not a rocket scientist
    We used to have a reserve who was a nuclear engineer (at the power plant in town)

We also had one that was an radio frequency emissions engineer.....(Rockwell Collins Radio is in our town) We always wanted to send to to court on a radar ticket and have the defense attorney question him about radar but the Sheriff wouldn't let us do it because he was just a reserve.

Leave a comment:

• OneAdam12
    replied
    So that's how all those idiots survive. Maybe that's what makes them idiots. All that lead poisoning raining down.

Leave a comment:

• headonstraight
    replied
    While we are at it, let's use this opportunity to squash another misconception: Bullets that are fired straight up in to the air fall back to the earth at the same velocity (not true).

Our captain told us the other night that if a gun is fired up in the air that the bullet can kill someone when the bullet falls back down to the earth. I held my tongue.

Terminal velocity comes into play here. Just because the bullet travels up at 3000 ft/s (approx?) does not mean that it falls at the same speed. When it is returning, it only falls at about 150-200 ft/s, which is not lethal. Terminal velocity is when a bullet's weight equals the air resistance.

Now, if the gun is fired at a low enough angle, then that changes the return velocity and it can be lethal, but we are talking about straight up and down in this circumstance.

Leave a comment:

• Dingo990
    replied
    Originally posted by DAL View Post
    This is really a very simple question that you should have learned the answer to in high school.
    Or just life experience :P

Leave a comment:

• DAL
    replied
    This is really a very simple question that you should have learned the answer to in high school.

Leave a comment:

• crass cop
    replied
    dude, this is why Im a cop and not a rocket scientist

waitress.....may I have another Buffalo Trace on the rocks?

Leave a comment:

• OneAdam12
    replied
    If a rooster lays an egg on ... no.

A mama bull, papa bull and baby bulll all run ... no.

Which way is the smoke blowing from an electric train if...

Leave a comment:

• Michigan
    replied
    I love lamp.

Leave a comment:

• NYCDep
    replied
    Technically, even when you are standing "still" on solid ground, you're still moving at about 1000 miles per hour(if at the equator, slightly faster the further you are from it) from the earth's rotation. That's on top of the approximately 67,000 miles an hour that the earth is moving around the sun. And who even knows how fast the solar system is moving! Soooo, depending on whether you are facing towards the rotation of the earth, and whether you are facing in the direction of the earth orbit around the sun, would determine the exact speed of the casing as it leaves the gun.

Does your head hurt yet?

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3337 users online. 141 members and 3196 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X