Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LEOs on ride-alongs with other departments?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LEOs on ride-alongs with other departments?

per the title.

First off, how often do LEOs from other agencies do ride alongs with other officers (maybe just out of curiosity, or someone who is a friend, family etc..)? Does that happen at all?

Follow-up question from that: if they do, do they ride and act strictly as a bystander (like citizens do), or do they have more leeway when it comes to assisting the officer they ride with (but then, they are obviously out of their jurisdiction, and I am not very familiar with rules on that)?

Pardon my possible ignorance on this particular subject.

Varies, varies and varies.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Most departments have a procedure for having other officers riding along. Places like Las Vegas and LA and Chicago get lots of requests.

They'll let you wear your armor. They may or may not let you wear your gun.

Comment

Happens occasionally. I typically let other LEOs carry their firearms (concealed or otherwise). I don't treat them like a partner, but I'm not as strict about them staying in the car as I am with civilians.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
          Varies, varies and varies.
          Yep^^. I did a ride along with another agency and per their policy I was able to wear armor. I acted like a civilian out of respect for their dept (I wasn't "well we do this" and "I do this" and I let him do his own thing without my 2 cents). It's fun to see other jurisdictions you aren't used to.

Comment

There is no reason you should not be allowed to wear body armor, as long as it is concealed. Weapons policy varies. In a couple instances, they had me handle part of the call, or drive a vehicle a short distance. But I don't try to participate unless asked. And it makes a difference whether the officer you are with knows you (e.g., if you used to work together).
            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

A British officer (constable) rode with me once. He was here on vacation and knew one of our detectives through the IPA. It was interesting - we are from different countries and have some differences like weapons and procedures, but police work there doesn't sound too awfully different from a lot of our work.
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I dont because when I am off duty the last thing I want to do is ride around in a patrol car all day on my day off. But I do have friends from other agencies that will ride. All they are required to do is sign a release like any other person has to and it has to be approved by the sheriff. Each department will have their own policy on this.

Comment

I've never done one, but would. Especially if I knew the officer.... do most agencies allow ride a longs? They aren't that common here in NY.

Comment

I've done a few. Some previously with agencies I was looking to possibly apply with, others to get to know officers in the area I live (I don't work for the agency that polices the city I live in).

Originally posted by Jeff22 View Post
                    They may or may not let you wear your gun.
                    I'll be [email protected] if anyone from another agency tells me whether I can or cannot carry my weapon when it's allowed by federal law (specifically HR 218). I don't mind a department I ride with requesting me to not carry open or overtly advertise that I'm a cop off-duty, but their desires about me carrying do not supersede federal law.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimble View Post
                      I'll be [email protected] if anyone from another agency tells me whether I can or cannot carry my weapon when it's allowed by federal law (specifically HR 218). I don't mind a department I ride with requesting me to not carry open or overtly advertise that I'm a cop off-duty, but their desires about me carrying do not supersede federal law.
                      Couple of agencies back home do not let LEOs carry if they want to ride with them.....no exceptions....Guess how many times someone LEO wise rides with their Officers?

I know several guys that were in the hiring process with one place and they refused to let them carry on a ride-along that was part of the hiring process.... The Chief was dumbfounded why they opted out of the hiring process......

Comment

I've done a few. Some previously with agencies I was looking to possibly apply with, others to get to know officers in the area I live (I don't work for the agency that polices the city I live in).

well, you would be told 'have a nice day' here.

If you are going to ride with a different agency AS A PRIVATE CITIZEN, then you have two choices;

1) Follow that agencys' policies about ridealongs

2) Go home

Pretty simple
                        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                          well, you would be told 'have a nice day' here.

If you are going to ride with a different agency AS A PRIVATE CITIZEN, then you have two choices;

1) Follow that agencys' policies about ridealongs

2) Go home

Pretty simple
                          Maybe so, and if so that's not a department I'd want to do a ride along with (no offense intended to you LA DEP, but that's not fair to you, the officer/deputy I'm riding with, either if things go south and you have to concern yourself with me AND you). Although if I do a ride along with another agency I don't advertise that I'm carrying, either.
                          sigpic

Comment

Although if I do a ride along with another agency I don't advertise that I'm carrying, either.
                            Possible in violation of their policy......?

Interesting....

Comment

Maybe so, and if so that's not a department I'd want to do a ride along with (no offense intended to you LA DEP, but that's not fair to you, the officer/deputy I'm riding with, either if things go south and you have to concern yourself with me AND you). Although if I do a ride along with another agency I don't advertise that I'm carrying, either.
                              Maybe so.....but policy is policy.....and you would be asked up front by the watch commander if you were carrying or not.

The agency does not want the liabilty if something goes south and you end up capping someone, and you also sign a waiver that very specifically states that the department/county ect is not responsible if you happen to be injured during the course of the ridealong (standard ridealong waiver)

Not to say that you would not happen to have a 'carry on bag' or anything of that sort.....
                              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5455 users online. 322 members and 5133 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X