300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral Board Question/Answer

I'm curious to know if I answered this question properly or not...

In an interview the other day I was put in a scenario where alone on patrol I get a call for shots fired in a local elementary school (the one I went to actually) just down the road. Upon arriving first on scene you hear gunshots and see teachers/children running out of the building and panicking. You are told there is a gunman shooting people inside. What do you do?

I responded with first updating dispatch with this information, and then I would put on my tac vest, grab my rifle, and walk inside. There is no way I could stay outside and listen to someone indiscriminately shooting people.

It makes sense to me, however the boards response was a prompt "OK" and showed no sign of approval, which they had done when I answered other questions appropriately. I can understand staying out if there was some sort of hostage situation, however that was not the case here.

So, I am curious of your opinions. Was my response acceptable?
    Yes
    77.42%
    No
    6.45%
    There is another way to answer this (explain)
    16.13%
    "Friendly Fire, isn't"

I said yes, only because I couldnt live with myself if I waited outside and waited for backup and 12 kids died in the meantime.

what size department was it? if it were a large city, you would obviously want to form a tactical approach with other officers but if you are in a rural area like I am, it would be a massacre before anyone else could get there

why do the job if you arent willing to make tough choices at your own expense sometimes?

just my opinion.

Comment

"Put the station limited, start me some units, notify my 10-car and start fireboard."

"10-4, John-6"
      <--- "The man"

Comment

It's against policy here..... the first 4 on scene team up and go in.

In reality, I don't know if I could wait; even knowing that waiting would be the best tactical decision and is probably the best overall decision.

Either way, I'm not standing by while kids die.

Comment

Depends on several factors. That call in my jurisdiction if I was first on scene, second and third would only be a few seconds behind me. My the time I got my rifle out, locked and loaded and leg rig with extra ammo out other officers would be pulling up and we'd roll out. Some agencies it's gonna be all you for 20 min.
          "Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water, in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

Comment

Originally posted by hobbsie711 View Post
            Depends on several factors. That call in my jurisdiction if I was first on scene, second and third would only be a few seconds behind me. My the time I got my rifle out, locked and loaded and leg rig with extra ammo out other officers would be pulling up and we'd roll out. Some agencies it's gonna be all you for 20 min.
            +100000.....your answer (like most answers in this job field) is going to be agency and/or area specific
            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

there's really no right answer.

Tactically you want to wait for additional officers. Two guns are always better then one. Also what if there are more then one shooter? If you go down, now officers are going to divert their attention from the threat to rescuing you.

But we all know, some of us out here can not stand by while people are slaughtered, especially kids. So going in alone isn't the wrong answer either.
              “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Active shooter...we hear shots fired or someone says there is an active shooter...with a large possibility of death such as school mall or hospital...

1st officer on scene takes whatever firepower he can an goes in...alone if no one else is there yet. General orders actually dictate this.

Sometimes we have to earn our money..and this is one of those times.

Comment

As a former teacher, I am going to do my best to eliminate the threat as quickly as possible whatever that takes. That being said, we are trained first 3 on scene team up and go...... where I am it is likely 3 officers would arrive within seconds of each other, if not following eachother enroute. I would pray that by the time I arrive, the school liason officer has had the opputunity to "stop the threat" if not, I would do it as quickly as I could and hope that at the end of the shift I was able to go home and give my child a kiss. We get paid to run in while others run out, so even though I may not make it home, hopefully many children will because I was there.

Comment

Policy be damned in this situation, I don't care if it says I wait for 3 or 4 more officers, if they're not arriving as I am and I'm ready to go into the school, I'm going in. I'll lose my job with honor, knowing that I did what I could to prevent the loss of life.

Any agency who specifies a policy that says that an officer on scene must wait for a certain number of other officers, is ridiculous. Lets say that you're clearing a call in the parking lot across the street from the school when the call goes out and backup is 5-7 minutes away. I could not, and would not, sit in the parking lot with my thumb up my *** waiting for additional units to arrive. I could not stand there at the end of the incident and watch bodies of children being carried out knowing that I could have done something to stop it, or at least make the body count lower.
                    Originally posted by K40
                    To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                    ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Originally posted by PtlCop View Post
                      Policy be damned in this situation, I don't care if it says I wait for 3 or 4 more officers, if they're not arriving as I am and I'm ready to go into the school, I'm going in. I'll lose my job with honor, knowing that I did what I could to prevent the loss of life.

Any agency who specifies a policy that says that an officer on scene must wait for a certain number of other officers, is ridiculous. Lets say that you're clearing a call in the parking lot across the street from the school when the call goes out and backup is 5-7 minutes away. I could not, and would not, sit in the parking lot with my thumb up my *** waiting for additional units to arrive. I could not stand there at the end of the incident and watch bodies of children being carried out knowing that I could have done something to stop it, or at least make the body count lower.
                      ^^^^ + a lot. My backup's going to be around 10 minutes away. There's a chance that I can eliminate a threat(s) and save kids, I'm in. By myself if needed. If it's an active shooter, one kid dies on average every 10 seconds... The faster I go in, the better in my opinion.
                      "I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement."
                      -Calvin Coolidge

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unk

Comment

Here, a second officer is probably not more than a minute away, at most. If, however, for some reason you are the Lone Ranger, call out what you see, your entry point and move to the threat.

Comment

WE grab our rifle and go in...thats our job....yes, your penis will shrivel into your body, your heart will pump incredibly fast and your butthole will snap shut, (possibly after it evacuates its contents in the the lower GI), but you go in and prevent people, and more importantly CHILDREN, from dying......search and destroy
                          "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                          The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                          sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                          Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

crass cop.. you are to funny with your comment but 100% correct! except if you are a woman.. no penis will be shriviling into your body! haa! but for anyone who has done a active shooter scenerio.. ( i have )..... go in, eliminate the threat period! if it cost your life, you are doing what you signed up to do. if you don't go in and kill the threat.. you will have alot on your mind for the rest of your life of how many people could you have saved to how many people will be buried because you didn't. just joe is also right.. make sure you call out your location.. and then go in ( say a few prayers )and you make entry AND DESTROY YOUR THREAT!

Comment

The stats show that the majority of Active Shooters kill themselves when the the officer(s) start their attack on them, hence the change in tactics. Besides if the bad guy is shooting at you, he is not shooting the kids and teachers.

There has to be a change in mindset for the officer in this situation. We are trained to yell commands at the bad guy to get them to drop the weapon and become compliant for arrest. I dare say that in this type of situation it would be better to, if possible, remain covert until you see the bad guy, shoot him until the threat is gone.

I think that your answer was appropriate.
                              Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6064 users online. 302 members and 5762 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X