300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animal Calls-Your stories!

Officers, Deputies, Troopers et cetera. I'm doing a report for my Patrol class that has to do with animal calls. I was wondering if any of you had any scary, funny, weird animal calls? There wasn't much for me to talk about so I wanted to make room for some interesting stories.

Any help is very warmfully accepted.

Josh

Recently had to get and identify a snake for a guy. He was in the emergency room after being bitten on the inner thigh. The doctor asked me to try and find out what it was. He told me that the man was on his deck working out when he was bitten. I found a work out machine on the deck and a bunch of junk everywhere. Took me an hour to find the snake but it was inside of the tubular steel under the seat of the work out machine. It was a copperhead. I caught the snake and took it to the hospital and the guy had an area about the size of a soft ball that had already turned black. He ended up being ok but he was in a lot of pain for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Napsack View Post
      Recently had to get and identify a snake for a guy. He was in the emergency room after being bitten on the inner thigh. The doctor asked me to try and find out what it was. He told me that the man was on his deck working out when he was bitten. I found a work out machine on the deck and a bunch of junk everywhere. Took me an hour to find the snake but it was inside of the tubular steel under the seat of the work out machine. It was a copperhead. I caught the snake and took it to the hospital and the guy had an area about the size of a soft ball that had already turned black. He ended up being ok but he was in a lot of pain for awhile.
      Just wondering if there was a subliminal message there...
      It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
      Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

This one was memorable:

I never did get the smell out of my patrol car.

Comment

This must be our week for helping students-------------------something we rarely do, but enjoy when asked nicely.

Well, many years ago there was this guy and the heifer............................neither were very happy when I drove up. The man because I spoiled his fun, the heifer because I didn't get there fast enough.

They guy ended up doing 2 yrs in prison. I don't know what happened to the heifer..........but I didn't eat any beef in restaurants in the area for a long time.
          Last edited by Iowa #1603; 03-27-2011, 05:50 PM.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

This was a fun call:

A guy was out checking his deer stand when this emu came out of the woods and chased him down. He hopped on his ATV to get away, but the emu kept pace. Chased him all the way to his house and kept his whole family pinned inside. The emu (named Ethel) had escaped a week earlier from her owner and had been on the lamb ever since. Ethel had no ill intent, she just missed human contact. She was soon re-united with her soul mate, Fred.

I'm told the patrol guys last night had a B&E in progress that turned out to be a horse that forced her way into the house and couldn't get out....
            Originally posted by kontemplerande
            Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

I had a call about a pig in a trailer park tearing up stuff. I arrived and the pig was friggin large, 500 to 600 pounds. It had escaped from a FFA barn down the road after a thunder storm. Well we roped the thing and let me tell you a 500 pound pig does not have to do what you want it too. It did not like the rope and went any way, but the way we wanted it too. Finally, it just laid down, it was not going to move for us at all.

In Texas, and much of the South, we have a blight called fire ants, the pig laid down on a two foot tall fire ant mound. The ants were all over that thing and it didn't even wince. That is when I knew the pig had won.

We were at a loss when the owner showed up, a 15 year old 95 pound girl. She walks up to it and talks to it and the darned thing gets up and follows her. She told us that it didn't like leads, but would do what she wanted it to. Amazing to watch.

Other animal calls..... A charging cow is not stopped by a .45.

Remember that skunks run in pairs, if you see one, there is another one somewhere close.

When kicked off of a forth story, opposums will give you a dirty look and wonder off without injury.
              Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

Guy that worked for a previous dept I was with responded to a frantic woman calling to say her dog had been hit by a car

Guy heads to the house and meets the woman whose dog is lying in pain after sure enough being hit by a car, lady asks him to do something

So he promptly gets in his patrol car and backs over the dog......
                Originally posted by Rudy8116
                The only reason I have one in the chamber at all times is because it is impossible to have two in.

Originally posted by CruiserClass
                OC is my last option. I've never met anyone immune to electricity or physics.

Comment

Goat got into the grocery store at an old dept I worked at. That weird enough?
                  Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
                  I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
                  Originally posted by weinerdog2000
                  as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

One day shift I received a call about a woman screaming. I was just around the block from the call so I parked and walked to the callers address. As I was approaching I could hear a woman screaming. I advised dispatch I verified the initial call and was attempting to contact. No one else was available in the area.

Gun drawn, I identified myself and continued to hear screaming. I kicked in the front door after no response to my yelling. More screaming. I follow the screaming to the bathroom and the screaming is coming from the inside with the door locked. Identified myself again and she stopped screaming and yelled “Come in here now!”

I kicked in that door and saw a naked woman standing on the toilet lid jumping from one foot to the next trying to stay in the middle of the lid. Then I saw it, a small, brown, furry, wet, arm between the seat and bowl trying to claw at the woman’s feet. I grabbed a towel for the woman and she wrapped herself and I lifted her off the toilet down to the floor. (I don’t think it took her three steps to get out the front door.) I lift up the toilet seat and rescue a drowning squirrel. She told me it had surfaced while she was doing her business.

Copied from Wierdest Encounter thread
                    Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

This happened over last weekend.
                      We were holding an ODWI roadblock.

We're about half way through the roadblock shift, when I hear my Sgt. start busting up laughing, he was checking papers on a car that was about 3 down from me. I look over....and sure enough, a monkey is handing my Sgt. a drivers license. The monkey was sitting in the drivers lap, the driver had a huge grin on his face, before you knew it all the Officers working that roadblock were laughing.

Sadly, the driver didn't have his insurance card with him and was cited.

Comment

Originally posted by irish21 View Post
                        This happened over last weekend.
                        We were holding an ODWI roadblock.

We're about half way through the roadblock shift, when I hear my Sgt. start busting up laughing, he was checking papers on a car that was about 3 down from me. I look over....and sure enough, a monkey is handing my Sgt. a drivers license. The monkey was sitting in the drivers lap, the driver had a huge grin on his face, before you knew it all the Officers working that roadblock were laughing.

Sadly, the driver didn't have his insurance card with him and was cited.
                        Was it a chimp? If it was I wouldn't have wrote him.
                        Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
                        I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
                        Originally posted by weinerdog2000
                        as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

Oh goodness. I work the county, sir. I have many.

... call comes in as cow loo0se on the highway. Arrive on scene, there are no fewer than 30 cattle hanging out, stopping traffic. Totally unconcerned. Two staties and I convinced them to get back into their pasture, at which time we found a DWI accident (he put the hole in the fence).

... call comes in as an alarm, unknown trouble. We get there, and a family has been raising two deer in their laundry room. The deer got loose. it was quite a mess.

... call comes in as robbery in progress in a barn. We haul out there, and it's two 500-lb hogs, and they're not coming out. As a side note, don't taze a hog unless he has a clear path to an exit. He will, in fact, make his own path out otherwise.

... a pair of skunks wandered into a rural preschool/daycare while the kids were on the playground. I think the teachers would have preferred pepper spray.

and my personal favorite:

Originally posted by RaucousSilence View Post
                          Our dispatch is obligated to convey to us both the caller's exact words, and whatever dispatch thinks that means, whenever they send us on a call.

Originally posted by Dispatch
                          Unit XXXX, I need you to 96 to XXXXX address to talk with a woman who needs you to, quote, bop a possum on the head with that big stick you carry, end quote. No further information available at this time
                          I get out there, and sure enough. This lady has a trash can into which has climbed a HUGE opossum. He was hissing and making quite the racket, and she wanted me to club it to death with my nightstick, because she was out of ammo for her .38, and her "damn stupid kid" had just been arrested for felony theft, and therefore could not come over to help her.

The opossum was released, without harm, into the woods that bordered her house.
                          The academy teaches you skills, the street gives you experience, but it all comes down to your instinct.

Comment

We had a thread on this not to long ago didn't we.

Don't forget to ask Smurfette about her love of geese.

I have a couple bear stories but Jakflak's beat mine hands down. Mine just involve California blacks. Polar bears, no thank.
                            Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

"Injured Ducks" call.

Call comes in at the local Kmart, there are injured ducks near the doors trying to get in, and seagulls on the roof are picking on them.

I show up (had an Explorer riding with me), and find not injured ducks, but juvenile non-flying seagulls. Apparently the RP has no idea what a DUCK looks like. So I call the local wildlife rescue (whaaat, it was a SLOW day), who shows up with a cardboard box. I looked at her like she was crazy. She picks up the one baby that had been traumatized to the point of just freezing and letting itself get caught. I chase after the ****ed off, more active sibling. It was hysterical. My Explorer was NOT going to help, but I finally got it corralled by the Coke machines and grabbed it. Wow those things are VERY angry and do not like being picked up.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3701 users online. 195 members and 3506 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X