300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop Sticks

Several of our units have spikes in them. Used to be only the supervisors carried them but they worked so well that we got some more. Supervisors aren't always available when you need them, you know.

I've seen a couple of times where the spikes were thrown out & the bad guy stopped to keep from running over them. I also chased a guy several miles after he blew out two tires & got a windshield full of loose gravel in the process.

Originally posted by Gunter:
    Been used quite a few times, effective at stopping the car sooner or later. they work on cop car tires, too...
    I've seen most of your PD's chases on the news. I remember one or two of those patrol cars getting hit too. You probably hate it when that happens. Then you're out of the excitement.

Comment

Stop Sticks

Does everyone carry them in their cars or just certain officers at your dept? Have you used them and if so, can you tell us about your experience (i.e. what happened)?

Comment

Stop sticks......yeah right.

Sometimes I feel lucky that they supply us with a uniform.

Comment

We have the Stinger extendable metal road spikes. They are kept in every patrol vehicle and everyone is trained on them. We have used them several times and found them very effective. They are NOT good for tires that have already been flattened (by other departments who fail to tell you that they already spiked them!) Just remember to drop the rope

Comment

Stop Sticks??? Yeah, if I buy them.
            They're good, but so is a lot of other costly things, and in my Department, they don't make the "budget cut."

Comment

We carry the Stop Sticks. Training consisted of watching a video. No, have not had to actually use them.

Comment

Only Traffic Patrols can carry stingers. Never seen a stop stick in the country

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo8:
                  Stop sticks......yeah right.

Sometimes I feel lucky that they supply us with a uniform.
                  They supply you with it? Wow, even better than ours! We even have to buy our patches/badges.

Comment

I've used them and they worked great.

Of course, stopping depends on the driver. I had a guy continue 5 miles on the rim until the wheel just locked up, but it was still a successful deployment.

BTW, if you submit documentation of a use, Stop Stick sends you a SS pin.

Comment

We have them in each patrol vehicle (Stop Stix). Been used quite a few times, effective at stopping the car sooner or later. Training was a video and throwing them out once. BTW, they work on cop car tires, too...

Comment

My experiences have been the bad guy always continued on for several miles more before stopping, crashing, etc. And very rarely did it actually slow them down!

Comment

Stop sticks???? lol

In our state we must be justified in using deadly force to set up ANY type of road block, and we have to leave an avenue of escape!!

Comment

The first, and so far only time Stop Sticks have been used in this state the officer was struck by the car and killed. I don't think our procedures were up to scratch. They're a good concept, we've just got work on the finer things.

Comment

Stop Sticks are deadly force?

That's a new one on me. Your legislature needs to find out how they work. They puncture the tire and allow the air to leave in a controlled manner, allowing a safe, controlled stop.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11625 users online. 508 members and 11117 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X