Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing Duty Firearm(s)

Greetings officers,

I have always wondered if departments and agencies give you the option to choose your own firearm(s) to carry/have at hand on-duty. What I mean by this is they would offer for you to either have the department-issued firearms on-duty (say a 9mm Glock), or you can buy/bring your own personal firearm(s) to use on-duty (say a .38 six-shooter). I know it's not a huge deal to many and it really wouldn't be to me either because I know they teach you how to shoot semi-auto handguns in the academy/training, but I am still curious. If they differ from department to department, I would be interested in hearing how your department works.

Thanks for your time!
    Pursuing the dream.

Awaiting the start of Academy... April 28th.

We have issued duty weapons and a list of criteria for off duty weapons. You will find a number of depts (probably all of which would be considered smaller depts) that expect their officers to purchase their own duty weapon. They generally (hopefully always) also have criteria relating to caliber, barrel length, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
      We have issued duty weapons and a list of criteria for off duty weapons. You will find a number of depts (probably all of which would be considered smaller depts) that expect their officers to purchase their own duty weapon. They generally (hopefully always) also have criteria relating to caliber, barrel length, etc.
      +1
      We have issued but can carry our own if they meet specific guidelines

Comment

Thanks for your information, men. Does that apply to all firearms - handguns, shotguns and rifles? I know some departments carry only a handgun, but some carry all three in their vehicles. Do they allow revolvers in your criteria? I inquire so much about them just because I love 'em and have always shot them.
        Pursuing the dream.

Awaiting the start of Academy... April 28th.

Comment

Originally posted by jjbledsoe View Post
          Greetings officers,

I have always wondered if departments and agencies give you the option to choose your own firearm(s) to carry/have at hand on-duty. What I mean by this is they would offer for you to either have the department-issued firearms on-duty (say a 9mm Glock), or you can buy/bring your own personal firearm(s) to use on-duty (say a .38 six-shooter). I know it's not a huge deal to many and it really wouldn't be to me either because I know they teach you how to shoot semi-auto handguns in the academy/training, but I am still curious. If they differ from department to department, I would be interested in hearing how your department works.

Thanks for your time!
          You are going to get about as many different answers as there are agencies for this question.

For us, we are issued one specific handgun (currently the Beretta 92...that is probably going to change to the SW M&P sometime in the future when we start hiring again); you are also allowed to choose from a very small list of other approved handguns for duty use. We are also restricted in what we allowed to carry off duty and/or as a BUG. We are very restricted in our ammo choice....notice I said 'choice' and not 'choices'.

Long guns are issue only....personally owned shotguns/rifles are specifically prohibited for duty use.
          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
            ....personally owned shotguns/rifles are specifically prohibited for duty use.
            Not to hijack his thread but have they provided you with a reason why?
            This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

We are issued Glocks and we carry our own rifles. Departments normally can't afford to purchase long guns for everyone.
              This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

Comment

Originally posted by ummone View Post
                Not to hijack his thread but have they provided you with a reason why?
                Other than 'because'?

Most of our duty shotguns are Rem 870s with 14" barrels....which require a NFA stamp....which you will NOT get as a private individual (LEO or not) here in CA.....never mind that pesky AW ban here in CA as well....which also applies to individual LEOs as well
                The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                  Other than 'because'?

Most of our duty shotguns are Rem 870s with 14" barrels....which require a NFA stamp....which you will NOT get as a private individual (LEO or not) here in CA.....never mind that pesky AW ban here in CA as well....which also applies to individual LEOs as well
                  That just sux!

Comment

Originally posted by ummone View Post
                    We are issued Glocks and we carry our own rifles. Departments normally can't afford to purchase long guns for everyone.
                    And if we have a stamp we can carry our own SBR or a door opener. The weapon must be approved by the chief.

Comment

Duty pistol: Issued, no choice. 2 different Glocks, depending on assignment.
                      Shotgun: Issued, but can carry a personal. Must be a Remington 870 12g pump
                      Rifle: Issued, but can carry personal. Approved list of 5 brands of AR, must be .223
                      Backup: Not issued, lengthy list of approved brands, calibers. No single actions (1911, Hi Standard, etc).
                      I miss you, Dave.
                      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

As others have said, depends on the department.

My part time department has a pretty open policy. Basically subject to Chief approval, out of a 9 officers there are six Glock 22s, one Glock 21, one Glock 23 and a Spingfield .40

My full time department issues a Glock 23, but allows you to purchase a Glock 22 if you wish. Also one guy carries a S&W 5906, he was grandfathered in as that was our previous issue handgun in the 90s.

Comment

My department issues the 9mm Glock. Most folks upgrade to a personal .40 or .45 Glock. We can carry our own Shotty's or Rifles if we qualify with them. The department does issue Shotty's and Rifles too. I prefer my own rifle...
                          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence...sigpic

Comment

There are several city departments in the county that I work that issue M&P's, but the officer can qualify with most any pistol to carry.
                            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence...sigpic

Comment

Issued Glock 23,no choice unless your the Chief, then carry what you choose. Shotguns are issued, Rifles and Sub Guns issued to entry team members. Backups rules are liberal. Anything .380 and up to 45. Must be approved by the Range Master.
                              Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4204 users online. 206 members and 3998 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X