• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is IA and......

What is IA and what do they do?
    I'm old......that's all.

Internal affairs (law enforcement)

The internal affairs (United States terminology) division of a law enforcement agency investigates incidents and plausible suspicions of lawbreaking and professional misconduct attributed to officers on the force. In different systems, internal affairs can go by another name such as "professional standards," "inspectorate general", Office of Professional Responsibility or similar.

Several police departments in the USA have been compelled to institute civilian review or investigation of police misconduct complaints in response to community perception that internal affairs investigations are biased in favor of police officers. For example, San Francisco, California, has its Office of Citizen Complaints, created by voter initiative in 1983, in which civilians who have never been members of the San Francisco Police Department investigate complaints of police misconduct filed against members of the San Francisco Police Department. Washington, DC, has a similar office, created in 1999, known as the Office of Police Complaints.[1]

Due to the sensitive nature of this responsibility, in many departments, officers working internal affairs are not in a detective command, but report directly to the agency's chief, or to a board of civilian police commissioners.

Internal Affairs investigators are bound by stringent rules when conducting their investigations. In California, the Peace Officers Bill of Rights (POBR) is a mandated set of rules found in the Government Code.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...aw_enforcement)

Google is your friend, google is my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
      Internal affairs (law enforcement)

The internal affairs (United States terminology) division of a law enforcement agency investigates incidents and plausible suspicions of lawbreaking and professional misconduct attributed to officers on the force. In different systems, internal affairs can go by another name such as "professional standards," "inspectorate general", Office of Professional Responsibility or similar.

Several police departments in the USA have been compelled to institute civilian review or investigation of police misconduct complaints in response to community perception that internal affairs investigations are biased in favor of police officers. For example, San Francisco, California, has its Office of Citizen Complaints, created by voter initiative in 1983, in which civilians who have never been members of the San Francisco Police Department investigate complaints of police misconduct filed against members of the San Francisco Police Department. Washington, DC, has a similar office, created in 1999, known as the Office of Police Complaints.[1]

Due to the sensitive nature of this responsibility, in many departments, officers working internal affairs are not in a detective command, but report directly to the agency's chief, or to a board of civilian police commissioners.

Internal Affairs investigators are bound by stringent rules when conducting their investigations. In California, the Peace Officers Bill of Rights (POBR) is a mandated set of rules found in the Government Code.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...aw_enforcement)

Google is your friend, google is my friend.
      True,Google works for a lot but sometimes it's not a clear answer or has too many to pick from.

I've heard the word Internal Affairs used on t.v. (I know! The worst info giving contraption around!) and was curious how they were involved with LE. Thank you for your very informative answer! Sounds like they have a tough job.
      I'm old......that's all.

Comment

My agency has a "Standards and Integrity Unit" within the Administrative Division. It performs the same functions/duties as Internal Affairs Units in other Departments.

Comment

My agency has internal affairs that investigates personnel for policy violations and Internal Criminal Investigations that investigates personnel for criminal violations.
          Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
          Albert Einstein

Comment

its an abbreviation for Iowa.
            It snows a LOT
            "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
            The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
            sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
            Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Originally posted by crass cop View Post
              its an abbreviation for Iowa.
              It snows a LOT
              And is a MUCH better abbreviation than MO
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                And is a MUCH better abbreviation than MO
                He's got you there.

We only have 3 officers and 1 reserve here. If there is an IA investigation to be done the DA's office takes the case.

Comment

Its the division of the police department you go to when someone formally complains on you and that comes to see you when someone accuses you of a crime.
                  I miss you, Dave.
                  http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

IA is the "checks and balances" for those who slipped thru the cracks during the hiring process.
                    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Are the people who make up IA LEOs or other professionals or some of both?
                      I'm old......that's all.

Comment

AI are the guys that are so close to retirement that they smell the beach when they roll out of bed.

seriously, they police the police....
                        This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

Originally posted by ummone View Post
                          AI are the guys that are so close to retirement that they smell the beach when they roll out of bed.

seriously, they police the police....
                          I'm already confused just thinking how to word this right but here goes..............they police the police so are they the "POLICE" of the police?

I guess what I want to know is how do they reach the rank of IA?
                          I'm old......that's all.

Comment

AI=Internal Affairs.

It's not a rank.

It's a position.

They investigate police officers that are accused of impropriety or criminal acts.
                            This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

Ok,got it now. Thanks!
                              I'm old......that's all.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5851 users online. 324 members and 5527 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X