Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you do it?

Hey guys,

I've been watching videos, reading articles, reading people's responses to videos and articles, and I have to ask all of you, how do you do it??? How do you deal with these people? What do you do to get into a normal state of mind/life when so many people have so many bad things to say about law enforcement? What do you do to control your emotions, stay positive, and continue to help people that treat you like crap? Do you get enough good reactions from people to make up for the idiots, or is the negative clearly heavier? I don't mean to ramble, I'm just shocked and impressed that more officers aren't losing their minds and quitting because so many people don't deserve your efforts. So again I ask, how do you deal with the fact that you're putting your life on the line for people who say and do such terrible things?

God bless ya

The good we do out weighs the bad we receive. There is not another job in the world where you can kick in a child predators door and drag him from his home weeping like a little girl. There is some satisfaction in that.
    This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

On a serious note, unhealthy addictions and officer suicides are all-too-common. I imagine that the "bad things" you brought up play some kind of role in these, though there's obviously much more at play in many cases.

Having things to do outside of work, and having non-cop friends in addition to the bros I work with keep me quasi-sane.
      Last edited by Resq14; 03-23-2011, 12:21 AM.
      All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

There are people who appreciate what we do. However, I don't know of many officers that got into this career for people to like them or to make friends. Most of us get into LE knowing that people are going to hate us just because we are in the profession. When I am off-duty people don't USUALLY hate me for no reason. If we wanted to make friends and get the adoring public we would all become hose monkeys....I mean firefighters.

Comment

we have a warped sense of humor. i would laugh it off because they are idiots.

Comment

The public don't bother me at all. They are just plain stupid. It's the self serving nut suckers in the chain of command that will take you out mentally if you aren't careful.

Comment

Cynicism and dark humor help. Venting with friends off duty, that sort of thing. It does take a mental toll, though, and it will forever change the way you look at your fellow man.
              I miss you, Dave.
              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                Cynicism and dark humor help. Venting with friends off duty, that sort of thing. It does take a mental toll, though, and it will forever change the way you look at your fellow man.
                Just what he said. +10000000000000000000
                Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                  Amen.............short and to the point!
                  This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Sex, drugs and rock and roll!
                    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

I just drink my problems away every night.

Comment

I usually just laugh it off(out of view and back in the vehicle). I've realized that it is not me that they are upset with or hate most of the time. It is the badge and uniform, what I stand for, that they do not like. No one likes to be told what they can and cannot do in our society. I always remember when the SHTF in their life they will be calling me for help. Deep down they know we are needed and are thankful(when they need us, at least that is what I tell myself). If you take the job personally and what people say, you are going to be miserable, have lots of stress and probably have a heart attack young. It also helps to have an activity off duty that helps you blow off steam. Mine is hiking/backpacking. Able to get away from people for multiple days at a time and forgot about everything else for just a little bit.

Comment

You just have to let it go in one ear and out the other. I believe most everyone knows that law enforcement serves a major purpose, even if they don't like it when its dealing with them. Imagine a world without cops... enough said(I think)

And occasionally, you stumble across something like the below two links which is always nice:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53YVc...eature=feedlik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEvZB...eature=feedlik
                          sigpic
                          Any and all statements made by this account represent my sole opinion and do not reflect an official opinion, belief, or policy of any department or agency to which I am employed by. Further, I am in no way authorized to speak on behalf of any department or agency.

Comment

The way I see it is a good support channel. Either a fellow officer or someone you can just talk to. I HAD the problem a few years back when I let my work get the better of me. I ended up taking it out on my family. I only realized this when my wife told me "resign or I'm leaving your arse". So I got out for about a year. I didn't know that I had a good support channel through my PD and my church. Now I'm back working for the same PD I left and am doing great. Sometimes your faith is tested but always know that there are co-workers and family that are there for you.

Comment

I've had a handful of situations since being a cop that have made the job worthwhile. I'll post one (of more than a few I've encountered) to serve as an example of why I've decided this is the career I want to retire from:

I was working for my first department, a county SO, and we were working security at a NASCAR race track. The hours sucked, it was hot and muggy, and folks left and right were not only intoxicated but acting like juvenile @$$es who were being arrested left and right. The sun was scorching, the air was filled with gasoline fumes and dust kicked up from the cars... in a word it was miserable.

After being there for several hours two old women (one in her 80's and one in her 60's) walked up to me and asked if I could speak to them. This is after I had not only helped break up several physical altercations, but had been spat on by a couple of spectators and had really had "enough" that day. I approached the two ladies with a "what now" mentality, but was professional and polite with their request. The lady in her 60's said, "My husband husband, whom I've been married to for over 40 years, just passed away. He loved NASCAR and came to every race. His dying wish was to have his ashes spread across this track, would you mind if I released his ashes on the track?" Now you have to realize this was just a few years after 9/11 and the vial she showed me of the "ashes" looked like a vial of anthrax (white powder), but I could see the sincere look in her eyes, as well as the other elderly lady with her, and realized I needed to let her honor her husband's last wishes.

I allowed her to step down to the fence separating the stands from the track (where I was walking) and as the cars whizzed by she released the ashes into the air. I caught eyes with her as she began to cry and said good-bye to her husband one last time.

That moment has stuck with me all the years since, and remains a reminder of why I got into this job: to help others and do something for the better of my community. LEO's face a lot of terrible, even horrific situations that can absolutely haunt the soul, it's inevitable if you work in this field long enough. However, there's a good amount of positive interactions you have with the community that even out the negative if you're willing to be that person that wants to help those that truly need it.
                              sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4212 users online. 223 members and 3989 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X