• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stormz5192
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    ^^^^^^ 100%

You will still get sued. The "model policies" will ensure that anything that happens will run off the backs of the department.................BUT if you as an officer violates those policies, you will get kicked to the curb for violating (and thus subject to being sued personally)

The city/department will get some fancy suit lawyer and an executive from CALEA to testify a trial about how there are policies against whatever happened but those policies were ignored by Officer XXXXXX. Yep they will be somewhat protected.

That is a marketing tool that CALEA uses.................................then they got your department to go one step further and have a 3rd party (probably owned by someone on the CALEA board of directors) get a fee to "help".

Your city got hoodwinked twice.
    Not me, but yeah, the dept and town are eating this crap up.

http://www.rodgersgroupllc.com

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    http://www.calea.org/content/law-enf...editation-cost

Their fee schedule

Leave a comment:

• LaPlaca
    replied
    My question has always been this: Who decides that CALEA's policies are proper?

Seems to me we have a private company reaping HUGE amounts of coin by preying on PD administrators/city goverments fears of being sued. Seems to me we have a bunch of has-been cops using the fears to line their pockets. Its no different than having a has-been general on CNN thumping the desk over current US Military doctrine and telling the world what HE thinks should be done about the current issue. Well, there is a difference, I dont believe the generals, or more often a LTC it seems, are getting $250,000 for their 2min of face time.
    Last edited by LaPlaca; 04-02-2011, 11:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by PtlCop View Post
    That's a total lie. There's NOTHING you can do that will make you less susceptible to lawsuits. The people who are inclined to sue are going to sue you regardless of whether or not you're certified. The only way to ensure victory for your agency in those lawsuits is for officers to 1) not do improper things, and 2) have solid policies in place, regardless of some company's arbitrary policy certifications.
    ^^^^^^ 100%

You will still get sued. The "model policies" will ensure that anything that happens will run off the backs of the department.................BUT if you as an officer violates those policies, you will get kicked to the curb for violating (and thus subject to being sued personally)

The city/department will get some fancy suit lawyer and an executive from CALEA to testify a trial about how there are policies against whatever happened but those policies were ignored by Officer XXXXXX. Yep they will be somewhat protected.

Originally posted by stormz5192 View Post
    We are in the midst of going through it now. We have a company helping us get certified. I am not a fan,but it's being sold that we will be less susceptible to lawsuits, which we've had a few in past couple of years.
    That is a marketing tool that CALEA uses.................................then they got your department to go one step further and have a 3rd party (probably owned by someone on the CALEA board of directors) get a fee to "help".

Your city got hoodwinked twice.

Leave a comment:

• PtlCop
    replied
    Originally posted by stormz5192 View Post
    We are in the midst of going through it now. We have a company helping us get certified. I am not a fan,but it's being sold that we will be less susceptible to lawsuits, which we've had a few in past couple of years.
    That's a total lie. There's NOTHING you can do that will make you less susceptible to lawsuits. The people who are inclined to sue are going to sue you regardless of whether or not you're certified. The only way to ensure victory for your agency in those lawsuits is for officers to 1) not do improper things, and 2) have solid policies in place, regardless of some company's arbitrary policy certifications.

Leave a comment:

• stormz5192
    replied

Leave a comment:

• PtlCop
    replied
    Shake your d*cks boys, this pizzing contest is over!

Sorry, always wanted to say that.

Leave a comment:

• ateamer
    replied
    I have no doubt that their academy training is good, as the trainees generally use proper tactics. But compacency quickly sets in and they tend to start letting things slide to more of an extent than most agencies. When you are doing 20 or more car stops a day it is easy to get complacent, but some things are just unsat at any time by anyone.

Leave a comment:

• SgtCHP
    replied
    Originally posted by ateamer View Post
    If CHP is CALEA approved, that doesn't say much about CALEA's standards for tactics and officer safety, because it's a rare moment when you'll find a Chippie who understands use of cover and tactical movement on high-risk contacts.
    There you go again with the direct attacks on the CHP. Factually, you are wrong! If you care to debate the issue contact me through PM. And, frankly, I am tiring quickly of these attacks. I try to be tolerant because most officers who have not been trained by the CHP have no knowledge of what training is involved in their academy. But, I can assure all of you that the training at the CHP academy is comparable to any large academy in the state and meets or exceeds those minimum standards set forth by CA P.O.S.T. Okay, off the soap box!

Leave a comment:

• ateamer
    replied
    If CHP is CALEA approved, that doesn't say much about CALEA's standards for tactics and officer safety, because it's a rare moment when you'll find a Chippie who understands use of cover and tactical movement on high-risk contacts.

Leave a comment:

• LaPlaca
    replied
    Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
    Read this propaganda. Some higher up pushed the top brass for this.............rediculous!

CHP Is CALEA Compliant
    From the link:

On November 20, 2010, CALEA formally recognized the California Highway Patrol (CHP) as an accredited law enforcement agency. In receiving this honor, the CHP became the largest accredited law enforcement agency in the Nation. This prestigious award is a confirmation of our professional excellence and adherence to sound policies and procedures. Departmental policies and procedures, as well as proofs of compliance, will be provided to CALEA on an ongoing basis to ensure continued compliance with established standards.

I think i just puked in my mouth.

unfortunately we are an 'accredited agency' which means we get a stupid sticker for our cars. thats about it. we had every light duty guy and a captain that does....well im really not sure to be honest....jumping out their *** to get all the crap together for the CALEA gods. it cost 1/4 million every three years for the privledge of being 'accredited'. there are 450 'standards' that must be abided by. my understanding is CALEA is a bunch of has-been chiefs/Lt.'s/Capt's that havent sat in a patrol car or taken a report in 30 years scamming/fleecing/shafting agencies into believing their way is the right way, regardless of where the agency is or what it does. Im in Texas. The CHP now has to abide by and, im sure has the exact, policies we do.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
    Wisconsin even has a model policy section on WILENET (our law enforcement information sharing website) that has a model policy on just about everything under the sun. You could have a policy manual completely written in a weekend with time left for beer and BBQ.
    And not put up with the CALEA BS......

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
    Just rip them off websites :P
    That's what I suggested but the Chief didn't go for it....so he went the other route and it took me no time to do them up......

Leave a comment:

• SRT936
    replied
    Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    Actually, one can join the International Association of Chiefs of Police and get free policy/procedure help from them.....including stuff already done in Word format. All you have to do is add/delete as needed.....and change names.

So easy, that even a Bearcat did it for one of his part-time agencies....
    Wisconsin even has a model policy section on WILENET (our law enforcement information sharing website) that has a model policy on just about everything under the sun. You could have a policy manual completely written in a weekend with time left for beer and BBQ.

Leave a comment:

• Dingo990
    replied
    Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    Actually, one can join the International Association of Chiefs of Police and get free policy/procedure help from them.....including stuff already done in Word format. All you have to do is add/delete as needed.....and change names.
    Or call an agency with policies you like and they will be more than happy to email them to you.

OR

Just rip them off websites :P

I believe my hometown (around 50,000 people) spent hundreds of thousands making CALEA happy so they can could get certified. I hate to see what CHP spent.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5653 users online. 329 members and 5324 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X