300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for road/patrol officers

Is the drive back to the station/jail awkward after stuffing a perp in the back of your car? I can only imagine the conversations that you guys and gals must have through the cage on the trip back. Do most of them keep quiet, are a lot of them rowdy?

Also, if a suspect gives up their right to remain silent, do they ever have to be re-Mirandized again at any point in the investigation of their crime? For example, if they talk at the scene of the crime and then later on after the night in jail are questioned by a detective, does the detective have to advise them of their rights again, or is it implied that they were already advised of them at the scene of the crime? I've been taking an online class on criminal investigation, and it wasn't mentioned in the text.

Thanks for answering my questions. I appreciate your time!

Originally posted by jlink38 View Post
    Is the drive back to the station/jail awkward after stuffing a perp in the back of your car? I can only imagine the conversations that you guys and gals must have through the cage on the trip back. Do most of them keep quiet, are a lot of them rowdy?
    You get a mix of totally quiet to screaming and yelling. For most of the people in the back seat, it isn't their first trip. Most will talk to you about all kinds of things. What's fun is the guy who is so angry at "that cop who arrested me" thinking you'll be on their side. Little do they realize that you are "that cop".

Originally posted by jlink38 View Post
    Also, if a suspect gives up their right to remain silent, do they ever have to be re-Mirandized again at any point in the investigation of their crime? For example, if they talk at the scene of the crime and then later on after the night in jail are questioned by a detective, does the detective have to advise them of their rights again, or is it implied that they were already advised of them at the scene of the crime? I've been taking an online class on criminal investigation, and it wasn't mentioned in the text.
    It depends. The best practice is to Mirandize a suspect each time you interview them when their in custody. In your example, if the suspect was advised on the street and the detective has first-hand knowledge of it AND the in-jail interview occurs as they arrive at jail, you wouldn't have to re-do. If there's a gap of time between the two, you need to re-read the warnings.

Lastly, we never assume that the warnings have been read. We don't get to take mulligans on that.
    Originally posted by kontemplerande
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
      You get a mix of totally quiet to screaming and yelling. For most of the people in the back seat, it isn't their first trip. Most will talk to you about all kinds of things. What's fun is the guy who is so angry at "that cop who arrested me" thinking you'll be on their side. Little do they realize that you are "that cop".

It depends. The best practice is to Mirandize a suspect each time you interview them when their in custody. In your example, if the suspect was advised on the street and the detective has first-hand knowledge of it AND the in-jail interview occurs as they arrive at jail, you wouldn't have to re-do. If there's a gap of time between the two, you need to re-read the warnings.

Lastly, we never assume that the warnings have been read. We don't get to take mulligans on that.
      Awesome, thank you for your informative answer. It is much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post

spot on^^

Comment

A lot of people go to jail without being Mirandized, especially for witnessed minor offenses because there is nothing to interview the suspect about.

Comment

God invented the in car radio for this reason. I turn Metallica up loud enough I can't hear the drunk yelling in the back.
            Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Speed bumps !!!!!!!!
              "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Dogs/deer/or whatever crossing the road.............................................. .........
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I agree with SRT936, I've got the full spectrum of people who remain calm, some cry, but I've found very few spend the 20 min drive to jail actually shouting obscenities at me. I've used the loud radio technique as well. For the arrests who have been obnoxious, I document their behavior in the arrest affidavit. In a few cases, the prosecutor has brought it up in court against them.

As far as Miranda warnings, if I am not asking questions and they are spewing off at the mouth, it's all admissible in court. It is when I ask the questions that Miranda comes into play, but if they are doing the talking it's a "spontaneous utterance" and fair game. I "Mirandize" all my arrests, just once, and immediately after making the arrest.
                  Tac Six One

"For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~Romans 13

Comment

Ha, since I usually drive the older Chevy Impala (with the surprisingly good bass), I pump up the local rap station and we get through the drive just fine... or I play some classic rock (depending on the perp).

Comment

Originally posted by JDCOP View Post
                      God invented the in car radio for this reason. I turn Metallica up loud enough I can't hear the drunk yelling in the back.
                      country music for the thugs, rap music for the Whiskey Tangos, spanish station for the racist klan types..
                      Originally posted by crass cop
                      Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by JDCOP View Post
                        This is what I do, turn the music up! Unless they are off their meds, then I get to talk about Jesus and Aliens

Comment

I don't talk...I prefer the awkward silence.
                          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by LaPlaca View Post
                            country music for the thugs, rap music for the Whiskey Tangos, spanish station for the racist klan types..
                            Haha that's great! Lord knows CenTex is full of all three.

Thanks for your insight, I guess "the ride" isn't as crazy as I thought it would be.

Comment

I ask them what they want to listen to on the radio before we take off if they are being obnoxious. They usually answer with an obscenity or "anything but..." which is the station I usually tune it to. It is a 30 minute ride to jail for us and I am considering putting an annoying alarm clock back there so they can listen to that the whole time while I put in my earplugs.

To add to Iowa's comment I stop for all chipmunks! Sometimes there are a lot of chipmunks.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6748 users online. 355 members and 6393 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X