300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hats on duty

I just read on another forum somewhere and im not totally sure what to think. Here is the quote,

"
    Police MUST Wear Hats
    Samuel once again makes me laugh. So, I've dedicated myself to spreading the absolutely true knowledge that all police officers, deputy sheriffs, state troopers, etc., etc., ad nauseum, MUST ABSOLUTELY WEAR THEIR HATS at ALL times or any law enforcement actions they take ARE NOT VALID.

ATTENTION :ATTENTION :ATTENTION :ATTENTION :ATTENTION :ATTENTION

IF YOU RECEIVE ANY TICKETS OR ARE ARRESTED BY ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENT, AND THAT AGENT IS NOT WEARING HIS/HER APPROVED DEPARTMENT COVER, THAT TICKET OR ARREST IS RENDERED LEGALLY VOID.

IT IS 100% ACCEPTABLE AND APPROPRIATE TO APPEAR IN COURT AND USE THIS AS YOUR SOLE DEFENSE.

As you were.

If I post this in AAC or the completely worthwhile and necessary depot of knowledge AACJS, will I be in violation of the TOS I find myself restricted from accessing?
    real police.net/forums/off-topic-70/91706-police-must-wear-hats.html

(it wont let me post the site as a hyperlink so i guess you'll have to copy and paste, and you'll have to take the space out between real and police) sorry

I know the post was posted in 2004 and I was just wanting some feedback, is this true?? If so, does it vary from state to state?

EDIT: I read it again lol and now i catch the sarcasm lol (facepalm)
    Last edited by Al COPS; 03-26-2011, 11:04 PM.

Considering that there are agencies who have officers who don't have a uniform, much less a hat, I'd say it's bogus.
    Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Not sure if you noticed, but that post on the other website was sarcasm.

Comment

Originally posted by Al COPS View Post
        thought i had something legit but i guess not lol
        You guessed right!

Comment

That is a past truth. Years ago officers had to be in full uniform, including a hat, in order to represent their agency and authority; however, in about 1960, or thereabouts, all of that was thrown out the window as long as the officer displayed the uniform required by his/her agency and a badge, number or name in plain sight while enforcing the law. In short, if the agency requires a hat, it must be worn. If not, no violation. Most agencies have set rules when the hat, cap, helmet, etc., must be worn.
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

This guy's got his hat on, so he must be in charge.

Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
            Albert Einstein

Comment

No, that's not true. However, it's funny as heck when some kid shows up in court with some 'defense' like this they got off the internet.

Comment

Until 1986, Pennsylvania required that in order to enforce the Vehicle Code police officers must be in "full uniform" (by case law that included the uniform hat). The Rule of Criminal Procedure that now stands requires that the "officer be in uniform or display a badge or other sign of authority". This allowed even officers who are assigned to plain clothes duties to issue traffic citations. What was curious though was that even with several revisions to the state's DUI law the legislature failed to pick up on the fact that a provision in that section of the Vehicle Code limited DUI enforcement to uniformed officers. That wasn't remedied until 2004. So California tossed the hat requirement around 1960, Pennsylvania waited 25 or so years to catch up. Does anyone know of any other states that were even slower to lose the ridiculous provision?
                Last edited by PABear31; 03-25-2011, 12:46 PM.
                When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Comment

Man...some of these other states are craaaaazy.
                  For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

There is no law in California that requires that officers wear their hats, and I don't think that any agencies are left that require it, either. And guess what? Officers are also allowed to park in the center divide on a freeway with their lights off when they run radar, and they don't have to show the readout to you, either.
                    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

My first Chief was a stickler for hats. He once stopped by a collision scene, pointed to an uncovered sergeant, and told a newspaper photographer, "Take a picture of that patrolman without his hat."

Comment

Most of the departments in oklahoma have their own SOP's for uniform. If a department's SOP requires a hat then the officer has to wear it. My department it is optional. We are allowed by SOP's to wear headgear approved by the Chief. Wether it is a ballcap with the PD logo or the Campain style hats. But our policy states hats are optional. And in the 10 years i've been in law enforcement I have never seen anything in our state statutes that says that an officer must wear headgear.

Comment

Wow, I thought it was a spoof lol. Come to find out it use to really be true, thanks for all the replies and info !!!

Comment

At my old dept, campaign hats were to be worn on traffic stops, wrecks, funerals, school zones, parades etc (pretty much anything with traffic and/ or a lot of people being able to see you for an extended period). They were nice to have when it was raining and I actually kind of liked wearing it on traffic stops, but the rest of the time it was a hassle. When I worked nights, I wouldn't wear it after midnight and never once had someone question if I still had authority without it on. My new dept doesn't issue hats but, if they did, it would most likely be up to the officer (the chief is real good about listening to the officers and putting our safety in front of formality and politics).
                            Originally posted by Ceridwen
                            Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Hats suck! period! they are always in the way! yes, makes u look professional, but id like to take my hat & my tie right threw a shredder!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6326 users online. 344 members and 5982 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X