300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citing FBI Agents

Have you officers ever pulled over an FBI agent and cited them, or is it an unspoken rule that you don't cite ANY LE for minor infractions?
    “Life takes on meaning when you become motivated, set goals, and charge after them in an unstoppable manner”

I never pulled over a FBI agent when I worked patrol, but I've known of one being pulled over and given a ticket. FBI doesn't have the best reputation among the law enforcement community, so I could see it happening with others.
    sigpic

Comment

Search for threads titled "professional courtesy" as this has been discussed numerous times. These threads will talk about FBI, ICE, ATF, local police, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro View Post
        Have you officers ever pulled over an FBI agent and cited them, or is it an unspoken rule that you don't cite ANY LE for minor infractions?
        I pulled over an FBI agent in his G car. He was one of two similar vehicles traveling at a high rate of speed with out of state plates.

First, he was very polite. He pulled over immediately. He didn't claim to be "FBI agent", but immediately told me he was a federal law enforcement officer. He told me where his firearm was. He didn't ask for any special treatment or imply that he shouldn't be cited. Once I saw his credentials I told him to be safe and have a nice day. It was obvious that he was working even though it was late at night.

It's not a "rule" not to cite other LE. It's common sense. Tying me up at a traffic stop for a citation and tying him up at a traffic stop takes two law enforcement officers off the street for the duration. That doesn't serve the public. The shorter I can make those stops, the better it is. That's the only criteria I use and it applies to a number of situations/occupations, not just LE.
        "Did that hurt? It looked like it hurt"

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
          Search for threads titled "professional courtesy" as this has been discussed numerous times. These threads will talk about FBI, ICE, ATF, local police, etc.
          + 1

Comment

Originally posted by MG108 View Post
            I pulled over an FBI agent in his G car... he was very polite.
            Sounds like one of the few that was a local/state cop before going to the Bureau.
            sigpic

Comment

I've stopped them 3 times. They always had a good reason for what they were doing and were in their little FBI-mobiles, so no cites.
              I miss you, Dave.
              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I will never, have never, write a fellow cop. Don't like it? I don't care.

Comment

Good GRIEF. Stop this thread before it goes all wonky. Use the search function, Camaro.
                  sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
                    I will never, have never, write a fellow cop. Don't like it? I don't care.
                    I've stopped LOTs of officers . I've also been stopped a lot of times. Without going into much detail I will say this. As an officer you DON'T want the reputation of writing other officers tickets. It sucks when no one will come back you up.

Now if an officer is DWI or beating his old lady.....well he don't need to be an officer. And hell, I'd arrest the Governor for DWI. I look at it like this. I stop a lot of dirt bags. I also give lots of dirt bags a lot of warnings. I give dirt bags warnings all the time for suspended license, speeding, etc. So why not cut another officer a break? You do this job for any length of time, and it makes sense.

{/thread}

Comment

I don't remember ever pulling an FBI agent. Would I write them a ticket? There are certain scenarios where I would. My goal on any traffic stop is to positivly alter the drivers future driving behavior. If I pulled over someone for going 90 in a 60 with no good reason. Then the driver starts shoving their credentials in my face, throwing out peoples names, and verbally trying to intemidate or belittle me to get out of a ticket.... I would likely give them a citation instead of any type of 'warning'.
                      Last edited by DeputySC; 03-21-2011, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                        Good GRIEF. Stop this thread before it goes all wonky. Use the search function, Camaro.
                        He can't Smurf, I "marginalized" him.

Comment

Here it is from the "other side": I was a Fed, and believe it or not, I only exceeded the speed limit when it was job related. For example, on one occasion I had a pilot, alone in an aircraft, landing behind a suspect smuggler at a small airport 45 miles away. We called the local PD, they were all at a fight with guns. Called CHP, they were backing up the locals. Did I speed to try to help the pilot? You bet. When a local from another town lit me up, I simply got on the radio and had out 'dispatch' call his dispatch - he faded away. (It all turned out OK.)
                          And I taught our folks to be polite, accept the ticket if issued, and it was handled at a much higher level if job related. If not, our guys & gals could get days on the beach, and/or required to apologize to the PD.
                          We are all in this together!
                          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                          John Stuart Mill

Comment

I don't always write normal everyday human beings for minor traffic violations so why would I write a fellow LEO

Comment

I don't know about the FBI but never cite the MIB
                              Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4912 users online. 294 members and 4618 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X