300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions

Hello everyone, I am new here and wanted to ask a couple of questions.

Me and a few friends 21-29 age range considering doing the application online http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/police/recruitment.htm

Suffolk County Police Department is hiring in New York and they pay more than NYC Police Department which is crazy but kinda good since I live in the city and would be smart to become a cop far in long island where no one would really know me?

My questions are .. they state in their site that starting salary is $42,000 and after 5years of service $108,000. Is this always true or no? What if someone decides to join is there a contract they have to work for 20yrs with them? I wanted to join the Miami PD but they have a hiring freeze down in South Florida how or is it possible to transfer out of state?

I'm currently working as a System Administrator in a IT company making 40k/salary before taxes and going to college full-time as well. Will I still be able to continue my studies? Even though my school is flexible because its an all-online-school and I work at my own pace.
    Last edited by LycanNyc; 03-26-2011, 12:44 AM.

You post was a little hard to understand but I'll try to help the best I can.
    1. I don't know about the pay, so I won't say anything other than, *all together now*, there is no money in policing
    2. I have never heard of a 20 year contract, but several depts will make you sign an agreement that you will not leave the dept for a certain amount of time to go to another agency or you will be faced with paying them back for your training if they send you to the academy (in Georgia, it's 2 years, but if you go to a federal job or go to a non-LE job, you don't have to pay). Also, I have heard of a few colleges that make you sign contracts in two year increments, but that's usually because they don't want you to sign up for classes and then quit (we who work for the UNIV Sys get 3 free classes a semester).
    3. Most states allow you to take a test and a few state specific classes and will then grant you reciprocity (you are now that state certified). I believe NY, FL, and CA all accept each others certifications pretty easily, but I have obviously never tried.
    4. Though you may still be able to take classes, don't count on it. While in the academy, on FTO, and during most of your first year, it will be very hard to focus on more than just policing, and adding something else like school to that could be bad for your academic career, professional career, or both. I am blessed in that I recently get hired by a college PD so I can go to class while working, and tuition free (I tried going while working the street and it was impossible because of dept politics).
    5. My first dept was 45 miles away from where I live and in a different county. I liked it because I never had to arrest and rarely had to deal with people I had known for years. I would still see old school mates and the like, but not nearly as often as if I worked at home. Also, most officers I have talked to, including my chief, said they wish their first few years had been somewhere other than home, too.

Hope this helped some, and good luck to you.
    Originally posted by Ceridwen
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

I've never heard of a twenty year contract....ever. The$ 42 .000- $108.000 is probably the "salary range" for entry level Officers. While that's pretty decent money , at least from a southern perspective, we really aren't in this for the money. Continuing your studies will probably be do-able, but as has been mentioned, your first year will be pretty busy. The Academy will demand your total dedication, and even the most laid back academies will require a total commitment . Your FTO Training will be no less demanding, so, in all probability, your current academic efforts will need to go on the back burner.

Comment

Originally posted by dontknowwhy View Post
        You post was a little hard to understand but I'll try to help the best I can.
        1. I don't know about the pay, so I won't say anything other than, *all together now*, there is no money in policing
        2. I have never heard of a 20 year contract, but several depts will make you sign an agreement that you will not leave the dept for a certain amount of time to go to another agency or you will be faced with paying them back for your training if they send you to the academy (in Georgia, it's 2 years, but if you go to a federal job or go to a non-LE job, you don't have to pay). Also, I have heard of a few colleges that make you sign contracts in two year increments, but that's usually because they don't want you to sign up for classes and then quit (we who work for the UNIV Sys get 3 free classes a semester).
        3. Most states allow you to take a test and a few state specific classes and will then grant you reciprocity (you are now that state certified). I believe NY, FL, and CA all accept each others certifications pretty easily, but I have obviously never tried.
        4. Though you may still be able to take classes, don't count on it. While in the academy, on FTO, and during most of your first year, it will be very hard to focus on more than just policing, and adding something else like school to that could be bad for your academic career, professional career, or both. I am blessed in that I recently get hired by a college PD so I can go to class while working, and tuition free (I tried going while working the street and it was impossible because of dept politics).
        5. My first dept was 45 miles away from where I live and in a different county. I liked it because I never had to arrest and rarely had to deal with people I had known for years. I would still see old school mates and the like, but not nearly as often as if I worked at home. Also, most officers I have talked to, including my chief, said they wish their first few years had been somewhere other than home, too.

Hope this helped some, and good luck to you.
        Thanks so much

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
        I've never heard of a twenty year contract....ever. The$ 42 .000- $108.000 is probably the "salary range" for entry level Officers. While that's pretty decent money , at least from a southern perspective, we really aren't in this for the money. Continuing your studies will probably be do-able, but as has been mentioned, your first year will be pretty busy. The Academy will demand your total dedication, and even the most laid back academies will require a total commitment . Your FTO Training will be no less demanding, so, in all probability, your current academic efforts will need to go on the back burner.
        Thanks as well =)

I took the NYPD first test a few yrs ago when I was about 18 and scored high but didn't pursue it since I didn't have college credits at that time.
        But now 5yrs later, going to complete the internet filing for the Suffolk County PD today and pay the $100 application fee.
        And lets see what happens

Comment

Originally posted by LycanNyc View Post
          Suffolk County Police Department is hiring in New York and they pay more than NYC Police Department which is crazy but kinda good since I live in the city and would be smart to become a cop far in long island where no one would really know me?
          That is a very long run-on sentence.

Comment

My cousin thats taking the test as well on June 11th, thinks he will get hired by september 2011.
            I told him I highly doubt it from what I been reading here, am I right ?

Comment

I believe you're probably correct. Your cousin needs to have his crystal ball checked. It's broken.

Comment

Originally posted by LycanNyc View Post
                Hello everyone! I am new here and would like to ask a couple of questions.

A few friends and I, ages 21-29, are considering doing the application online for the Suffolk County Police Department. http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/police/recruitment.htm

They pay more than NYPD, which is kind of good. I live in the city and it would be smart to become a cop out on Long Island where no one really knows me?

My questions are:

1. They state in their site that starting salary is $42,000 and after 5years of service $108,000. Is this always true?

2. What if someone decides to join, is there a contract they have to work for 20yrs with them?

I wanted to join the Miami PD but they have a hiring freeze down in South Florida.

3. Is it possible to transfer out of state?

I'm currently working as a System Administrator in a IT company making 40k/salary before taxes and going to college full-time as well.

4. Will I still be able to continue my studies? My educational program is flexible because it is an all-online-school and I work at my own pace.
                There, I fixed it up for you! Since you want to become a police officer, you need to work on your writing skills!
                Last edited by SgtCHP; 05-19-2011, 06:02 PM.
                Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

(10 years experience as a Municipal Cop in NYS)

I've never heard of a NY Agency utilizing a contract in this manner (i.e. 20 year contract). I think it may be against civil service laws.

Not sure if NYS allows for the "if you jump ship to another PD within [short amount of years] you have to pay us back for the Academy" type contract. I know for a fact Agencies in other States sometimes do this (it does make a lot of sense), just never heard of this in NYS.

NY Municipal Police certification will transfer to FL (although you will have to take some short filler classes and pass FL's certification test), however, NY does not recognize ANY other State certification (yeah, I know, NYS sux). NY State Police also only recognize their own live-in academy, NYPD only recognizes their academy (i.e. once certified in NYS you can lateral within the State without going through another academy as long as it isn't NYSP or NYPD).

the figures you listed are the actual payscale for that Agency. It's by civil service contract, so once you've been a Suffolk cop for 5 years you will be at top pay: 108k. 108k might sound like a lot of money, but remember it's NYC/Long Island. Lucky if you can buy a decent house with that salary without having to commute two hours each way.

-V

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                    I believe you're probably correct. Your cousin needs to have his crystal ball checked. It's broken.
                    Thanks for assuring me I wasn't wrong.

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                    There, I fixed it up for you! Since you want to become a police officer, you need to work on your writing skills!
                    Thanks as well

Comment

Originally posted by vincelli View Post
                      (10 years experience as a Municipal Cop in NYS)

I've never heard of a NY Agency utilizing a contract in this manner (i.e. 20 year contract). I think it may be against civil service laws.

Not sure if NYS allows for the "if you jump ship to another PD within [short amount of years] you have to pay us back for the Academy" type contract. I know for a fact Agencies in other States sometimes do this (it does make a lot of sense), just never heard of this in NYS.

NY Municipal Police certification will transfer to FL (although you will have to take some short filler classes and pass FL's certification test), however, NY does not recognize ANY other State certification (yeah, I know, NYS sux). NY State Police also only recognize their own live-in academy, NYPD only recognizes their academy (i.e. once certified in NYS you can lateral within the State without going through another academy as long as it isn't NYSP or NYPD).

the figures you listed are the actual payscale for that Agency. It's by civil service contract, so once you've been a Suffolk cop for 5 years you will be at top pay: 108k. 108k might sound like a lot of money, but remember it's NYC/Long Island. Lucky if you can buy a decent house with that salary without having to commute two hours each way.

-V
                      Actually with $80k+ you can live comfortably anywhere in NYS without having a roommate

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3617 users online. 194 members and 3423 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X