Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting Qualifications

Hello all,

I had a few questions. I'll start off in advance by saying I know that most or all states, jurisdictions, local areas, etc have different requirements and rules. I am looking for advice on different ways to practice for shooting qualifications. I know for certain the longest shot for handgun qual in either of the three departments I have a chance of being hired by is 25 yards. Advice on where to start(what range), how many rounds should I fire in each practice qualification, what stance(ie: standing, kneeling, prone), what the average percent most departments look for, how each hit is actually scored, or any other advice that might help me. I know that one of the departments requires 85% to qualify which was a recent change from like 7x%.

Thanks in adcance for any advice or information,
    Jake

You will learn everything you need to know about shooting in the academy. If you don't already know how to CORRECTLY shoot then don't try to teach yourself, all you will do is pick up bad habits which will make things much harder for you when you are taught by someone who actually knows what they are doing.

Qualification is easy, DO NOT STRESS ABOUT IT. I remember people in my acadmey who never touched a gun in their lives...after a few hours of instruction from an excellent teacher they were right on the mark. Hell, I taught my wife how to shoot in 1 hour. She hated guns, never even shot a BB gun.... she was a crack shot within a couple of hours.

After you are CORRECTLY taught how to shoot, it will then just be about practice. To be an excellent shot it takes a lot, a lot of practice. Again, don't even bother trying to shoot without being taught how to do it... You will have plenty of time in the academy, trust me. Shooting is the least of your worries.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
      You will learn everything you need to know about shooting in the academy. If you don't already know how to CORRECTLY shoot then don't try to teach yourself, all you will do is pick up bad habits which will make things much harder for you when you are taught by someone who actually knows what they are doing.

Qualification is easy, DO NOT STRESS ABOUT IT. I remember people in my acadmey who never touched a gun in their lives...after a few hours of instruction from an excellent teacher they were right on the mark. Hell, I taught my wife how to shoot in 1 hour. She hated guns, never even shot a BB gun.... she was a crack shot within a couple of hours.

After you are CORRECTLY taught how to shoot, it will then just be about practice. To be an excellent shot it takes a lot, a lot of practice. Again, don't even bother trying to shoot without being taught how to do it... You will have plenty of time in the academy, trust me. Shooting is the least of your worries.

+1 in a nutshell.

Strong hand...weak hand you'll learn it.
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake81 View Post
        Hello all,

I had a few questions. I'll start off in advance by saying I know that most or all states, jurisdictions, local areas, etc have different requirements and rules. I am looking for advice on different ways to practice for shooting qualifications. I know for certain the longest shot for handgun qual in either of the three departments I have a chance of being hired by is 25 yards. Advice on where to start(what range), how many rounds should I fire in each practice qualification, what stance(ie: standing, kneeling, prone), what the average percent most departments look for, how each hit is actually scored, or any other advice that might help me. I know that one of the departments requires 85% to qualify which was a recent change from like 7x%.

Thanks in adcance for any advice or information,
        Jake
        Not sure about Tennessee, but I am pretty sure the firearm qualification here in SC is the same no matter what agency/jurisdiction you work for. Also, it is crazy easy to qualify.

Comment

In Alabama, the firing course and qualifying score is mandated by Alabama POST. It is the same for all agencies at state, county, and municipal levels. That said, I wouldn't worry too much about shooting at present. You'll put plenty of rounds down range at the Academy.

Comment

I had never touched a gun before becoming a cop, and now I shoot really well. Keep in mind that any decently run firearms training program will assume the student has zero firearms experience. They start from the bottom and build you up.

If you want to prepare, focus on getting in the best shape of your life. The shooting part is relatively easy.

Comment

Ah yes, thanks for the replys. That is probably best because I have some problems with trigger pull. I have not been shooting for too long though so I should be fine with proper instruction and training. I do consider myself to be in great shape; just been trying to put on some muscle mass here lately. Thanks again for advice and I will stick with it, and continue to work hard getting into tip-top shape.

Comment

Just before going to the academy, my son wanted me to take him out and teach him how to shoot a pistol (he never shot one before, only shotguns). I refused, telling him that all he would accomplish was to pick up my bad habits. I knew who his firearm instructor would be in the academy and I told him to "listen and do what your instructor tells you". He graduated a few months back with the Top Gun trophy.
                Your instructors will teach you what you need to know.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3763 users online. 206 members and 3557 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X