300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polygraph

Hi, my brother is a recruiting SGT. for my local police department and he says that they use the polygraph to just "scare" people into telling the truth. They do it so people admit to stuff in the background. And the background investigation is good enough. He also says the Academy Of Science has bashed the polygraph and so has NASA.

I also have a friend that is a police officer in another department who says you can miss a few minor questions, but not a lot and still get hired.

Does the majority of the departments do the same?
    Last edited by Brinksta; 03-13-2011, 07:12 PM.

In a word------NO.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Brinksta View Post
      Hi, my brother is a recruiting SGT. for my local police department and he says that they use the polygraph to just "scare" people into telling the truth. They do it so people admit to stuff in the background. And the background investigation is good enough. He also says the Academy Of Science has bashed the polygraph and so has NASA.

I also have a friend that is a police officer in another department who says you can miss a few minor questions, but not a lot and still get hired.

Does the majority of the departments do the same?
      What would NASA have to do with polygraph's?

No one on the board necessarily believes in polygraphs, however they are a fact of life in Law Enforcement Hiring.......................if you don't want to be exposed, don't apply at departments that utilize them.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

^^what he said

Comment

Is there something in your background that is causing you concern over passing the polygraph?
          sigpic

Comment

I should refer you to the Search Function, as we have done numerous threads on the Polygraph. I'll humor you though. First, the usual disclaimer. I am neither a Polygraph Examiner, nor am I an expert on the instrument. Having been involved in Background Investigations, I feel I can offer you some thoughts on the Polygraph. From those , draw your own conclusions. The Polygraph can't tell whether or not you're lying anymore than a Coca Cola machine can. It's simply an investigative tool, and a controversial one at that. Many of my colleagues are far from being fans of the Polygraph. A properly administered Polygraph exam should contain no surprises. The examiner goes over all the questions he/she proposes to ask the applicant, and the applicant is afforded the opportunity to explain any replies which might cause a reaction from the Polygraph. Keep in mind too, that seldom if ever, is the Polygraph Examiner in a decision making role in the hiring process. He/she simply passes on the exam's findings to a person more highly placed in that process. Quite often, in cases where the exam is inconclusive, or the Polygraph indicates deception, the applicant is afforded the opportunity to take a subsequent exam, this with another Examiner. Popular or not, the use of the Polygraph in hiring processes is pretty much a fact of life.

Comment

I've seen them work to extent and I've also seen them not work.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimble View Post
                Is there something in your background that is causing you concern over passing the polygraph?
                In no way do I plan on being deceptive on the polygraph. I do not lie and I am not that kind of person. What I am worried about his answering a question truthfully and the polygraph showing I am being deceptive. That one question could ruin my dream of law enforcement. Putting my dream on the accuracy of a polygraph worries me, honestly.

Comment

In my experience, the polygraph was definitely set up to try to "scare" or intimidate the applicant into contradicting themselves. For example, my background investigator, a week before the test, reviewed my application and said that it was my last chance to alter or change any answer on the application. If there was any grey area, we went over it and I would explain what happened and why I answered the way I did. But it was clear that my answers were my answers and could not be changed later.

Then, at the polygraph, the examiner starts out by saying "we're not looking for perfect people, we're looking for people who are mature enough to admit when they've made a mistake" and then said that it's okay if I've done this or that and that I won't be DQd if I just admit to it, and "gave me the opportunity to correct my application". Of course I had been truthful about everything on my application, so there was no need for me to change any answers or admit to anything more than I already had on the application, but I know that the examiner was lying, and that if an applicant did disclose more than they already had on the application he or she would be disqualified because the agency does not want people who are only honest when they are confronted with a polygraph. It's just an attempt to catch you in a lie. So just don't lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Brinksta View Post
                    He also says the Academy Of Science has bashed the polygraph and so has NASA.
                    Dunno about NASA, but the Academy of Science doesn't think they are accurate at all.

I don't mind polygraphs as a tool in the process. It can point a BI in the right direction, but unfortunately there are departments that will base hiring decisions on them... and that is wrong in my opinion.

Comment

Polygraph and CVSA = Black magic
                      Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Originally posted by benseventeen View Post
                        In my experience, the polygraph was definitely set up to try to "scare" or intimidate the applicant into contradicting themselves. For example, my background investigator, a week before the test, reviewed my application and said that it was my last chance to alter or change any answer on the application. If there was any grey area, we went over it and I would explain what happened and why I answered the way I did. But it was clear that my answers were my answers and could not be changed later.

Then, at the polygraph, the examiner starts out by saying "we're not looking for perfect people, we're looking for people who are mature enough to admit when they've made a mistake" and then said that it's okay if I've done this or that and that I won't be DQd if I just admit to it, and "gave me the opportunity to correct my application". Of course I had been truthful about everything on my application, so there was no need for me to change any answers or admit to anything more than I already had on the application, but I know that the examiner was lying, and that if an applicant did disclose more than they already had on the application he or she would be disqualified because the agency does not want people who are only honest when they are confronted with a polygraph. It's just an attempt to catch you in a lie. So just don't lie.
                        Your profile identifies you as a student in the process with a Sheriff's Dept. You're not a Cop.....yet. Therefore, you're not supposed to be posting in this section. A large part of being a successful applicant is reading and observing the rules.

Comment

No we don't use polygraphs to scare people. We leave it up to the water boarding technician that does the oral interview.
                          This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

It is an investigative tool.

IT matters not what your feelings are about the technique. Polygraphs /voice stress are a standard investigative tool in Law Enforcement and have proven their worth in that regard no matter if the "science " is debatable or not.

As an approved investigative TOOL, they are a part of the application process in many departments. They are a fact of life.

Comment

Originally posted by goodfella View Post
                              I've seen them work to extent and I've also seen them not work.
                              ^ this

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4161 users online. 263 members and 3898 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X