Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wyofirebirdbaby
    replied
    I think I understand now. It's the job for those who perform best when 95% of the people they encounter don't like or trust them? Kinda like the IRS people?? LOL!

The 9 most feared words in the English language are "I'm from the Government and I'm here to help!"

On a serious note,thanks for all the answers as I had no idea what IA really was or what they did. Now I do. Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• SCDetective
    replied
    I have serious concerns for anyone who volunteers or voluntarily applies for an IA position...big red flag to me. IMHO, the best IA officers are the ones who are you would least expect to volunteer. I'm not talking about the "shady" guy who everyone suspects is on the take, but the guy (or gal) who comes to work everyday and quietly does their job. They may not be the most popular officer among the ranks, but no one really has anything bad to say about them...those make for the most reasonable and fair IA officers. In my experience, the ones who raise their hand are sometimes all too anxious to make a name for themselves at the expense of others.

I don't mean to generalize, but that is what I've seen and experienced in my 10+ years of LE.

Leave a comment:

• mdrdep
    replied
    I had a sgt. that dreamed of going to IA. He was one of the biggest jerks I ever worked for.

Leave a comment:

• coponpatrol
    replied
    This goes back some years, our IA must not have had anything to do because they were sent out in 2 man cars to follow patrol units on their calls to make sure everyone was wearing their hat when out of the car. I lost my hat during a foot chase which ended in a shooting incident and the first two questions were, "where's the bad guy hit, and "where's your hat"?

Later my hat was found squashed in the road. A car had run over it so the department had to buy me a new hat and shield.

My opinion is IA is a bunch of idiots that were or are afraid to work the street.

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    replied
    Originally posted by wyofirebirdbaby View Post
    I'm already confused just thinking how to word this right but here goes..............they police the police so are they the "POLICE" of the police?

I guess what I want to know is how do they reach the rank of IA?
    All of our IA and ICIB investigators are Sgts and above (except for the surveillance crew)....IA handles the admin types of complaints and ICIB the criminal.

All are volunteer positions, and you have to interview for, and be selected for the positions.

Leave a comment:

• mavriktu
    replied
    First step,from what I hear,is perfecting the "pucker",the next would be the placement of the locator device in the chiefs nether regions so that every time he bends over you can excercise the pucker you have been working on so hard.--------------------------just sayin.

Leave a comment:

• deputy x 2
    replied
    Originally posted by wyofirebirdbaby View Post
    I'm already confused just thinking how to word this right but here goes..............they police the police so are they the "POLICE" of the police?

Yeppers you're getting it.

You are assigned to IA....it's kind of a stepping stone per se in our dept. People have a stigma about IA and those assigned to the unit... IA is important...and those who dislike IA have something to hide.

IA can be started internally or from a complaint by the public. I have had three.....from the public....all lies of course!!

Leave a comment:

• wyofirebirdbaby
    replied
    Ok,got it now. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• ummone
    replied
    AI=Internal Affairs.

It's not a rank.

It's a position.

They investigate police officers that are accused of impropriety or criminal acts.

Leave a comment:

• wyofirebirdbaby
    replied
    Originally posted by ummone View Post
    AI are the guys that are so close to retirement that they smell the beach when they roll out of bed.

seriously, they police the police....

Leave a comment:

• ummone
    replied
    AI are the guys that are so close to retirement that they smell the beach when they roll out of bed.

seriously, they police the police....

Leave a comment:

• wyofirebirdbaby
    replied
    Are the people who make up IA LEOs or other professionals or some of both?

Leave a comment:

• deputy x 2
    replied
    IA is the "checks and balances" for those who slipped thru the cracks during the hiring process.

Leave a comment:

• CruiserClass
    replied
    Its the division of the police department you go to when someone formally complains on you and that comes to see you when someone accuses you of a crime.

Leave a comment:

• mikeymedic
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    And is a MUCH better abbreviation than MO
    He's got you there.

We only have 3 officers and 1 reserve here. If there is an IA investigation to be done the DA's office takes the case.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3513 users online. 229 members and 3284 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X