300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you guys could quit, would you?

I took a citizens class several years ago for an agency and one thing stood out about what a SGT said. He said that officers, when they retire, (working 25 plus years) don't live that long due to health problems. For instance, their body and heart has taken a toll due to anxiety and other issues in the performance of their duties. Knowing what you guys know now, would you be a police officer all over again or would you choose a different career?

Another question, would you suggest law enforcement as a career to family and friends or would you tell them to go down another path?

Thanks.

I wouldn't change a thing..................................for the most part.

Remembering that I just retired after almost 35 yrs in the business, I would have no problem suggesting the career to anyone as long as they went in with their eyes wide open.

I although I had 35 yrs in , my pension was only for 27 yrs (break in service and withdrawal of 7 yrs worth) but I retired with almost 68% of my top 3 yr average salary @ age 55.
    I am living quite well thankyouverymuch on my pension & could easily make plenty more working at a much less stressful job.

Officers are living longer where they have the early retirement clauses in their pension laws. As the Sgt told you in your class-----this job is hard on your body and soul & those who earn the early pension earn every penny.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thankfully I was a member of this board before I joined the police force. With all of the advice from veteran officers and even rookies I was able to essentially go in "with eyes wide open" like Iowa suggests. I have a lot less stress because of this. Yes, this job can take its' emotional and physical tolls. But a strong support network and quality exercise with a good diet can mitigate some damage.

Comment

From what I have seen the guys who drop dead shortly after retiring didn't have any hobbies or a life outside of work. Those who have plenty of things to do have kept on ticking.

Comment

I'd do it again and have no problem with recommending the job to those that I see have their head screwed on straight and the mentality to deal with what the job is. That said, I'm looking forward to retiring in the next three years when the retirement benefit will actually be worth something.
          I'm tired of missing out on so much of my son's formative years because of shift scheduling and the inherent problems that arise from same.

Comment

Short answer.....Yes.

Comment

Maybe I need to make my reply a little more clear. I've been retired a little over five years. I'm enjoying the hell out of it. No one has any guarantee of tomorrow. Yes, if I had it to do all over again, I'd still be a cop.

Comment

I'm just wired stupid. I've been a soldier, a security contractor, and a cop. I tried "normal" for a hand full of years and didn't adapt well. For better or worse, I'd do the same thing again, although maybe less soldier and more contractor.
                I miss you, Dave.
                http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Oh yeah, I'd do it again, but I would want to work somewhere else, i.e. a much bigger agency.

Comment

I think we forget that any job will get old after 20 plus years. However, overall most of are well compisated and have a great retirement plan. Front row ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Stay in good health and have a plan of what you are going to do after retirement.

Comment

As much as I like the job, if I won the Super Lotto and could afford it, I'd probably quit. I only have six or seven years to go anyway, but those are years that could be spent with my wife traveling and generally having fun. I've also about had my fill of injuries and not doing this job would go a long way toward keeping me healthier.
                      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCop View Post
                        Oh yeah, I'd do it again, but I would want to work somewhere else, i.e. a much bigger agency.
                        I thought that too. I would have never met my wife if I had and then reversed my thinking. Yes, all over again. Three kids and two grandkids. No regrets.
                        Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

I spent a little over thirty years in LE and have regretted only one period in that career - that of the last major incident I was involved in. However, that was just one incident and it has settled well in the back of my mind.

I retired in 1992 and have enjoyed every moment. It has permitted me to reacquaint myself with my wife - we have been together for forty-nine years - and to do some things we have always wanted to do. That said, I would not hesitate to recommend the business if someone were to inquire. Mine was a rewarding career - both physically and mentally. Trouble is it has all gone too fast. Good luck if you opt to join the fraternity.
                          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

I wish I would have gotten into LE sooner. I love my job and suggest it to anyone...with that being said not anyone can do this job....

Comment

Originally posted by The State View Post
                              I wish I would have gotten into LE sooner. I love my job and suggest it to anyone...with that being said not anyone can do this job....
                              Don't you mean, "Not EVERYONE can do this job?" Anyone can do it, but not everyone!
                              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4765 users online. 267 members and 4498 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X