300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a few questions

I had COPS on this afternoon and heard a few things I didn't understand so I thought I would ask for some clarification. An officer asked a guy who had drugs on him if he snorted them or slammed them. I've never heard the term slamming before, what is that? Another officer asked if a guy "was on paper", what does that mean?

There was one whole episode on "Bad Girls", the officers all called female officers to search the girls. Is that the norm? When I was searched during the whole needle drama a male officer searched me, not that I cared one way or the other but I was wondering if in some places male officers are not allowed to search females.

Before the trooper searched me he said something to the older trooper that arrived and although I don't remember exactly what was said, I do know the older trooper said something about fishing and grinned at the younger trooper. I do know the trooper was nervous as hell, he was so young looking and when he explained that he had to search me, I said "okay" and then he takes his two index fingers and swirls them in front of my boobs and tells me he has to search "there", I told him I understood. He gets me in position, hands on the back of my head, he is holding my fingers while standing behind me and he bends me back a bit, then says "just relax" as he starts this weird hand thing. I don't know how to describe it other then to call it a karate chop hand...flat and straight, very flat. He holds his hand out and I notice he is shaking as much as I am, we are a quivering mess. He goes in first with the karate hand between the boobs, chop and saw motion, and then quickly pulls it out and asks "what's that", I ask "what's what", trooper says "that" and pushes his karate hand back between my boobs, and I say "oh, that's a front hook bra". It was like a bad comedy act. The older trooper was grinning, I think he would have LOL if he wasn't so professional. The search continued, karate chop, sawing motions all around and over the boobs. I bet the young trooper got in his car after the stop was over and texted his friends "Ewwwwww, tonight I had to search 43 yr old boobs"...lol. But on to the questions about searching females, how do male officers train for that? Do they call in female volunteers? Do you practice on your wife or girlfriend? Is it all on-the-job training?

Thanks.
    When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

"On paper" means that someone has been convicted of a crime such as: "Are you on paper for anything drug related?"

Out where I work the closest thing even resembling authority is 20 minutes away and 90% of the time there is not a female on duty. Therefore if I have to patdown or search a female, it will be done front of the dash cam. We also call out our mileage if transporting with the interior camera on.
    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

1. Slamming means using needle drugs

2. On paper typically means on probation or parole around here

3. It depends on the department on whether or not a male searches a female. We don't really have a policy on the issue, so some officers will wait for a same sex officer and some won't. Personally I was taught in the academy to search everyone myself and my first police job was in a tiny rural town where a female officer might be 30+ minutes away.... So even in the city now, I just search females myself and it is always in front of a camera. Some females take issue with it, most don't have problem with it...... and a rare minority will start lifting up their shirt without any prompting from the officers.

4. Training for searching boobs typically occurs in the academy. Our poor female cadets had to get searched repeatedly (though they also had to practice searching male regions), the male cadets were more afraid of it than the females. The karate chop thing you described is pretty universal. It allows an officer to feel the boob, but not "grab it" in an effort to make the whole thing more clinical. Basically it looks better on camera.
      Last edited by Dingo990; 03-20-2011, 04:59 AM.

Comment

"Slamming" usually means injecting the drugs with a needle...

It's always better to have a female officer search a female who is being detained. The female officer can perform a more thorough pat down search, and it usually reduces chances of a sexual based complaint on the officers involved in the detention/search/arrest. I have the "luxury" of working on a large department where there is usually a female deputy working at any given moment and can come assist me by searching another female.

The "blade" of the hand technique was taught at the academy 20 odd years ago when I went through, and I'm sure it is still taught around the country. This is the searching technique you described above.

As to practicing...Well, umm, er, uhh....
        Last edited by EMVAMPYRE; 03-20-2011, 05:05 AM.
        Carpe Noctem

Comment

I don't even "search" a female. Usually their clothes fit to where I can rub my hand down the side of her pocket (front or back) with the side of my hand and I can tell if there's something in it. And I'm more concerned with a weapon than anything else.

Once at the jail if I arrest them we will get a female jailer or a female from records to come search her in the bathroom.

Comment

If a female officer is nearby, she does the search. If I have to search, it is a mix of visual search of the waistline with her shirt pulled up a bit and using the back of my hand in non-sensitive areas. I will also use the shaft of my flashlight to keep my hand off of other areas.

Comment

We don't have a policy for searching females since we only have male officers here and the nearest female officers usually are either an hour away or not available at all. Like others have mentioned the hand "blade" is what male officers commonly use when searching a female suspect in order to mitigate claims of groping.

Add: the younger Trooper probably asked the older trooper to witness his search of you since it was a male on female search. The older troopers comment about fishing is nothing more than a cop humor that doesn't concern you...it is not addressed specifically to you.
              Last edited by mikeymedic; 03-20-2011, 12:22 PM. Reason: to add

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. I like to think I am "worldly", hip, withit, etc, but I'm not. The only experience I had with the police was the occasional speeding ticket or two, or three (damn that lovely '83 Monte Carlo I drove years ago). I had never considered female cadets to practice on, or that police cars had interior cameras in them. Heck, I never even thought about female officers searching males. I know nothing about police work or what you all do on a daily basis.

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
                The older troopers comment about fishing is nothing more than a cop humor that doesn't concern you...it is not addressed specifically to you.
                I took it as humor at the time, I just don't remember what he said exactly. I was just glad I had showered and worn deodorant. I bet you all smell some nasty people. I don't think I could do what you do. In fact, I know I couldn't.

Thank you for doing what you do.
                When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Comment

Originally posted by TeachMe View Post
                  Thanks everyone for your replies. I like to think I am "worldly", hip, withit, etc, but I'm not.
                  Try urbandictionary.com. It is helpful when you come across slang you aren't familiar with. Completely unrelated, I was shopping for a new pair of shoes and I saw that Nike makes a pair of shoes called the Nike Skeet. Look that one up on urbandictionary.
                  "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

Some of the men here are asking to be killed by a female. Don't search them because their women? I don't understand it and hope I don't have to go to an Officer's funeral because they didn't find the weapon on a woman.

Teach, the technique you described is common for men searching women and is still (I think) taught in the academy. As a woman, I get a bit more personal. I get called quite a bit to come search the females my guys have arrested, which gets beyond annoying sometimes. You catch it, you clean it. I'm not going to drop everything I'm doing because they're scared of some lawsuit. Get a second male or put her in front of the camera. I don't call a male Officer everytime I arrest a man. Sounds like your Trooper was new and worried about searching you....not because you might have a weapon, but because you have breasts. Silly men.
                    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Smurf, you said it.... you catch it, you clean it.. that is what the older trooper told the younger one. I couldn't remember exactly what he said, I just knew it was something to do with fishing...lol.

Boobs make all men silly, I think it's in their DNA.

Comment

We often don't have females working, so I always have a witness and have the subject stand in front of my dash cam. I also normally over exagerate my motions, meaning I show my "karate chop" hand to the camera and conduct my search rapidly. If I am going to the station to process they get the full treatment. If I am going straight to the jail I do a thorough search for weapons then a more complete full body search is conducted at the jail.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                          Some of the men here are asking to be killed by a female. Don't search them because their women? I don't understand it and hope I don't have to go to an Officer's funeral because they didn't find the weapon on a woman.

Teach, the technique you described is common for men searching women and is still (I think) taught in the academy. As a woman, I get a bit more personal. I get called quite a bit to come search the females my guys have arrested, which gets beyond annoying sometimes. You catch it, you clean it. I'm not going to drop everything I'm doing because they're scared of some lawsuit. Get a second male or put her in front of the camera. I don't call a male Officer everytime I arrest a man. Sounds like your Trooper was new and worried about searching you....not because you might have a weapon, but because you have breasts. Silly men.
                          I totally understand that it must get annoying to get called all the time to search females on male coworkers scenes, but in my dept its policy. I bet that must get REALLY old for my female colleagues.

Comment

My Dept too Smurf....we have to ask for a female Officer if one is available to search what we can't, (pockets, bra area)...I still do a quick search of the waist line, legs and arms for weapons and once at the jail let them know that a complete search wasn't done and have one of the gals do it there.

Comment

Get to the jail without a complete search...better you then me. There is no way in HELL I am going to let anyone sit behind me without a complete and thorough search. If I need to search a female, then so be it. I search anywhere a weapon could be. Mitigate the possibly of a lawsuit by using the techniques described..but if you are scared to search, then you might not go home at the end of the shift when the female pulls handcuff key out of here bra, or a knife, or a little .25 because you were scared to touch boobies.

There is a ton of case law on the matter and it supports the officer unless there is obvious groping or some other act inconsistent with a lawful search.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3600 users online. 191 members and 3409 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X