Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually did two interviews with applicants.

Prior to meeting with the applicant I would go over his initial application and PHS. During the first meeting we would discuss any discrepancies that stood out in them . Usually they included missing documents, dates that didn't match up, incomplete sections of the PHS, questions on the PHS the applicant apparently didn't understand and answered inappropriately, or things that seemed normal to the applicant but could be a flag to the BI. This could include gaps between employment or housing dates, odd reasons for leaving a prior job, etc. This interview could take anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of house. It just depends on how much info is in your packet.

Once my investigation was just about completed I would conduct a second discrepancy interview. Here we would clear up any information I developed that conflicted with your PHS and application. We would also discuss any negative information I discovered during my investigation. There almost always will be discrepancies, A coworker may bad mouth you, a date won't match up on something, there may have been a late payment requiring an explanation, a neighbor may have reported midnight animal sacrifices on your front lawn, etc. Once those areas have been satisfactorily addressed, your package will be forwarded up the food chain.

Sometimes discrepancy interviews can get complicated. A buddy of mine bought a new car, He removed the stock seats, wheels and stereo, installed super expensive replacements and put the stock items in storage. Three years later his car was stolen. When LAPD recovered it, the car was completely stripped and his insurance company paid him off for the car. He approached the insurance company, bought the chassis back from them and rebuilt the car as a salvaged vehicle using among other things, the stock items he had in storage. Everything was above board with him and the insurance company, they saw all of his receipts and they were satisfied that this was a legit deal. However, when he was going through his background, one of his neighbors assumed this was an insurance fraud scam and reported it as such to the BI. The BI had to take en extra month going through all the paperwork and touching base with LAPD and the insurance company before he could confirm that there was no wrongdoing on the applicant's part.
    Last edited by L-1; 06-02-2011, 01:33 PM.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thank you very much L-1 for that information i just got done reading the P.O.S.T. links that Iowa posted and it has given me a sense of knowing how the interview will go. I know it all depends on my personal background but all this information helps to get prepared for the actual interview.

Comment

Just had my B.I. yesterday and after all 12 applicants the Investigator said i placed 1st in all candidates! If all goes well they need 3 officers within two months and only me and another applicant are in backgrounds. Things are looking good gentlemen thank you for all your help and i will update when he calls me.

It's mind blowing to know that i started out as a self-sponsored trainee , graduated, and now have a shot at achieving my dream career.

Comment

Good for you, Joe! Exciting times, for sure...

Just as an aside ~ I came to LE later in life, and I'll wager my PHS and Background investigation were a nightmare for the BI investigator! Picture the difference in number of jobs held/life experiences/self-employment, etc. Your typical early 20's applicant might have a two or three page packet, given their short employment history. Mine weighed about three pounds in total!

Must have all worked out OK though, as I was offered and accepted my job with a State agency... Hang in there!!!
          Living the Dream... One Day at a Time!

Comment

Its a shock to be 21 YOA and having such a close chance to become part of the thin blue line im still in shock but still praying that everything goes well and the administration passes me through. Thank you Dsmack i can only imagine having such an extensive work history and life experience like the older applicants. So many steps but it will be well worth it in the end god willing.

Comment

We're rooting for you. Be sure to let us know how it all works out for you!

Continued Best of Luck to you...
              Living the Dream... One Day at a Time!

Comment

Detective just called me and scheduled me for my polygraph this thursday! Says im looking good and hes rushing me through so im all squared away. Sweet!

Comment

Since my Poly is at a different location than the actual P.D. what should i wear that would be appropriate? I don't want to be in full suit and start sweating causing the poly to go up and down on me. Would business casual be appropriate?

Comment

Suit. You will take off your coat during the poly, but wear a suit. Always.
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by Smurfette
                    Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                    Originally posted by DAL
                    You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Thank you sir sounds like a plan!

Comment

I PASSED THE POLY! Just got done at 8pm P.S.T. and am very excited the examiner told me i did great and he called my B.I. after i left and let him know the results. Almost there i can't believe it!

Thank you all for your advice and support! Ill keep this updated

Comment

It sounds like things are going VERY well.

Continue with your current ATTITUDE and remember that in each step you need to stand out. That isn't the same as outstanding (VAST difference) which of course you also need to be.

At each stage of hiring remember the suit (the only time you don't want to be in a suit is DURING the PT course), shined shoes, haircut, clean (trimmed) fingernails, close shave (I don't care if you cut yourself----it will show you tried to be cleanshaven), etc

You are close, but now that you have cleared the testing, BI , Poly----the next people you meet will be those who are CLOSE to the ones that will be making the decision...............you want to impress them moreso than the ones you have encountered so far.

NEVER, never miss out on the oppurtunity to make a good first impression........NEVER
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thank you Iowa for the advice i appreciate it ! The last two things now are my Medical and Psychological test the detective said then i'm good to go. It's been a long road but thankfully the process with this department has gone extremely fast.

Comment

Originally posted by JOE-JITSU View Post
                              Thank you Iowa for the advice i appreciate it ! The last two things now are my Medical and Psychological test the detective said then i'm good to go. It's been a long road but thankfully the process with this department has gone extremely fast.

I'll bet the FINAL stage will be an interview with the chief or with the command staff.
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

The detective showed up at my doorstep and did a neighborhood check and house check, everything is going good he says and he is going to set me up with a Chiefs oral in the upcoming weeks. He said if I pass and all goes well that I should start in June if not July and that after the Chiefs i'll have my conditional offer. Still taking it day by day and enjoying the time I have right now but very excited. Thank you all again for your advice and help hope to make a post real soon in the new officer section.

-Joe
                                Last edited by JOE-JITSU; 05-06-2011, 10:00 PM. Reason: Fixing grammar mistake

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5655 users online. 329 members and 5326 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X