Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your opinion on being in the Marine Reserves while being a cop?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your opinion on being in the Marine Reserves while being a cop?

I'm graduating in May and am trying to figure out what to do. Part of me wants to go active Marines, but I don't want to get out and start my career when I'm 26 years old. So I'm considering Reserves and starting my career as a cop now. What is your opinion on this? I would try to get into the Baltimore Police Department and once I'm in, I would join the Reserves. Anyone work with people in the Reserves? Is this a bad idea?

For most people, 26 is a young age to start police work. If you want to go active duty, do it. You'll come out more mature with an outstanding resume.

Having said that, I was in the National Guard while working my LE job. It went well although it does present some challenges.
    Originally posted by kontemplerande
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

You don't want to start your career at 26, with your health care largely taken care of? In a career with very good retirement at 25 years in most places? Even 20 in a lot of places? You would have plenty of time to even do another career after that, if you wanted.

I'm working with several people who are in their early 40s that have a full 20-year military retirement and are still fairly young. That's a great way to do it financially.

I got married in college and went a different way, but I'd be a lot better off right now if I'd gone active military back then. Just something to think about.
      If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

stay in reserves and retire from there. be a cop too.
        I know a cop who just retired and was a naval reservist, (Captain), at the same time who will be retiringsoon from the reserves ....his naval pension will be more than his cop pension...cha ching
        "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
        The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
        sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
        Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Originally posted by dcrowley23 View Post
          I'm graduating in May and am trying to figure out what to do. Part of me wants to go active Marines, but I don't want to get out and start my career when I'm 26 years old. So I'm considering Reserves and starting my career as a cop now. What is your opinion on this? I would try to get into the Baltimore Police Department and once I'm in, I would join the Reserves. Anyone work with people in the Reserves? Is this a bad idea?
          Graduating high school or college?

Comment

When you say graduate, I assume you're graduating from high school.(?) My thought would be for you to enlist in the Marine Corps Reserve upon graduation. Unless the program has changed drastically, the Corps will require six months of active duty, followed by monthly drill and summer training assignments. Proceeding in this manner would allow you ample time to apply to the Baltimore Police Dept, or other LE agencies. You might also want to get a feel for how an agency supports it's personnel who are serving in Guard and Reserve components. For example, the Agency from which I'm retired has a long standing practice of supporting members who are in Guard or Reserve status. Federal Law notwithstanding, this support, or lack of it, can make a major difference. Good luck in whatever choice you make.

Comment

BPD might make you wait until you get off probation (2 years from hire date) before joining the reserves. My department does -- don't know if that's a Maryland thing or not.

Comment

Highly depends on your LEA.
                Last edited by ryker; 03-29-2012, 08:46 AM.
                Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6496 users online. 349 members and 6147 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X