300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's time, should I go for it?

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for being such a great community and you have been a huge help for information. Well, I graduate this August and have two paths I can take so I could use your guys opinions on what I should do.

Here is a rundown where I am at:
    Graduating from one of the hardest schools in Michigan with a B.S. degree.
    No illegal drug usage.
    Volunteered for Big Brother/Big Sister Organization.
    Volunteered for a Inner-City middle-school mentoring students.
    No Criminal history.
    Working currently for a loan chain company as a assistant manger with accounting/paper work.
    Work out at least 5 days a week and I'm in perfect shape.
    No medical disorders.

The negative is my driving record. I've done my best to never go over 5mph from the speed limit and try to remain a safe driver. Sadly I've received two tickets that were somewhat out of my control over the past 4 years. Both tickets are called in Michigan "Basic Speed Law Violations".
    Both are two point tickets, one I received 4 years ago and one I received last year.
    I use to live in a country house with friends which apparently was not the best idea in Michigan. After driving back in a blizzard my car slid into a tree. I was driving way under the posted speed limit and even had witnesses who were saw the accident who told the officer I was driving at a very safe speed but just saw my car start so slide and he lost control. The officer then explained it didn't matter and that the sheriff was pushing there butts to give out tickets for anyone who gets in a natural accident. After thinking this was bs, my roommate had the same thing happen to him in the same spot I got in my accident and he also received a basic speed law violation ticket.
    Second ticket was pretty much the same situation, even though driving at least 10-15mph under the posted speed limit, I hit some black ice that also made me lose control of my vehicle on the high way.

So now onto my two paths that I have decided to go after I graduate this summer...
    First one is to go ahead and start apply for Departments. Some of the departments I was considering were in larger cities such as San Jose or Santa Cruz, California. Also I had a few larger East Coast cities I wished to apply for.

Second path is join the Coast Guard as enlisted then after 4 or so years start applying for police departments after my driving record has cleared up.

So pretty much I guess the main question I have is, do you believe that because of my two tickets that it will be almost impossible for me to go into any police department at the moment?

Thank you so much guys for the help, always appreciated.
    -Chad

You need to check each departments minimum quaifications and/or call the recruitment office and ask. Some departments require a certain amount of time to pass from the last moving violation.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
      The negative is my driving record. I've done my best to never go over 5mph from the speed limit and try to remain a safe driver. Sadly I've received two tickets that were somewhat out of my control over the past 4 years. Both tickets are called in Michigan "Basic Speed Law Violations".
      Both are two point tickets, one I received 4 years ago and one I received last year.

I use to live in a country house with friends which apparently was not the best idea in Michigan. After driving back in a blizzard my car slid into a tree. I was driving way under the posted speed limit and even had witnesses who were saw the accident who told the officer I was driving at a very safe speed but just saw my car start so slide and he lost control. The officer then explained it didn't matter and that the sheriff was pushing there butts to give out tickets for anyone who gets in a natural accident. After thinking this was bs, my roommate had the same thing happen to him in the same spot I got in my accident and he also received a basic speed law violation ticket.

Second ticket was pretty much the same situation, even though driving at least 10-15mph under the posted speed limit, I hit some black ice that also made me lose control of my vehicle on the high way.
      The bottom line is that in both situations by definition you were going too fast for the road conditions ----otherwise you would have been able to keep your vehicle under control. Thus you violated the statute.
      Do not minimize your fault in these circumstances-----doing so leads recruiters, background investigators and police administrators to question your ability to take responsibility for your actions.

As far as your two options ---only you can decide what is best for you --------I doubt that the 2 citations will be of much trouble---------as long as you take responsibility.. Then again I am not a decision maker for any of the departments you are looking to apply at. Your mileage may vary depending on their requirements.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Chad, on the assumption that you're seeking honest replies, and won't get upset when you receive them, I offer you this. My colleague (Iowa) has covered the circumstances under which you were cited quite well. I see neither citation as a "killer" with regard to your being hired as an Officer, although your latest citation might be a little too recent for some agencies. Time is your ally here. OK, here's what's going to torpedo you, unless you ditch it now. That is your attempting to minimize, rationalize, and make excuses for the traffic violation you were cited for.....twice. You screwed up. You own the mistakes. Own up to them, admit them, as in accept responsibility for them, move on. One more thought. Your "positives" are both impressive and commendable. However, do not make the mistake of assuming that all those good efforts will mitigate or offset a screw up, or series of them. Again, I don't view the citations as "killers", provided YOU don't allow them to be. Keep your nose clean, and best of luck in your efforts.

Comment

I take no offense from Iowa or you Cal. I really don't want anyone to sugarcoat it so I appreciate honest responses. I guess now that I read over my post, I can see how it came off as a little whiny and that I think i'm not to blame at all. I guess I still just hold a little frustration after how hard i've to keep a squeaky clean backup to have those two incidents occurred. I'm definitely not saying the fault wasn't mine at all, I could of always drove slower.

Comment

Last edited by protein cop; 11-17-2011, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks protein, I see that now on there website. Pretty disappointing, but I guess that gives me more reason to enlist then hope in 4 years the PD job market will be a little better. Are a lot of California agencies still not hiring? Thought it was getting better.

Comment

This was going to be my response as well:
                Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                Do not minimize your fault in these circumstances-----doing so leads recruiters, background investigators and police administrators to question your ability to take responsibility for your actions.
                But then I read this:

I take no offense from Iowa or you Cal. I really don't want anyone to sugarcoat it so I appreciate honest responses. I guess now that I read over my post, I can see how it came off as a little whiny and that I think i'm not to blame at all. I guess I still just hold a little frustration after how hard i've to keep a squeaky clean backup to have those two incidents occurred. I'm definitely not saying the fault wasn't mine at all, I could of always drove slower.
                In the end you made two relatively minor mistakes. Those mistakes should not keep you out of the running unless you try to minimize or deflect them. In simple, unsugar-coated terms, man up about them and everything will be fine.

If serving in the Coast Guard is something that you really want to do and might regret later if you don't, then I say go for it. (As a side note: Don't enlist just because you want to pad your resume. Enlist because you want to serve.) Right now, many departments, as you're learning, aren't hiring. Some are even laying people off. Odds are the market will turn around some in four years.

With a B.S. degree, have you considered taking the officer route?
                Originally posted by kontemplerande
                Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

What is your major in? Have you considered OCS?

Comment

Thanks guys for added responses. I will definitely take the advice of just manning up to the mistakes.
                    My degree is in Hospitality and Tourism Management with a minor in C.J., I was originally a C.J. minor but after the feedback from the forums I decided to use HTM as a backup career just incase things don't work out.
                    With my major thought I feel it would be almost impossible to get into the CG under OCS. I have considered looking into other branches for OCS though. Would you guys suggest I try for OCS over enlisted? I was thinking Army Warrant Officer Aviation even if anyone has experience with that.

Comment

With my major thought I feel it would be almost impossible to get into the CG under OCS. I have considered looking into other branches for OCS though. Would you guys suggest I try for OCS over enlisted?
                      I can't speak for the Coast Guard specifically because I have no direct experience with them, but I did go through OCS for the Army. As far as the Army is concerned, your degree could be in underwater basket weaving and they'd take you. Especially right now. The Army will train you to the standard of your branch so your prior education is of little concern. OCS will give you tons of leadership training, but being an officer isn't all that its cracked up to be either. You'll get good pay and benefits, but you'll also end up doing a lot of staff work which can suck. Its all in what you put into it.

I was thinking Army Warrant Officer Aviation even if anyone has experience with that.
                      This is definitely worth looking into. The Army is desperate for pilots and its a great position to hold. The training program is long and intense but worth it in the long run.
                      Originally posted by kontemplerande
                      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Just my two cents, OCS over enlisted for sure. And just to let you know, Texas Department of Public Safety is looking for a few good people!

Be Safe.
                        LIVING TO LAUGH

NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT TODAY, NOTHING NEW, IT'S JUST WHAT WE DO

Comment

Last edited by Aerohead; 03-25-2011, 08:21 AM.
                          Originally posted by RSGSRT
                          We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                          Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Crap. Just saw this was Ask a Cop and not Military LE. My mistake.
                            Last edited by jlink38; 03-22-2011, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Jlink you can send me a private message if you like if you have any information. To woodrow, SRT and Aero, you all seem to have military experience so kind of have a random question for you. Are there any benefits to Warrant Officer over commissioned officer? It seems pay is about the same. Only benefit of warrant I could see going with Warrant would be the fact that I would have an excuse to get away from a desk once in awhile.

Also woodrow would you mind if I PM'd you about information on Texas Police Departments?

Thanks again guys.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4597 users online. 257 members and 4340 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X