300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instinct vs Training

In your opinion, how much of what you know/do as a cop is in-born and how much was trained into you? For instance, do you run a checklist of pre-attack indicators in your head and that's what makes you expect an attack from a suspect, or do you just "know in your gut" that there's going to be trouble? Some guys I've seen work seem like spiderman; they just know, but I'm not sure if this is the result of a career's worth of training and experience, or if they had their spidey-sense from day one on the job.

Thanks in advance.

That's why we train, to get over your bad instinct... So, basically what I'm trying to say is that your training will revamp your instincts. With that being said, a cop has to have the capability to be violent from day one, or they will fail during a life-threatening situation. It's difficult to train someone that has zero instinct to protect themselves.

I don't think anyone has a "spidey-sense" from day one on the job. Some people can read others pretty well, but nobody is perfect. The longer you're on the job, the better you get at recognizing this stuff.
    "I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement."
    -Calvin Coolidge

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unk

Comment

Originally posted by LPD003 View Post
      That's why we train, to get over your bad instinct... So, basically what I'm trying to say is that your training will revamp your instincts. With that being said, a cop has to have the capability to be violent from day one, or they will fail during a life-threatening situation. It's difficult to train someone that has zero instinct to protect themselves.

I don't think anyone has a "spidey-sense" from day one on the job. Some people can read others pretty well, but nobody is perfect. The longer you're on the job, the better you get at recognizing this stuff.
      ^^ Dead on. Training over and over will form "muscle memory" and in high stress situations your training kicks in. I am at about a year on, and I am still working on my "Spidey senses". You have to be ready for anything out there, and I try to behave as if anyone I come into contact with wants to harm me. Gotta stay on your toes.

Comment

Working on your "Spidey-senses" will continue throughout your career. I would lend one suggestion... Don't "behave" as if anyone you come in to contact with wants to harm you. Be prepared, but if they know you're "behaving" like you think they're going to kill you, they'll get offended and you could escalate the situation. Nobody likes to be treated like criminals, even criminals... You can be safe and tactful without "behaving" like you're a robot. In fact, more often than not, you will escalate the situation and leave a bad taste in their mouth if they're the 99% of the population that aren't going to hurt you. Be respectful and have a plan if someone decides to mess with you and you'll go places.

Not sure if that's what you meant by that and I pry took your message out of context, but thought I'd point it out.
        "I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement."
        -Calvin Coolidge

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unk

Comment

Originally posted by LPD003 View Post
          Working on your "Spidey-senses" will continue throughout your career. I would lend one suggestion... Don't "behave" as if anyone you come in to contact with wants to harm you. Be prepared, but if they know you're "behaving" like you think they're going to kill you, they'll get offended and you could escalate the situation. Nobody likes to be treated like criminals, even criminals... You can be safe and tactful without "behaving" like you're a robot. In fact, more often than not, you will escalate the situation and leave a bad taste in their mouth if they're the 99% of the population that aren't going to hurt you. Be respectful and have a plan if someone decides to mess with you and you'll go places.

Not sure if that's what you meant by that and I pry took your message out of context, but thought I'd point it out.
          It's ok, I just meant im on my toes and observant of hands, body language, etc.... I don't project it to them necessarily, just keep it in the back of my mind. Thanks for the advice though, I'm still learning how to be a cop!

Comment

There's the old saying: Be polite, be respectful, but have a plan to kill every person you meet. Just assume that every person you come in contact with is going to try to hurt you, and try to be ready for the fight. That doesn't mean you're a jerk and standoffish with everyone, but you just have to always be ready to roll.

Comment

Benjamin, I agree. I just hate when cops escalate situations by treating everyone like they've got a bazooka in their front seat.
              -Calvin Coolidge

Comment

LPD, I would love to be a K-9 handler one day. So cool.

Comment

I believe training is the key along with individual charateristics. I have pulled my weapon several times in high stress situations and can't remember drawing it from the holster. I know that yes sometimes you do have a gut feeling. At the time you may not be able to place your finger on it, but if you feel it go with it. It's better to be safe than dead.
                  "Jesus and I are a two man car"

Comment

I'm actually no longer a K-9 Handler. I should pry update my stuff. I stopped simply because I had a ton of stuff going on, between our SWAT team, being a firearms instructor, being defensive tactics instructor etc... It was too much for me to bite off all at once to be honest.

It's the most rewarding and frustrating thing I've done in law enforcement so far though. Well worth it if you get a chance to be one.
                    -Calvin Coolidge

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4327 users online. 249 members and 4078 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X