300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tunnel Vision

Clearly awareness is a crucial part of a Law Enforcement Officers job. I've been put into a couple situations with my loss prevention job that increases my stress and adrenaline. After the incident is over and I have a chance to review the video, I almost always see something that I didn't notice while making an apprehension. Not having situational awareness could be harmful to me or our guests in the store. It's weird that your body does the things that it does under stressful situations.

Do you guys/gals experience tunnel vision, or is it something that you learn to fix during training? It's weird because you can't just say, "lets go practice tunnel vision techniques.". It's definitely something that bugs me after the fact just realizing I couldn't control it.

What types of experiences do you have with this? Can you really train your body not to react that way?

Thanks

You can and do train as much as you can to help prevent and deal with tunnel vision. When poop hits the fan your body goes into survival mode and some things you may not be able to control or are very difficult to control, training helps a lot.

For instance, at the range I'll shoot the target a few times and then scan the rest of the area looking for more threats. The reason for doing this is because during a shooting you may have tunnel vision, but as long as you're moving your head and eyes you are still seeing "the big picture".... Hopefully, after doing this over and over again everytime you shoot your target, when and if the time comes you have to use your weapon, you will automatically scan the rest of the area because that's what you've done on the range for the last 5, 10, 15, 20 years.

Comment

Read "On Combat" by Lt. Col. David Grossman. Or just do some research on some of his information. Should steer you in the right direction.
      "I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement."
      -Calvin Coolidge

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unk

Comment

Originally posted by LPD003 View Post
        Read "On Combat" by Lt. Col. David Grossman. Or just do some research on some of his information. Should steer you in the right direction.
        +1, I can't believe I didn't mention that. ON COMBAT is A++ : )

Comment

It's a must for everyone in law enforcement. Our basic law enforcement academy was going to make it mandatory, until they realized it was going to cost some money for the books. I've been circulating my book to fellow officer's in the area, because they're too cheap to buy their own. Now that I think of it, I can't remember who has it. F
          "I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement."
          -Calvin Coolidge

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unk

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
            You can and do train as much as you can to help prevent and deal with tunnel vision. When poop hits the fan your body goes into survival mode and some things you may not be able to control or are very difficult to control, training helps a lot.

For instance, at the range I'll shoot the target a few times and then scan the rest of the area looking for more threats. The reason for doing this is because during a shooting you may have tunnel vision, but as long as you're moving your head and eyes you are still seeing "the big picture".... Hopefully, after doing this over and over again everytime you shoot your target, when and if the time comes you have to use your weapon, you will automatically scan the rest of the area because that's what you've done on the range for the last 5, 10, 15, 20 years.
            It's just so weird to think that you can practice like that and then fall back on your learnings when your put into an intense situation. To me it just seems that nothing can prepare you or your body for those real-life scenarios. But, I guess that's why you have to keep practicing.

Allen Iverson - "Practice, we're sitting here talking about practice? Not at game, not a game, but practice." haha that's a classic.

Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by LPD003 View Post
              I actually listened to a youtube clip with some things he was talking about. Very interesting. Thanks!

Comment

The best thing you can do is mentally prepare yourself for whatever, so that when it happens it's not a surprise. Tunnel vision comes from an adrenalin dump and it's nature's way of getting you to completely focus on the tiger that's about to eat you and forget about the bee on your arm. When you're mentally prepared you can ride the adrenalin instead of being victimized by it.

Comment

Originally posted by H00PDIE View Post
                  It's just so weird to think that you can practice like that and then fall back on your learnings when your put into an intense situation. To me it just seems that nothing can prepare you or your body for those real-life scenarios. But, I guess that's why you have to keep practicing.

Allen Iverson - "Practice, we're sitting here talking about practice? Not at game, not a game, but practice." haha that's a classic.

Thanks for your feedback.
                  "Train the way you'll fight and you'll fight the way you train."

Every little movement you make while training WILL be repeated in a real life situation. Back in the day, they used to find dead police officers with a hand full of empty brass. (Newhall Incident if you want to study up on it) That was because officers at the range used to dump their empty brass out of their revolvers into their hand so that they didn't have to pick it up after the training session. Another one that has been observed is officers in a deadly force situation would draw their sidearm, fire one round, and then re-holster automatically whether they hit the threat or not. They did this because for years, that was the standard on the firing line.
                  Originally posted by kontemplerande
                  Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Scan method for me as well. It was taught to us at the academy and it's a part of our biannual range qualification as well. Also, Simunition training is excellent for teaching yourself to bust out of tunnel vision. Even though it's only paint rounds, you still feel 80% of the fear and adrenaline.

Comment

Seriously?

If you need to read "On Combat" for a loss protection job you need to seek therapy.

Do you work at a store in Somalia?

Really...

M-11
                      “All men dream...... But not equally..
                      Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                      but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                      for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

heres idea.. to hopefully break sum tunnel vision.. constantley.. do scenerios all the time! with a partner, alone while u patrol.. the more you change the play of the could/would/if, u will have be more likely to see more around you! trust me on this idea.. it works and helps in situations!

Comment

The shoot then scan method is also a bad habit: officers will shot twice amd stop shooting to scan amd be ready to re holster. Regardless if the threat has stopped.

OP- you can enroll in a martial art school- during sparring you'll find you'll have terrible tunnel vision when in sparring session. After many months you'll learn to know your position and feel safe. I can roll with an opponent and watch others. That said tunnel vision still can occur if I'm gettingy asskicked. Takes years of repetitive stress to feel comfortable.

Breathing techniques help. Mental prep and telling yourself to asses and relax.
                          Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                            Seriously?

If you need to read "On Combat" for a loss protection job you need to seek therapy.

Do you work at a store in Somalia?

Really...

M-11
                            I simply suggested a book that has some very good information in it pertaining to the original post... I think all police officers should read it. Not necessarily all "Loss protection" people.
                            -Calvin Coolidge

Comment

to all cops or anyone who puts there life on the line in any field .... there is no book out there to teach you how to get out of tunnel vision.. the breathing method a good idea.. the constant checking yourself and your partner of the ' what if, what could, what would you do, how would you handle it.. this could help you prepare yourself when you are involved with a situation and tunnel vision happens.. Just be careful, be safe and always go home to your family & friends!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3618 users online. 197 members and 3421 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X